Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What is your definitive version of Batman?

This is inspired by the similar thread over on the Superman boards.

So who is your definitive Batman? As in, which version are you most likely to picture when you think about the character? Can be any version from any media.

Also, in a deeper more character-based sense, which version(s) do you think is definitive?

I'll go first...

To me, the BTAS Batman is the definitive Batman...the one who's simply a perfect representation of the character in all aspects. Appearance, characterisation, balance between light and darkness...everything. And BTAS Gotham is one of the purest distillations of Gotham City in any medium. As for Kevin Conroy...well, he's the real 'Bat-God' IMO

That said, the Year One Batman is a close second.

Year One is the story that really laid the foundation for the Batman mythos as we know it today. Its legacy, and its interpretation of the Dark Knight and his world, reverberates far beyond the initial story. You see the influence of Year One in Batman comics all through the late 80's, 90's, 2000's...right up till the present-day. The Burton movies, BTAS, the Nolanverse, the Arkham games - all, on some level or the other, have a bit of Year One in their DNA. And the Year One Batman look is to my mind the definitive comic-book Batman look - so much so that its being brought back as the 'classic' Batsuit very soon!

In a character sense, Year One also features a Bruce Wayne whom we can see evolving into any of the other modern interpretations of the character. This is a Bruce who's filled with determination to set the wrongs of Gotham City right and who finds the perfect weapon to do so in Batman. He realises he's not invincible and sets out to find allies and to be a bit smarter about his crusade. You can see this Bruce evolving into the 'Bat-God' who's prepared for every plan - even the off-chance of his allies going rogue. You can see this Bruce becoming a psychological wreck after his crusade takes too much of a toll on him and the city. You can also see this Bruce becoming a reasonably well-adjusted individual and one of the world's greatest superheroes.

80s Batman for me. Post-Crisis.

Extraordinary Member

Neil Adams, but that isn’t hard because a lot of post Adams work is inspired by him.

I know this will be a controversial opinion for most on this board, but the New 52 physically for ditching the trunks, and adding a bit more detail to it so it looked protected and not just cloth or latex, even if the quality of the look varied from artist to artist (but that's true for all his costumes and looks). Either that or Ben Affleck's costume, which also ditched the trunks and looked protected while also being more traditional and ripping off the Dark Knight Returns look which I love due to the quality of the animated movie.

Voice is still Kevin Conroy, but there's been some exceptional voice talents put their take on Batman and Bruce Greenwood is a close, close second.

The rest is a mix of comics, cartoons, live action films, and so forth. If I went into everything that makes up my "definitive" Batman it would be a long post, so I stuck to the easy answers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    80s Batman for me. Post-Crisis.
    Same here, and to a lesser degree the Animated Series.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The one in my head.

But yeah Neal Adams and BTAS.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

A bit Animated series (the early seasons before the art redesign), a bit Neal Adams and Jim Aparo (I'm one of those rare people that prefers Aparo to Adams), and just a touch of Michael Keaton.

Mighty Member

Chuck Dixon, Denny O'Neil. He was still grounded then. Now he's a complete mess imo.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Astonishing Member

Batman: The Animated Series.

Astonishing Member

After Batman: The Animated Series, Batman: Year One and Grant Morrison's 2006-2013 Batman run.

TBH it really does depend on the context of how I'm thinking him in as when I think of my favourite Batman, the most bad ass Batman, the most epic Batman etc I will get a completely different look. However it's probably the Animated Series Batman that comes closest as the definitive Batman for me..
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Batman RIP,

"Difficult...but far from impossible"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Batman RIP,

My two favourite things from it: Batman of Zur-En-Arrh and the story that follows that encompasses Batman's career. Was called something like What the Butler Did/Didn't See.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Batman RIP,

My two favourite things from it: Batman of Zur-En-Arrh and the story that follows that encompasses Batman's career. Was called something like What the Butler Did/Didn't See.

My definitive Batman is the one that resides in my own head. And that Batman is a mix of O'Neil, Dixon, the pulp sensibilities of the 30's and 40's (including but not limited to Batman's own stories from the era) a lot of Timm's DCAU and a very unhealthy dose of Frank Miller.

More "World's Greatest Detective" and less "Batgod."

More "emotionally stunted Miller" and less "Adam West."

More "pulp" than "street-level sci-fi."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.