Page 77 of 440 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 6592
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What would be wrong with her being 6.3? We have other women who are taller than Diana.
    I know but I think Diana should be a really athletic tall woman but still have a normal stature so 6'3 is pushing it and 5'9-5'11 makes more sense for that.

I mean her mother is generally the same height or taller than Diana. Not only that but the Amazons are generally said to be taller than most men. Given some myths and history of warrior women they were much taller than men in the area they lived

Mighty Member

I mean her mother is generally the same height or taller than Diana. Not only that but the Amazons are generally said to be taller than most men. Given some myths and history of warrior women they were much taller than men in the area they lived
    I'm only talking about Diana herself.

5’11. I mean since Clarke and Bruce got taller they made Diana taller also. It seems that she was 5’11. With her heels she is around 6’2 or 6’3.

Mighty Member

5’11. I mean since Clarke and Bruce got taller they made Diana taller also. It seems that she was 5’11. With her heels she is around 6’2 or 6’3.
    I think Bruce and Clark are still with in a believable range for an average man even if they did get a little taller. So I think she should stay where she is as far as height goes. More muscle is always welcome though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Heracles in the myths was getting along fine with the Amazons. In different versions, Hera either drove him mad to attack them or drove Hippolyta and the Amazons mad to attack him and he killed them in self defense. So as with all things, it was the Gods being dicks that caused things to go south.

I understand the thought process of casting Heracles as a villain in an attempt to subvert the Amazon myth and make the women the heroes, because he's a big easy target. But it does reek of tearing down a symbol of masculinity to prop of the feminine alternative. Hercules's legend looms larger than the details of the ancient myths, he's a pop culture icon that stars in Disney cartoons or has superhero versions of himself made for the Marvel universe, so going from that to rapist and a brute is off putting. The majority of readers would have no problem siding with the Amazons in their origins as having to rebel against a male oppressor, but casting Hercules in the role can be awkward.

Theseus however is much less of a big deal and not nearly as many people are attached to him, and he is either sometimes present with Heracles or replaces him entirely in the myths about the Attic War. Why not just cast him in the villainous role? Same end result.
    The thing is that the Amazons themselves (particularly in stories starring Heracles) were basically used to tear down women to prop up men. And that continues to this day. Hell, Marvel even had a Herucles story with the Amazons as villains right down to the big bad being a character who was an obvious take on Wonder Woman. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Artume_(Earth-616)

The WW story doing the reverse is basically turnabout being fair play.

Theseus could work as a villain for the Amazons but the fact that not many people are attached to him makes it lack the necessary weight in a way. It can come across as wanting to protect a certain heroic man's reputation rather than addressing an issue within the myths.

That said, I think Zeus could work in this role as he has more fame than Theseus but for different reasons than Heracles.

Mighty Member

[Comment Omitted]
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 09-29-2019 at 03:17 AM.

Zeus often tries to rape women. So Zeus is a good choice. Or Ares tries to take the griddle.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-29-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The thing is that the Amazons themselves (particularly in stories starring Heracles) were basically used to tear down women to prop up men. And that continues to this day. Hell, Marvel even had a Herucles story with the Amazons as villains right down to the big bad being a character who was an obvious take on Wonder Woman. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Artume_(Earth-616)

The WW story doing the reverse is basically turnabout being fair play.

Theseus could work as a villain for the Amazons but the fact that not many people are attached to him makes it lack the necessary weight in a way. It can come across as wanting to protect a certain heroic man's reputation rather than addressing an issue within the myths.

That said, I think Zeus could work in this role as he has more fame than Theseus but for different reasons than Heracles.
    I think the original legend of the labor would obviously have to be addressed with DC's Amazons, because it always results in Hippolyta's death and Heracles stealing her girdle, which can't happen. The issue of the women being made monsters to be conquered can be subverted without making Heracles into a full blown irredeemable villain, which he's going to be if he goes as far as to enslave and rape them.

Wonder Woman and her Amazons, and Hercules's origin with them, came into play before Marvel's Hercules. So I wonder if the take on Wonder Woman was in this case "turnabout being fair play" in this Hercules comic?

I'm fine with leaving Hercules where he is, but I can see the logic in not wanting to cast him as a villain. I don't think there is too much weight on his importance, he was left out of the DTV and the movie version of the Amazons' origins and it wasn't that big of a deal.

Historically though, 5'8"-5'10" was the average for men in that area in that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think the original legend of the labor would obviously have to be addressed with DC's Amazons, because it always results in Hippolyta's death and Heracles stealing her girdle, which can't happen. The issue of the women being made monsters to be conquered can be subverted without making Heracles into a full blown irredeemable villain, which he's going to be if he goes as far as to enslave and rape them.

Wonder Woman and her Amazons, and Hercules's origin with them, came into play before Marvel's Hercules. So I wonder if the take on Wonder Woman was in this case "turnabout being fair play" in this Hercules comic?

I'm fine with leaving Hercules where he is, but I can see the logic in not wanting to cast him as a villain. I don't think there is too much weight on his importance, he was left out of the DTV and the movie version of the Amazons' origins and it wasn't that big of a deal.
    Not sure if that really works given that “heroic Hercules, evil Amazons” is a pretty common take already.

I quite liked the fact that Darwyn Cook drew Diana as taller than Clark. But since Superman is supposed to be anywhere from 6'4" to 6'6" I'm not sure if I'm cool with Diana closing in on 7' tall.

5'11" is too short for my personal taste; I'd be fine with Diana being at least 6' tall.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I mean out of all the female villains Doris should be taller than most people.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I quite liked the fact that Darwyn Cook drew Diana as taller than Clark. But since Superman is supposed to be anywhere from 6'4" to 6'6" I'm not sure if I'm cool with Diana closing in on 7' tall.

5'11" is too short for my personal taste; I'd be fine with Diana being at least 6' tall.
    I'm pretty sure Clark is only like 6'3 most of the time and Bruce is usually around that height too.

Yea generally Clark is 6,3, Bruce is 6,2 and Diana is often 6