Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I hope this leads to an actual announcement of the book.
    Yeah I would much rather talk about the actual book since that’s the actual issue here and ignore bleeding cool’s penchant for out of context quotes that are much more than they seem out of it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's a good point, thanks because I knew that and somehow still fell for it.

I can't really invest in the idea because of the source, because "Black Label" Lois needs a stronger hinting. All we have so far to me, outside of the article, is Bendis commonly giving his run credit.

Mighty Member

The source has a really good track record on scooping future titles and creative teams recently. I mean, these are the guys who said Rucka was going to be back on Wonder Woman.

Either way, I hope it is true. I'd love to see what Greg Rucka would do with a Lois Lane book, even if it was a prestige format 3-issue title as it seems the Black Label is.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Question

I'm not sure how long a book like this can last with a non-superheroine lead. I suppose this ongoing does have the added hooks of Jon and perhaps Superman, but still. In this day and age of strong female characters (the success of the Wonder Woman film, the popularity of characters like Spider Gwen, and even Harley Quinn), I feel purely civilian love interests might be grossly outdated. I'm not saying there isn't room for the Lois Lanes & Mary Janes of this world rather that I'm skeptical either could carry their own series.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-12-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

But Lois Lane isn't just a civilian. She may not be a superhero punching bad guys in the face, there is still something to the character, seeing how she's incredibly smart and is an investigative journalist whose role is more relevant today than throughout her 80year history.

Reducing her to nothing more than Superman's SO was a gross mismanagement of the character. She's carried a book before. All she needs now is creatives who believe in her individual character as all that she is today.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 08-12-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Granted, the journalism angle might hold audience interests for a while. However, I doubt it shall in the long-term. This isn't a drama universe rather one based upon fantasy and escapism. But, we'll see.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Well, if its a Black Label title there wouldn't even be the question of how long it'd last, as I don't think the imprint is designed for anything ongoing, at least, it hasn't seemed that way to date. Just oneshots and miniseries.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Yeah, the format seems to generally be three prestige format issues (from what has been announced so far), which I guess amounts to about the same as six regular issues.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Black Label is all about the GN sales. They release issues initially as floppies but the real goal is to get “evergreen” sales like Watchmen or TKJ, books that are always selling.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Fingers crossed, but really hoping this wouldn't be Black Label - even given that line's bizarrely willing to do Continuity after all with Three Jokers, there seems to be a built-in endpoint for each of these, whereas Lois could totally support her own ongoing as a full part of the Superman line.
    Buh-bye

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That's really the opposite of what he criticized for, though:

The Post-Crisis Superman was very much interested in Lois Lane and didn't consider himself an outsider.
    I don't feel that most at DC want Superman in that way or it would reflect in the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Fingers crossed, but really hoping this wouldn't be Black Label - even given that line's bizarrely willing to do Continuity after all with Three Jokers, there seems to be a built-in endpoint for each of these, whereas Lois could totally support her own ongoing as a full part of the Superman line.
    Sales-wise? I seriously doubt it. I'd be pretty impressed if she made it to 12 issues.

Even Gotham Central only survived four years, and that had the Bat branding behind it. Unfortunately I do agree that a purely investigative title starring Lois probably would not last even half that amount of time. Honestly the only way I think a Lois Lane title would succeed long-term would be if Jon was a co-star and it ended up focusing highly on superheroics. But that's not what Lois fans are looking for.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Eh, I don't have the resources to follow ongoing titles, but I love Lois, so something like a Black Label that I can buy three issues or the trade/gn is great. Hope the rumor is true and the story is great, Lois Lane deserves it. I know the Black Label plans for a more "adult" tone with these titles, and under the right writer that could make for a great story with Lois digging into dark territory trying to expose secrets and crimes into the light of day (and win a Pulitzer). I just hope it isn't brooding, because that's not Lois. Tough as nails, brave, and determined, that is Lois Lane! Looking forward to it.

I noticed recently the Ink and Zoom lines are going to adapt the Wonder Woman and Batman YA novels from the past year into graphic novels, hope they decide to do the same with the Lois Lane books.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm down.

I mean, conceptually I'd love a Lois solo. I think if you play it right she can rock a solo for a while (feel the same about Jimmy). I think my only actual hang-up is that it's going to be in Black Label. Even though at least one of the BL books is in continuity, the majority don't see to be, and I have no interest in the Lois Lane equivalent of Nightwing: New Order or White Knight (not BL books, but you get it), ya know? I'm kinda just gonna wait on story details to come out to see if it's something I'll really be down for, but I'll 100% keep an eye on it.

I dunno, man, I'd have much rathered this be part of the main line, and using current Lois. Jury's still out on how well Bendis' Lois will be once things are in full swing (as far as I go), but so far since Rebirth no writer has utilized the set-up Lois is in to its full potential yet, and that sucks given how much potential I've always thought it had. I wouldn't be so instant if this were like a Jimmy BL book given how nothing in the main line has him set up in any sort of interesting way. But who knows, this might be in continuity or at least mirror continuity given how close Bendis and Rucka are, and how while Bendis was sick Rucka stopped by to be a pal and talk Superman with him. Bendis has mentioned this a few times.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.