Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Default Rumor: new Lois Lane book by Greg Rucka

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Cool, doesn't relate to Bendis but I'm glad Lois is getting some spotlight.

Cool if she's getting a book. But more than anything I just rolled my eyes at the idea that Superman "strives to be human". No, he doesn't. At least he shouldn't. He's a very unique individual and that always should be hammered home as one of the main appeals of him, his complexity as a whole. You make him wanting to be human and you're missing a big part of the point. To me its mistaking his love for humanity and his adopted home world. To love them does not mean he wants to be them, at least not at the expense of his unique self. He should love his special heritage in all its nuance. What he strives to be is just the best person he can, and be a beacon of hope to a world he loves. Superman shouldn't be striving to be anything else than just the best him he can be, in all its complex glory. So I agree with Rucka in that most at DC don't really get Superman. But I think he himself gets a core concept of him wrong as well.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-11-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think this deserves its own thread. This looks interesting at the very least. I’m very hot and cold when it comes to Rucka on Supes, but Rucka is terrific with female characters, so I’m very interested in where this could go, assuming it’s true.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    So I agree with Rucka in that most at DC don't really get Superman. But I think he himself gets a core concept of him wrong as well.
    Most at DC only get the post-Crisis version of Superman.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-12-2018 at 02:33 AM.

Incredible Member

Cool if she's getting a book. But more than anything I just rolled my eyes at the idea that Superman "strives to be human". No, he doesn't. At least he shouldn't. He's a very unique individual and that always should be hammered home as one of the main appeals of him, his complexity as a whole. You make him wanting to be human and you're missing a big part of the point. To me its mistaking his love for humanity and his adopted home world. To love them does not mean he wants to be them, at least not at the expense of his unique self. He should love his special heritage in all its nuance. What he strives to be is just the best person he can, and be a beacon of hope to a world he loves. Superman shouldn't be striving to be anything else than just the best him he can be, in all its complex glory. So I agree with Rucka in that most at DC don't really get Superman. But I think he himself gets a core concept of him wrong as well.
    Thank you for posting this. The exact same thing stuck out to me in that interview, too.

BANNED

I was definitely expecting a loose continuity Lois Lane book, leaves much more room for experimentation that you can't normally get with post-crisis Lois (and I get Bendis is experimenting with her now, but you know she's like a rubber band and will snap back in place to preserve status quo).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

But I think he himself gets a core concept of him wrong as well.
    Yeah I mean, all respect to him but from what he says and what he wrote in Ruin, I think we see how far the "no, those other people don't get Superman" mentality goes.

If he writes Lois that's promising, continuity or not. But my biggest pet peeve is when people can't leave "this is how it should be done" at the door and maybe come back for it after we've all been blown away.

Astonishing Member

nvm .
    Last edited by The World; 08-12-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Off topic.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Very curious to see A) if this actually comes to pass and B) who will be drawing it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I hope it's true because Rucka is a respected name and being friends with Bendis could help the line. And I think some pretty cool artists will have an inclination to work with him.

Most at DC only get the post-Crisis version of Superman.
    That's really the opposite of what he criticized for, though:

Thus, if you believe in a Superman who sees no connection to humanity, who views himself as an eternal outsider and instead of striving to BE human, instead isolates himself further. then you end up with a Superman who has no interest in Lois Lane.
    The Post-Crisis Superman was very much interested in Lois Lane and didn't consider himself an outsider.

Astonishing Member

I hope this leads to an actual announcement of the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Nothing screams weak like a man that's ashamed of who and what he is. If he wants to be human so bad that he should just go into the gold kryptonite tank and be done with it. Wanting to be human is synonymous with I have no spine and fear not being part of the majority.
    Oh stop it. You know well and good that’s now what he meant. Rucka just wrote Superman recently as identifying as Clark Kent and Kal-El at the same time. To imply that Rucka is implying that Clark is some “weak” man who hates himself is completely disingenuous to what he has actually said.

First off, the comment from Rucka was taken completely out of context and didn’t belong at all in that article about Lois. Rucka has given multiple interviews actually about Lois and how great she is and why Bleeding Cool didn’t use one of those comments about her and instead used this totally out of context quote that is only tangentially about her speaks to their poor journalism. They thrive on creating controversy where there is none and people fall for it over and over again. The entire article is a freaking mess.

Rucka was not saying that Clark was in denial of his Kryptonian heritage. He does not think that. He was responding specifically in context to the very specific idea that Superman is this lonely alienated god figure that feels no connection to humanity and can’t reoate to humans. Reasonable people can disagree if that actually was what came to pass during the new 52 but the rhetoric at the time that it dropped from Didio and Lee was extremely focused on Superman as this angry loner who couldn’t relate the humans. The books were openly marketed from that angle (and I’m not saying that’s how they all turned out —but that was the marketing at the time) and it was really crappy. That’s what Rucka was responding to specifically when he said that. He, rightly, disagreed with this stupidity that was coming from Didio, Lee etc about Superman as this angry loner who really had no close relationships with humans.

Blessing Cool lives for controversy which is why instead of using a great quote about Lois (of which there is many to choose from with Rucka) they instead used this and didn’t even put it in the proper context. And, as per usual, as opposed to thinking about the context and realizing there is more to this than meets the eye, everyone is out to “explain” Superman to Rucka now. Greg Rucka knows what he’s doing and he doesn’t need Superman’s humanity explained to him. And, continuing to pick it apart just detracts from the ACTUAL news at hand which is Lois.

I don’t trust the source at all. But, obviously, if this is true it’s great news. I expect, because it’s Greg, female readers will drive the sales and that’s an excellent thing that we need more of. Rucka writes for women first and foremost which is why he has the clout and respect he does and, if this is true, I expect it will be a big success.

BANNED

Sorry for the double post! Mobile acting up.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 08-12-2018 at 07:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

nvm .
    Last edited by The World; 08-12-2018 at 09:06 AM. Reason: This is off topic.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory