Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How do you feel about Peter/Spider-man having a mentor ?

I just dislike the idea of Peter having a mentor inserted into his mythos as it takes away what makes him a solo hero in the making. Something like this is okay in the Ultimate verse is okay given that Peter is young and that the world showed that S.H.I.E.L.D has more connections to every hero in that world unlike the 616 world.

However as Fans of the Superhero: What do you think about Spider-man having a mentor ?

I think one of the biggest parts of being Spider-Man, at least when it comes to Peter, is being self-sufficient and working things out on his own without needing someone to have to tell him what to do or help him to a significant degree.

Spider-Man was designed to be the teenage hero who wasn't a sidekick, a position that is often defined by teen heroes working alongside a mentor or adult figure.

That's not to say that Peter can't have mentor or confidante figures in his life, but I don't think Peter should be super-dependent on them and they should not be as actively or significantly involved in Peter's life as, say, MCU Tony Stark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think one of the biggest parts of being Spider-Man, at least when it comes to Peter, is being self-sufficient and working things out on his own without needing someone to have to tell him what to do or help him to a significant degree.

Spider-Man was designed to be the teenage hero who wasn't a sidekick, a position that is often defined by teen heroes working alongside a mentor or adult figure.

That's not to say that Peter can't have mentor or confidante figures in his life, but I don't think Peter should be super-dependent on them and they should not be as actively or significantly involved in Peter's life as, say, MCU Tony Stark.
    Yet wasn't that what his growing rivalry/friendship with The Human Torch was for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Yet wasn't that what his growing rivalry/friendship with The Human Torch was for ?
    I mean, you said it yourself. It's more of a rivalry and friendship then a mentor, mentee, thing.

BANNED

I mean, you said it yourself. It's more of a rivalry and friendship then a mentor, mentee, thing.
    I was thinking more along the lines of Dan Slott's Human Torch and Spider-man mini-series where in a weird way over their long history they taught each other in their own ways. That is what I was thinking.

Extraordinary Member

Having a mentor as Peter at either the Bugle or his science life, sure. As Spider-Man, though? No thanks. One of the big draws of Spidey is that both the good and the bad that he does are his own, no one else's and the mistakes he makes is what he learns from, not the tutlege of someone else.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

No.

If you reread the original comics it's quite clear that Peter was a self-tought person.

Not a fan.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I just dislike the idea of Peter having a mentor inserted into his mythos as it takes away what makes him a solo hero in the making. Something like this is okay in the Ultimate verse is okay given that Peter is young and that the world showed that S.H.I.E.L.D has more connections to every hero in that world unlike the 616 world.

However as Fans of the Superhero: What do you think about Spider-man having a mentor ?
    I know most posters will hate this, but I love the way Tony and Peter had that relationship in the 616 and the movies. I think they both had gains in the end even though it ended bad. Tony was getting Peter to step his science game up and Peter was trying to show Tony how to be a better hero. With great power comes great responsibility.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-13-2018 at 03:31 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I know most posters will hate this, but I love the way Tony and Peter were had that relationship in the 616 and the movies. I think they both had gains in the end even though it ended bad. Tony was getting Peter to step his science game up and Peter was trying to show Tony how to be a Peter hero. With great power comes great responsibility.
    I have to agree. His relationship with Iron Man during Civil War was an interesting wrinkle (which lead to some great drama) and I love their current dynamic in the MCU.
    That said, I don't think Spidey having a mentor should be a permanent change to the status quo. Spider-Man works best when he's unconventional in comparison with the larger universe. But having things upset/work against that every now and then keeps things exciting, which is why I liked him being under Tony's wing for a short while.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I know most posters will hate this, but I love the way Tony and Peter were had that relationship in the 616 and the movies. I think they both had gains in the end even though it ended bad. Tony was getting Peter to step his science game up and Peter was trying to show Tony how to be a Peter hero. With great power comes great responsibility.
    It's hard for me to look at Peter and Tony's relationship without thinking about how it ended per Civil War.

Having someone who's sole purpose is to be a mentor to him, I would say no, but I do think Peter having someone that he looks up to that he can seek out and can go to for help when he's not Spider-Man is very important to his character. Someone like Robbie all the way up to Max, etc. I think would fit that bill and have worked very well throughout the entire series.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Having someone who's sole purpose is to be a mentor to him, I would say no, but I do think Peter having someone that he looks up to that he can seek out and can go to for help when he's not Spider-Man is very important to his character. Someone like Robbie all the way up to Max, etc. I think would fit that bill and have worked very well throughout the entire series.
    I think those kinds of characters (Robbie, Captain Stacy, Max, even Dr. Connors etc.) are what I call "inoffensive mentors," in that they provide a positive adult figure or role model for Peter but aren't as ingrained to his career and life that he is subservient to them or need them as Spider-Man.

Even villains like Norman and, again, Connors can fulfill this role.

I think those kinds of characters (Robbie, Captain Stacy, Max, even Dr. Connors etc.) are what I call "inoffensive mentors," in that they provide a positive adult figure or role model for Peter but aren't as ingrained to his career and life that he is subservient to them or need them as Spider-Man.

Even villains like Norman and, again, Connors can fulfill this role.
    Yeah, I think that is the perfect fit for the character, Spider-Man himself doesn't need any actual full-on mentors. The closest I think he's gotten is Ezekiel, and that turned out to be a mixed bag. Not to mention, Peter's been Spider-Man for so long already it wouldn't make sense for him to suddenly get a mentor now to be a better hero.

Spider-man having a mentor is the opposite of how he was created and who he's supposed to be. Which is why I can't stand the way the MCU Spider-man is all "Mister Stark, look how great I look in your fancy costume!".