Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Batman: The Animated Series.
    All Batman movies excluding Batman v Superman and Batman and Robin.
    Batman comics.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Michael Keaton's Batman. I was 11 when I saw that movie and it was a huge thing back in 89. Everybody I knew saw that movie multiple times and everybody at the mall wore a Batman or Joker Shirt

Any Batman Written by Morrison.

New 52 Batman. Thought Scott Snyder had the voice of the character down pretty well. BTAS is also another.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Since it was my first exposure to Batman and his world, the original seasons of B:TAS (before the design changes and cheaper animation) are the definitive Batman for me. And since they were heavily influenced by pre-Crisis Bronze Age comics (specifically O'Neil/Adams and Englehart/Rogers), I love that era too. Batman is dark, brooding and mysterious, but isn't a jerk to his friends, allies and loves ones and actually has a nuanced/varied personality, and was a hyper competent badass without being BatGod.

So basically that as the core, with bits of Morrison (hairy chested Love god of the Bronze Age going to the next level), Keaton/Burton (the Gothic atmosphere) and Adam West (the self aware camp) mixed in.

Came here to say pretty much what you have already said OP. Nailed it.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

B:TAS was peak Batman for me.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

All things considered, I'd have to say Batman the Animated Series for animation and The Dark Knight trilogy for live-action.

That being said I really don't think there's such a thing as a "definitive" interpretation of the character since he's been through so many different variations and all of them in my opinion are valid when they're done well.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Accidentally double posted
    Last edited by Spencermalley935; 08-13-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Probably TAS. Especially pre-TNBA.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't think I've... seen... my ideal Batman yet. There's always one annoying thing in every version. BTAS is the best tone, but then he dated Barbara. Arkham is a great game, but he's a jerk there. The current one in Rebirth is inconsistent depending on writers. Sometimes he's sensitive, sometimes he's a jerk. The Bronze Age dated Talia while both her and Dick were in college, that was weird. The Golden and Silver Age version are just a simple entertainment, so while it's enjoyable, it's not deep enough to warrant fun analysis that we do today.

My ideal version of Batman has a sense of humor, good social skills, but still scary to his enemies. He is the world greatest detective, not the greatest martial artist though still really good, not overly reliant on gadgets, not used by his writer for their sexual fantasy, and not used by writers who hate the family he built to fill the void left by his parents' death.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't think I've... seen... my ideal Batman yet. There's always one annoying thing in every version. BTAS is the best tone, but then he dated Barbara.
    He only dated Barbara in Beyond. And I wouldn’t describe that as a “set” future. Just one of the many that are possible.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Year One would be my first choice. It's my favorite Batman story and it has aged fairly well (fairly). It was also the first realistic superhero comic I ever read. And it also works as a stand alone story. You don't have to follow continuity to enjoy it. I know this might not be popular but my second favorite would probably be Earth One. I like the down to Earth approach to the character. If Batman really existed, it would probably look like that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

My ideal version of Batman has a sense of humor, good social skills, but still scary to his enemies. He is the world greatest detective, not the greatest martial artist though still really good, not overly reliant on gadgets, not used by his writer for their sexual fantasy, and not used by writers who hate the family he built to fill the void left by his parents' death.
    You just described pre-crisis Batman

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The Bronze Age BATMAN from 1971-1986.
    B:TAS and B:TB&TB.