Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How good is Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison?

What are your most unforgettable memory/scene from the book itself? Heard the book was a strange one, but I'd love to hear your takeaways about it! Cheers!

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The flat artwork by Richard Case that takes up much of Morrison's run took me out of the story. As for Grant Morrison's writing itself? It's alright, at least by his standards. Doom Patrol is not his worst (Happy in my opinion) nor his best (Sebastion O or his Wonder Woman) Overall, while it was exceptional for it's time, compared to other work by Morrison, I find it underwhelming today. If you want something that's totally coked out and submerged in balls to the wall weirdness read Invisibles.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I haven't read it in years, but I think you'll find it pretty entertaining. It's young, scappy Morrison who was still playing the "bad boy" of the comics industry. However, I am sure it seems far more mainstream today compared to what Morrison's done since.

Pretty solid.

Incredible Member

one of my fav runs of all time.

Loved it. His run and Gerard Way's are my favorites.

I always remember the Dadaism issues, after I finished reading it I had to research Dadaism.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I always remember the Dadaism issues, after I finished reading it I had to research Dadaism.
    My fave art movement! Got my copy from TOW.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Loved it. His run and Gerard Way's are my favorites.
    Great! Can't wait to read it. Bought a copy today.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    one of my fav runs of all time.

Looking forward to reading it! Heard it's massive! Did you have any trouble reading it?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Pretty solid.

Awesome! That's what I've been hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The flat artwork by Richard Case that takes up much of Morrison's run took me out of the story. As for Grant Morrison's writing itself? It's alright, at least by his standards. Doom Patrol is not his worst (Happy in my opinion) nor his best (Sebastion O or his Wonder Woman) Overall, while it was exceptional for it's time, compared to other work by Morrison, I find it underwhelming today. If you want something that's totally coked out and submerged in balls to the wall weirdness read Invisibles.
    Will check the Invisibles out! Is it better than Doom Patrol? What was your fave Morrison run? I heard he was really a "trippy" guy with lots of surreal ideas.
    Last edited by theboychild; 08-12-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I haven't read it in years, but I think you'll find it pretty entertaining. It's young, scappy Morrison who was still playing the "bad boy" of the comics industry. However, I am sure it seems far more mainstream today compared to what Morrison's done since.

I think so too - more like "Sgt. Pepper" mix to it, plus I love the 90s art. Got my copy today so I'm excited to read it! Still reading Fourth World by Kirby.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    Looking forward to reading it! Heard it's massive! Did you have any trouble reading it?
    I think it goes from issue 19 to 63 so it is long but its an easy read - many small arcs tied together inside one large arc.

It can be quite dense at times so some issues can take a little while to read but there are some very funny and clever done in one stories too.

Its nowhere near as dense / confusing / trippy as say freakwave or rogan gosh by peter milligan but it does a great job of making a lot of diverse ideas into a coherent narrative.

Great art by richard case too.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    Will check the Invisibles out! Is it better than Doom Patrol? What was your fave Morrison run? I heard he was really a "trippy" guy with lots of surreal ideas.
    The Invisibles starts off a tad sluggish, but in essence, once Jill Thompson jumps on the series, it's smooth sailing from there.

Personally my favorite Morrison run is the latter half of his Batman run (Batman and Robin & Batman Incorporated) Morrison's Batman (both Dick and Bruce) is what I consider the best iteration of the character and what the character needed to become in order to function in the 21 century.

Morrison is akin to fine wine. His writing ability seems to get better and better with age. A rarity in any medium

His early work ranges from mediocre to proficient.
    (Arkham Asylum, Doom Patrol, Zenith, Animal Man)

His following work in the mid nineties vastly improves
    (Sebastion O, Invisibles, JLA, Flex Mentallo, Mystery Play)

In the 2000s, Morrison's work grows in quality even more
    (New X Men, We3, Seaguy, AllStar Superman, BATMAN)

Now in the 2010s, the quality of Morrison's output is at an all time high in my opinion.

(Annihilator, Nameless, Batman Inc, Wonder Woman)
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 08-12-2018 at 04:25 PM.