Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Default Batman: Last Knight on Earth

We were supposed to get Snyder/Sean Murphy Batman Last Knight, but that has changed to become Batman: Last Knight on Earth by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, part of DC's new DC Black Label, the label which will launch in August with Miller's Superman: Year One (no word as to when this Snyder arc will start).

Anyway, it appears this may be the last Snyder/Capullo Batman project for a good bit of time. Maybe the last Batman (outside of JL) Snyder stuff for a good bit.

Batman: Last Knight on Earth by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo:

“Batman wakes up in a desert. He doesn’t know what year it is or how The Joker’s head is alive in a jar beside him, but it’s the beginning of a quest unlike anything the Dark Knight has undertaken before. In this strange future, villains are triumphant and society has liberated itself from the burden of ethical codes. Fighting to survive while in search of answers, Bruce Wayne uncovers the truth about his role in this new world—and begins the last Batman story ever told.”
    https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-unveil...label-imprint/

Man, I wanted Snyder/Sean Murphy.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-08-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

No release date.

And while I see it as Capullo's last Batman book I fully expect Snyder to come up with the next Bat epic in 2 years. This guy cant help himself.

No release date that I've spotted, but maybe before end of 2018? If Miller's starts in Aug, then maybe this starts shortly after?

"each Black Label title will be released in a format and schedule dictated by its creators" Hollywood reporter said DC said.

Snyder on Twitter did explain the change up:
    This book is a project I've been planning for several years, something that'd need a new different format. [Sean Murphy] and I had talked about doing it together, but the truth is, we both felt any last Batman story should be done w brother [Greg Capullo].

The amazing world Sean has created with WHITE KNIGHT so HIS, it felt right to keep his Batman singular. Sean is family to me, and I'm thrilled for him over the tremendous, well deserved success of BWK. Wait til you see what he has coming...It's amazing. As for me and Greg, we've never had a chance to work outside the monthly grind, not in 7+ yrs together, and the Black Label format finally gives us the room to experiment creatively both with story and art to make something very different than anything we've done before.

Something that encompasses Batman from early days to his end and brings in the DCU as it goes. Very excited. And thanks as always.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-08-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Wonder just how long this will take if it's not a monthly book.

BANNED

It was intended as a 6 issue arc right?

Metal ends this month, 6 months complete by September. I'll add October for lols

November release date? As a 3 issue mini ?

My guess is maybe Nov/Dec 2018 into 2019...6 issues still (I'd bet, assume).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    No release date that I've spotted, but maybe before end of 2018? If Miller's starts in Aug, then maybe this starts shortly after?

"each Black Label title will be released in a format and schedule dictated by its creators" Hollywood reporter said DC said.

Snyder on Twitter did explain the change up:
    I thought Snyder's explanation was nice, but for me, I read it more as "Murphy doesn't really want to work with writers anymore, just wants to write and draw his own stuff, so Snyder used the success of White Knight and its proposed sequel as a reason to renegotiate his plans with Murphy and Capullo."

I'm personally a bit disappointed, as I liked Murphy's work on Detective Comics #27 in the proof of concept story. And I haven't enjoyed Capullo's work on Metal at all. But hopefully this story will give him more time to really work on the appeal and linework.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm personally a bit disappointed, as I liked Murphy's work on Detective Comics #27 in the proof of concept story.
    Yea, I like Snyder/Capullo, but was enjoying Snyder working with other artists. And Murphy killed it with Tec #27. Definitely disappointed.

I'm sorry, but I don't care for Murphy's "I'm done with writers" thing. That's fine, but I will think he's a bit arrogant, too into himself. He could do both (be his own writer and work with some still), but apparently wants to try Tony Daniel and Finch and Hitch's path, and he may succeed if he sticks with out-of-canon and creator-owned stuff.

I don't know if Snyder's explanation is true or not (or a half truth). I suppose the somewhat surprising success of Metal could have pushed Capullo to change his mind on his immediate future and push Snyder to gently let down Murphy, who was already wanting to go solo, so maybe that's what happened. Or maybe Snyder initiated the change like he suggests.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-08-2018 at 12:04 PM.

As much as I like Murphy, and I'm always going to support Snyder with anything featuring the Bat. I AM VERY HYPED FOR THIS STORY NOW. I REALLY WANTED A SNYDER AND CAPULLO ARC IN ALL STAR BATMAN!!!

Snyder and Murphy were excellent on The Wake together, so it's a bit disappointing that Murphy won't be doing this one.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Yea, I like Snyder/Capullo, but was enjoying Snyder working with other artists. And Murphy killed it with Tec #27. Definitely disappointed.

I'm sorry, but I don't care for Murphy's "I'm done with writers" thing. That's fine, but I will think he's a bit arrogant, too into himself. He could do both (be his own writer and work with some still), but apparently wants to try Tony Daniel and Finch and Hitch's path, and he may succeed if he sticks with out-of-canon and creator-owned stuff.

I don't know if Snyder's explanation is true or not (or a half truth). I suppose the somewhat surprising success of Metal could have pushed Capullo to change his mind on his immediate future and push Snyder to gently let down Murphy, who was already wanting to go solo, so maybe that's what happened. Or maybe Snyder initiated the change like he suggests.
    To be fair, writing and drawing a batman book with free continuity is a fanboy's dream, and based on sales, he is making huge $$$ off of it. So I can understand him getting a bit full of himself lol

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I agree that Murphy's attitude annoys me. To be fair to him, though, his stuff is a lot better than most of the other artists who give writing a try. Definitely better than Finch, Daniel, Hitch, and Bermejo.

I feel like the change was more instigated by Murphy than Snyder. Murphy would always say "I have this project with Snyder", but he never showed any enthusiasm for it, and he always said "after that I'm done with writers."
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Looking at the new story description, this is starting to sound like Old Man Batman .

BANNED

I'm glad Murphy passed on, I cant bear King's Batman so with this development I can get White Knight v2 far earlier than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looking at the new story description, this is starting to sound like Old Man Batman .
    Snyder previously compared the story to Mad Max, but at today’s panel he said it had a Lone Wolf and Cub vibe.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...yder-dc-metal/
    “Batman suddenly wakes up and he’s… young, but he wakes up in this post apocalyptic wasteland, crawling out of the sand in this Gotham City that’s been ruined. He’s got the Joker’s head chained to his belt, but it’s alive and like ‘You gotta move, kid!’ It’s got old Wonder Woman, Baby Superman–it’s like my Lone Wolf and Cub Batman story.”
    https://nerdist.com/batman-last-knig...r-sean-murphy/

Lone Wolf and Cub: The shogun’s executioner's wife is murdered and he leaves after being falsely accused and takes to wandering the countryside as an assassin—along with his infant son—helping those he encounters while seeking vengeance for his murdered wife.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-09-2018 at 08:40 AM.