Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's hard for me to look at Peter and Tony's relationship without thinking about how it ended per Civil War.
    I know it ended pretty badly, but I love how Tony, Peter, MJ and Aunt May were living together in Stark Tower. It was like Tony had a new family for a little bit.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-13-2018 at 03:40 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I think some of you are confusing a 'mentor' and just someone 'to look up to', regarding MCU Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I think some of you are confusing a 'mentor' and just someone 'to look up to', regarding MCU Tony.
    Yeah, I agree. I never saw MCU Tony as a real mentor to MCU Peter because he never actually did anything. Other than giving him the suit, it was always more like Peter looked up to him and tried to gain his approval whenever possible, while Tony would just show up to scold or praise him. He didn't really teach him anything, that was all still Peter.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Spider-Man having a mentor kinda goes against everything the character was originally intended to be, which is why I think it's a bad idea. That's also part of the reason why MCU Spider-Man is such a bad adaptation.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

the movies are the movies, the comics are the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I never saw MCU Tony as a real mentor to MCU Peter because he never actually did anything. Other than giving him the suit, it was always more like Peter looked up to him and tried to gain his approval whenever possible, while Tony would just show up to scold or praise him. He didn't really teach him anything, that was all still Peter.
    He gives Peter his suit and resources, is trying to develop him into an Avenger, has Peter work with Happy, keeps tabs on him, and tries to impart at least a few words of wisdom.

I wouldn't say he was a particularly good mentor, but he was pretty darn close to being one. I also think, as far as the MCU creatives and actors are concerned, Tony is pretty much Peter's mentor.

And, I mean, who's voice is it Peter hears when he's doing the lifting of the weight scene? Tony Stark.

Mighty Member

When it comes to a teenage Peter, I'm going to have to say I don't like the idea of him having a superhero mentor. I kind of feel that his story was a "coming of age story" where a boy becomes a man. He had to figure stuff out on his own and was resourceful enough to handle things without other's approval or help. Spider-Man was a self made hero. I think my BIGGEST gripe with more recent adaptions of Spider-Man as a teenager is they play up incompetence to a RIDICULOUS degree. I think this is the reason why I've only really liked one adaption that brought him back to high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    the movies are the movies, the comics are the comics.
    So?

The comics are the source material that all the other forms of media are based off of.

And while it's necessary to change certain things there should always be trying to keep somewhat faithful to the original material.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    When it comes to a teenage Peter, I'm going to have to say I don't like the idea of him having a superhero mentor. I kind of feel that his story was a "coming of age story" where a boy becomes a man. He had to figure stuff out on his own and was resourceful enough to handle things without other's approval or help. Spider-Man was a self made hero. I think my BIGGEST gripe with more recent adaptions of Spider-Man as a teenager is they play up incompetence to a RIDICULOUS degree. I think this is the reason why I've only really liked one adaption that brought him back to high school.
    I think I can guess which one that is .

He doesn't need a mentor, he's been a solo hero for little over 50 years now. The time for him to have had a mentor would have been in his high school or early college years, I realize that the writers can retcon or add onto the already established history via the comics' already ambiguous timeline however I don't see the point in it.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    He doesn't need a mentor, he's been a solo hero for little over 50 years now. The time for him to have had a mentor would have been in his high school or early college years, I realize that the writers can retcon or add onto the already established history via the comics' already ambiguous timeline however I don't see the point in it.
    I feel the same way about the concept of a "Spider-Family."

I've always been meh on that concept. I don't mind Miguel because technically he's from the future, and I guess I'm partial to Ben & Kaine out of clone saga bias but the rest...take it or leave as far as i'm concerned.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    I've always been meh on that concept. I don't mind Miguel because technically he's from the future, and I guess I'm partial to Ben & Kaine out of clone saga bias but the rest...take it or leave as far as i'm concerned.
    I mean, I like characters like the Scarlet Spiders, Miguel, the Spider-Women, and Miles, but I don't think the narrative of Spider-Man works with a bunch of Spider-People around.

Just like I'm a fan of Iron Man, but really do not care for him serving any kind of significant mentor role with Spider-Man.

Ew, no.. just.. wow, ew..

As others noted he was literally crafted to not have those extremely shitty strings attached.

The way I've understood the concept of the "Spider-Family" is that it is a web (lol) of these characters, each in their own corners doing their own things, and if they need to they'll connect with each other to accomplish a specific goal, but for the most part all on their own. It's not like the Bat-family where all of them are there for each other and working together is part of the point. Though I would still be interested to see how that approach would work with these characters and interacting off each other more.