Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Default [SPOILERS] Amazing Spider-Man #2 Discussion Thread

What did everyone think? I love what Spencer is doing with Spider-Man, and I'm glad to say he's completely upturned my initially low expectations with his stellar first 2 issues. I loved what he did with with Peter and MJ last issue, and now he made another awesome step by getting rid of the Daily Bugle job so Peter can do science again. It seems like Spencer knows just what I want from the book and is sequentially fulfilling all my wishes, haha. Great stuff!
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This was pretty fun. No tricks with Peter and MJ, and pretty solid writing for everyone. I just hope they ignore the Lizard's grosser past, though they did keep that he eats people.

Looks like Spencer's definitely going to be pulling lots of random reveal cliffhangers for the final pages of this series, but as long as he keeps up with the solid middle stuff, I'll keep buying!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

#803 was a light, fun and breezy read, if that makes any sense. After a decade of Slott, it sure is great to have a fresh creative team on the Flagship Marvel Comic... Makes me wonder why Ramos is doing some fill in issues soon, I'm a big fan of his, but honestly I think he's done enough on this book and I have had my fill of him.

As a fan of the marriage, obviously seeing Peter and MJ back together is great, especially after Spencer tricked us months back by saying there was gonna be 'a new love interest' on his run. But as promising as these two new issues seem so far, I'm reluctant to get fully excited about this because modern creators these days seem to delight in pulling the rug from underneath readers just to p-them off.

I hope the MJ/pete reunion is permanent and that Spencer has a long term plan going fwd on how to re-develop their relationship, in an ideal world moving back towards marriage (in #900?). If Marvel now has Miles Morales as a teen Spidey, then surly we can let Pete grow up a bit more? To split Pete and MJ once again in the future would be even more dumb than if they had not got back together. It's clear there's never gonna be another love interest (post Gwen) that ever matches up to MJ so I hope they make the most of this.

I'm not sure what to make of Ryan Ottley yet... On the one hand I do dig his clean lines and the cartoony energy he brings to action scenes and fights... On the other I'm not sure about the overly pointy chins and the way he draws MJ's face sometimes (slightly reminds me of Greta from Gremlins 2)... Overall I dig his art mostly because it is so different to what has come before and the main thing the book needed was a fresh approach top to bottom.

But Connors being rehired by ESU really stretches plausibility....
    Looking fwd to #3.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

It was pretty good. That last reveal though. What the what?!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    It was pretty good. That last reveal though. What the what?!
    Miles? .................................................. ........

BANNED

I think the Genome thingmajig has something to do with the new Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I think the Genome thingmajig has something to do with the new Pete
    Derp, oh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    What did everyone think? I love what Spencer is doing with Spider-Man, and I'm glad to say he's completely upturned my initially low expectations with his stellar first 2 issues. I loved what he did with with Peter and MJ last issue, and now he made another awesome step by getting rid of the Daily Bugle job so Peter can do science again. It seems like Spencer knows just what I want from the book and is sequentially fulfilling all my wishes, haha. Great stuff!
    Well, he was basically doing both with his new Bugle job...

Incredible Member

Am I confused or didn't Curt Conners eat his own son? If so, Peter's joke about him being sure he hasn't eaten anyone, "not even a finger?" really took me out of the book. I know the book it tilted towards comedy, but that seems extremely insensitive to me.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the issue. Funny, and while it has a slightly awkward pace as it hops between scenes, it's still a brisk and fun read without feeling empty. Ryan Ottley still doing good work, but I'm excited to see him grow into the character. I'm hoping the editors will let loose and let him show off how great he is at drawing ultra-violence at some point. Also, I think it'd be great if he could round off some of those angles and edges. Far be it for me to tell him how to draw, but I've seen some of his personal Spider-Man work online that seems a little more rounded and it looks great.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Am I confused or didn't Curt Conners eat his own son? If so, Peter's joke about him being sure he hasn't eaten anyone, "not even a finger?" really took me out of the book. I know the book it tilted towards comedy, but that seems extremely insensitive to me.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the issue. Funny, and while it has a slightly awkward pace as it hops between scenes, it's still a brisk and fun read without feeling empty. Ryan Ottley still doing good work, but I'm excited to see him grow into the character. I'm hoping the editors will let loose and let him show off how great he is at drawing ultra-violence at some point. Also, I think it'd be great if he could round off some of those angles and edges. Far be it for me to tell him how to draw, but I've seen some of his personal Spider-Man work online that seems a little more rounded and it looks great.
    He did, yeah. Then in the lead-up to The Clone Conspiracy, the new Jackal (actually Ben Reilly, driven to megalomania by repeated torturous resurrections by the original Jackal, Miles Warren) "reanimated" his son as well as his wife, who had died earlier of cancer, using them to get Connors to assist him in his plans to "conquer death." When things went pear-shaped thanks partly to the intervention of Spider-Man and partly to Doctor Octopus, whose new clone body was inhabited by the preserved brain patterns of the original Otto Octavius from the Superior Spider-Man period, turning on the new Jackal for insinuating that Anna Maria (whom Ock romanced as "Peter Parker") was less than perfect because of her condition and then for being a Spider-Clone, the new Jackal decided he might as well "reanimate" the entire human race, turning the signal Doctor Octopus was using to degenerate the clones/"reanimates" the new Jackal had created worldwide so that the virus spread by the degenerating clones/"reanimates" would infect everyone. He was stopped by a countersignal created by Spider-Man and Anna Maria and then spread through the Parker Industries Webware devices, but by then, Connors' "reanimated" family was succumbing to the degeneration, and to save them, he used the Lizard formula on them, which halted their physical degeneration but not so much their mental deterioration. Hopefully that does get followed up on at some point, if Connors is going to be a regular part of Peter's supporting cast going forward.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

I can't even begin saying what I loved about this comic. The art, the writing, MJ; everything feels just right!

Now, after a long time, I'm enjoying Amazing Spider-Man again. It's definitely a fresh start.

Between this book, Immortal Hulk and Venom, Marvel is in pretty good shape!

BANNED

Too soon?

In fairness to Peter he was totally taken aback by seeing the Lizard.

He might well have thought about what he said later and cringed at making an inadvertently thoughtless comment.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the issue. Funny, and while it has a slightly awkward pace as it hops between scenes, it's still a brisk and fun read without feeling empty.
    Yeah, it was a really solid second issue and confirms that Spencer and Ottley have exactly the right chemistry and sensibilities to do a killer Spidey.

It definitely speaks to just how good they are that they've been able to immediately make such a strong impression following Slott's epic run.

One might have thought they'd be toiling in Slott's shadow for at least an arc or two but, no, that hasn't been the case. They've instantly made ASM theirs.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 07-25-2018 at 04:44 PM.

You guys know that this is my favorite Marvel book going right now, and for good reason! It's the writing, art, humor, action, romance and more that's pulling me in.

One thing I'm hyped about is Mary Jane. I like how she explained "fresh start" (badumdss), and why she feels that it's the right time. My only question is how they're going to tell other people? I'm sure Aunt May would be absolutely thrilled lol

So far so good seeing Mj and Peter feels right. I wonder how he's going to deal with the spilt cause I can bet that they will play with one of them would wanting to remain separated so that will be interesting to see

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    You guys know that this is my favorite Marvel book going right now, and for good reason! It's the writing, art, humor, action, romance and more that's pulling me in.

One thing I'm hyped about is Mary Jane. I like how she explained "fresh start" (badumdss), and why she feels that it's the right time. My only question is how they're going to tell other people? I'm sure Aunt May would be absolutely thrilled lol
    Exactly how I feel about.