Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They go through attempts at making an all-female hero team as much as they do teen hero groups .
    Don't forget Superman wannabes and Legacy cases.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 08-12-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Yes, she was definitely talking about Domino, especially reading the replies.

But, I don't think it's a bad idea for Marvel to do something in the vein of a Birds of Prey title. Marvel only puts out a street-level/noir-tinged team book every once in a while. It's a niche that could stand to be filled. And if DC can turn their iconic Golden Age sidekick into a superspy with a flirty female spy partner, there's not much shame in Marvel borrowing a pitch from DC.

They go through attempts at making an all-female hero team as much as they do teen hero groups .
    Well, none of the past attempts are that similar to BoP. Fearless Defenders, Adjectiveless X-Men 2012, and A-Force don't have the same kind of approach as BoP. Majorie Liu's Liberators pitch seemed a lot closer tonally.

At the very least, it's a little perplexing that Marvel hasn't put out some kind of spy team with all of the Marvel lady superspies, like that quoted tweet was saying. The gender ratio of the big espionage characters at Marvel is pretty skewed in favor of the women. Maybe they're concerned about being able to make the different characters stand out from each other in how they approach things, but most decent writers have been able to do that already.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 08-12-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Yeah, one of the comments suggests Spider-Woman, Black Widow, Mockingbird and Red Widow.

Someone answered with a suggestion of Spider-Girl, as Anya worked with Jessica and Natasha in Avengers Assemble's last few issues (the last page of that series was Anya dancing to the EMH theme tune which she had on her phone!).

Unstoppable Wasp has links to both Nat (both from Red Room, plus half the Champions team was with Nat in Secret Empire) and Bobbi (her mentor with GIRL), so she'd fit in such a team too (at one point - Champions 18-21, Avengers 675-690 - she was juggling Champions, Avengers, and GIRL, but the Avengers broke up soon after). She wouldn't be the only teen, as Red Widow is young too.

I'd actually consider Invisible Woman for a spy team too, she was with SHIELD just before Secret Wars.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Yeah, it really sounds like she was talking about Domino. I find it strange they haven't tried a relaunch for A-Force, though. It's probably the most popular concept they've created for an all-female team, to the point where it's the name that keeps popping up whenever people discuss the possibility of an all-female Marvel movie. And, as far as I know, the first ongoing book wasn't cancelled because of sales, so it's not like it was a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Marvel needs this, they have no ''answer'' to Birds of Prey.
    Does Marvel have to make an attempt to copy every DC concept and vice versa? If they do this, it should only because they have a good idea for the book, not because DC has an all-woman superhero team.

Sandy Hausler

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

We already had The Fearless Defenders and y'all didn't buy it.

So now it's All-New Heroes for Hire starring Jessica Drew, Domino and Mockingbird, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Yeah, it really sounds like she was talking about Domino. I find it strange they haven't tried a relaunch for A-Force, though. It's probably the most popular concept they've created for an all-female team, to the point where it's the name that keeps popping up whenever people discuss the possibility of an all-female Marvel movie. And, as far as I know, the first ongoing book wasn't cancelled because of sales, so it's not like it was a failure.
    Yeah, it was cancelled because of the events of Civil War II and IVX. Those two events close together each took out a team member. If the series had continued any longer it would've been minus the comatose She-Hulk, and after the next arc they would've lost Medusa as well, who went off-world in Royals. Nico Minoru wouldn't have lasted much longer either, due to the revival of the Runaways book. I've always thought they should've just changed the roster.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, it was cancelled because of the events of Civil War II and IVX. Those two events close together each took out a team member. If the series had continued any longer it would've been minus the comatose She-Hulk, and after the next arc they would've lost Medusa as well, who went off-world in Royals. Nico Minoru wouldn't have lasted much longer either, due to the revival of the Runaways book. I've always thought they should've just changed the roster.
    Marvel could have easily changed the roster to include any number of characters, Jessica Drew, Mockingbird, Spider-girl, Wasp...there was so much potential for this book that Marvel just squandered as it often does with it's female characters.

Both of the Wasps were already on Avengers teams at the time (Nadia on Waid's, Janet on Uncanny), but the others you mention were certainly candidates, since Jessica's book didn't last much longer, Mock's was cancelled with CWII like A-Force was, and Anya's been in limbo since the cancellation of Web Warriors at around that time (both she and Jess are just about to come out of it thanks to Spider-Geddon).

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I still want to see her write Mary Jane Watson (and I know she does too) .
    As a superhero?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Does Marvel have to make an attempt to copy every DC concept and vice versa? If they do this, it should only because they have a good idea for the book, not because DC has an all-woman superhero team.

Sandy Hausler
    I was being sarcastic, 'cause DC and Marvel always copy each other shamlessly, not because they have a good idea or anything. They just both must be exactly the same, no less, no more. lol This is how it is. Marvel tries to have an all-female cast of hero group ever since the success of Birds of Prey, and finally they hired Gail, who made that work for DC with Bird of Prey. DC is as determint of having what Marvel has as well. They shamelessly steal from each other and other places.

So i always believe in and support stealing from them btw. lol

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    As a superhero?
    RYV's version?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    As a superhero?
    Not preferably, but as long as she gets to write MJ I'd be happy .

It’s cool that Gail is writing for marvel and marvel have the best women characters. Can’t wait to see what she does with them.

I hope she can write Singularity

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post

Sandy Hausler
    This. 100% Agree!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.