Page 87 of 440 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Racebending redheads is it's own thing, but chocolate eating, woo woo yelling, comically fat Etta Candy doesn't really work well in modern times.
    Eh, it worked in Earth One and Rebel Wilson has made a career out of, essentially, being Etta Candy.

There are indeed loud, proud, fat women out in the world. Write Etta like an actual character and it'll be celebrated by fans as body positivity. Write her one dimensionally and it'll rightfully be shunned.

But that applies no matter what Etta looks like or who she sleeps with. No one wants cheap, one dimensional characters and will complain when they get them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Instead of trying to bring back Diana Prince, Infinite Crisis should have had Superman and Batman come to the realization that the culture of secrets and lies is what cuased Identity Crisis and Brother Eye to happen.
    This is more like a controversial batman/superman opinion than a Wonder Woman one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    This is more like a controversial batman/superman opinion than a Wonder Woman one.
    Yeah, the Wonder Woman component could be taken right out and you would still have the same statement.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'd be interested in more Wonder Woman stories set in the future.

Want more sci-fi stories. Diana wasn't just about myths but science. Anyone can think about storylines?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, it worked in Earth One and Rebel Wilson has made a career out of, essentially, being Etta Candy.

There are indeed loud, proud, fat women out in the world. Write Etta like an actual character and it'll be celebrated by fans as body positivity. Write her one dimensionally and it'll rightfully be shunned.

But that applies no matter what Etta looks like or who she sleeps with. No one wants cheap, one dimensional characters and will complain when they get them.
    Personally I think Beth Candy is easier to accept than Etta Candy (and her father Hard Candy, her mother Sugar Candy, her brother Mint Candy or her boyfriend Oscar Sweetgulper, I hate a pun).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I'd be interested in more Wonder Woman stories set in the future.
    I would too, and more contemporary ones dealing with intergalactic conflicts and sci-fi elements. Retreading the same ground with Greek mythology gets old and Wonder Woman is so much more than that.

I'd like more stories where Wonder Woman uses her intellect to solve problems, instead of her powers. Along that same vein I want more depictions of her skills. There's an early Gail Simone story where Diana shoots an arrow that pulls the pin on a grenade causing it to explode before it reaches her and in the other direction where the Nazis that threw it were. I may be remembering it wrong but I'd I'd love more displays of skill like that. The lasso isn't always required, she's completely adept in all forms of weaponry, marksmanship and military strategy. Show that to us.

Also make the unity with beast powers useful. Animal recognizance should be a standard occurrence, not just a one off like when Rucka showed her using a panther to find the male Cheetah's location. She's friends with birds, they have eyes everywhere. A.R.G.U.S. surveillance, GPS and satellite imaging shouldn't be needed. And if they are, put it in a bracelet, the Amazons are technologically advanced, writers seem to forget that.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 11-10-2019 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Yeah, the Wonder Woman component could be taken right out and you would still have the same statement.
    The Wonder Woman component is relevant to how Diana was clearly the only one of the Trinity who did nothing wrong yet was the only one who had to learn a permanent lesson. Infinite Crisis ignored Clark covering up the League's mindwipes and Bruce creating Brother Eye (which killed several Amazons among others) was forgotten about almost immediately. Infinite Crisis and its aftermath are a clear case of DC's favoritism of Batman and to a lesser extent Superman over Wonder Woman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I would too, and more contemporary ones dealing with intergalactic conflicts and sci-fi elements. Retreading the same ground with Greek mythology gets old and Wonder Woman is so much more than that.

I'd like more stories where Wonder Woman uses her intellect to solve problems, instead of her powers.
    This is why I'm personally a fan of the Diana Prince identity and Diana working in a prestigious museum. Something I thought the movie did exceptionally well was show how well educated Diana was. She spoke multiple languages, including dead ones, and had a prestigious job at the Louvre. This automatically shows and tells the audience about Diana's level of intellect and education.
    My unpopular opinion is that I would love for Diana working at a museum and even planning outreach activities for the museum to become cannon for comics Diana. Having a civilian does a lot for a character including allowing us to see the person's outside interests from super heroics.

I'd like more stories where Wonder Woman uses her intellect to solve problems, instead of her powers. Along that same vein I want more depictions of her skills. There's an early Gail Simone story where Diana shoots an arrow that pulls the pin on a grenade causing it to explode before it reaches her and in the other direction where the Nazis that threw it were. I may be remembering it wrong but I'd I'd love more displays of skill like that.
    That's a little too-high skill in archery to me, and something that should be kept for the archer characters. I don't like a character being unbelievably skilled in everything. It's a problem with comic characters in general, to me. I want her to be very good at archery, best of the Amazons maybe even, but that's up to an unbelievable/unrealistic level and should be kept to characters who specialize to me. I haven't read it, though, so if it is indicated that she is able to do this specifically because super-speed (and perception that speeds up accordingly) allowed it, rather than as a skill from human-level speed/perception, then it's cool.

I would like to see Diana (and the Amazons) with more science skills. Diana used to do some of that. But again, they/she shouldn't be better in every field of science. Different societies focus on different things. Though, as I have said before, I'd like in the context of present-day earth, since that's my preferred setting.

Having a civilian does a lot for a character including allowing us to see the person's outside interests from super heroics.
    True.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-10-2019 at 06:54 AM.

I feel like people are so desperate to have the secret identity back they'll reach for any reason for it regardless of how little it makes sense. Diana's level of education has had nothing to do with whether or not she has had a secret identity and she usually has to dumb herself down for her identity to work (great message for women and girls there). We've seen an educated Diana without the secret identity. We've seen a Diana who had friends and interests outside of superheroics. None of these required a secret identity.

Scans daily has a summary of an interview Brian Michael Bendis gave on Word Balloon. Here's what was said about secret identities.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/8564598.html#cutid1

* Talking with people made him realize just how much the very concept of the secret identity has fallen out of the pop culture discussion thanks to the MCU, and how the primary equivalent cultural association these days is anonymous folks online where that often manifests in far more troubling ways (not that he considers that at all an equivalent to superhero secret identities, but that it's a huge association now).
    Seems like a good reason for Diana not to have one (not like there aren't plenty of other reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    This is why I'm personally a fan of the Diana Prince identity and Diana working in a prestigious museum. Something I thought the movie did exceptionally well was show how well educated Diana was. She spoke multiple languages, including dead ones, and had a prestigious job at the Louvre. This automatically shows and tells the audience about Diana's level of intellect and education.
    My unpopular opinion is that I would love for Diana working at a museum and even planning outreach activities for the museum to become cannon for comics Diana. Having a civilian does a lot for a character including allowing us to see the person's outside interests from super heroics.
    I try to take a holistic view of characters.

For movie Diana, her assuming the Diana Prince identity and working at the Louvre makes sense. After defeating Ares, she is left without a mission in Man's World. Given her experiences in the movie, her deciding to act discreetly makes sense, and the job she takes on is something that she both can take pride in and feel a connection with her old home.

But in most comics, Diana is not in that position. Not with Marston, and not with Rucka.

Also, a civilian identity is not necessary for showing outside interests. When I read the old Marston comics, it's almost comical how Wonder Woman has far more personality and interests than Diana Prince.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The thing I see that in name only Diana prince works fine. Diana had got others hurt due to her being Wonder Woman. I see nothing wrong if she uses Diana prince when she lived with Vanessa. That she is not using it as a secret is rather a id she can use now and then. A name she uses if she has to get a coffee or to get away form the press. She doesn’t need a job. I just want something where she isn’t going to have the world where she lives all the time. Now if she had to get a job. It shouldn’t something that is like Bruce or Clarke. Something that helps people but she doesn’t need to lie about her education

With Marston’s it’s a bit on what people aspected women to acted like
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 11-10-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I feel like people are so desperate to have the secret identity back they'll reach for any reason for it regardless of how little it makes sense. Diana's level of education has had nothing to do with whether or not she has had a secret identity and she usually has to dumb herself down for her identity to work (great message for women and girls there). We've seen an educated Diana without the secret identity. We've seen a Diana who had friends and interests outside of superheroics. None of these required a secret identity...
    In a world like this, I can see why some find secret identities a hard sell for anyone other than Superman or the street vigilante types. Too many Americans would rather project themselves on a Kardashian rather than on someone that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I try to take a holistic view of characters.

For movie Diana, her assuming the Diana Prince identity and working at the Louvre makes sense. After defeating Ares, she is left without a mission in Man's World. Given her experiences in the movie, her deciding to act discreetly makes sense, and the job she takes on is something that she both can take pride in and feel a connection with her old home.

But in most comics, Diana is not in that position. Not with Marston, and not with Rucka.

Also, a civilian identity is not necessary for showing outside interests. When I read the old Marston comics, it's almost comical how Wonder Woman has far more personality and interests than Diana Prince.
    It's a weird thing to have characters written to have unknown identities but still be trusted by the public. It's less realistic than having super powered aliens. the idea of secret identities isn't really the issue, but that the public really doesn't know who most heroes are at all.

Now Diana isn't one of the worst offenders(Batman), but giving her a full time identity outside being WW is a problem. How many things does she do publically as WW already? It gets into the Batman problem of needing 29 hours a day. Having her do stuff as Diana Prince is fine. But it doesn't work as well if it's a fulltime job.