Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post
    Becuz Cable has BLOOOOOD AND GUUUUUUNNNNZZZZZZZ.
    Look at the size of his HUGE biceps, he is sure to resurrect all the time. Because the more muscles a character haz, the least GUNZ can cause damage or be shot accurately on that character.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Look at the size of his HUGE biceps, he is sure to resurrect all the time. Because the more muscles a character haz, the least GUNZ can cause damage or be shot accurately on that character.
    His Biceps Have Biceps on them so he can carry bigger GUNZ.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Howie View Post
    Perfect. I hate Cable. He's Kyle Reese meets the Terminator meets the Punisher. I hated the guy in the early '90s and I hate him now. Rachel is a lot of wasted potential and Cable was essentially a Terminator version of her. He's just silly to me now. He's like an angry 13 year old's idea of a badass. He's nothing without Deadpool to make his life ridiculous.
    That's him NOW maybe but Cable was amazing while he was running Providence. It's not Deadpool he's missing it's having a life mission that actually does him justice (but Deadpool wouldn't hurt either).

That said it's too bad Rachel hasn't had an actual story about her in ages. I get the feeling writers just don't know what to do with her next, since she hasn't had meaningful development in such a long time they have nothing to play off of.

Writers write in packs: one comes along with some idea and the next one doesn't consider the entire history of the character, but usually just the previous one or two stories. Rachel's last few stories was banging an alien in space and having her maternal grandmother disown her for getting her entire bloodline killed. Nothing further to say about either of those.

You really wanna know the reason why Cable and Bishop appear more than Rachel? It's all because of one little (or big) difference. Cable and Bishop have BFGs! And when it comes to bad assery you're nothing if you don't have BIG FUCKING GUNS! (and shoulder pads and pouches)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Howie View Post
    His Biceps Have Biceps on them so he can carry bigger GUNZ.
    I'm pumping iron right now so has to protect myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Those two are far more convoluted than Rachel for sure so what's with the hesitation to utilize Rachel or actually have her lead a team? Heck those two have appeared in TV Shows and Bishop is even getting a Movie that should have been Rachel's Movie!
    Relax, Bishop won't be showcasing more than 10 mn max in the entire DoFP movie.
    Anyway, she's welcome to take the future vacant slot of Rogue in UA, they need a telepath there.

So seriously, what's the deal? Why does Rachel always get the short end of the stick or weak excuses made to not utilize her great character with many years of rich history and character friendships?
    There's no real story with the proper writer for her at the moment.
    You know: same old, same old...

Also, whatever happened to the plot point that Rachel was literally the Chosen Child of the Phoenix and was created by Jean being made preggy by the Phoenix and Scott raising her as his own anyway?
    Hope happened.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    She really doesn't offer much beyond what Jean Grey already does. At least with Cable, he has a penis and the techno-organic virus which makes him feel a lot different than Jean Grey. As for Bishop, I don't even see why he would be mentioned. He's a completely different type of character.
    Hugh.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

After what happened to Rogue I shudder to think what would happen to Rachel in the UA book.

I don't see why Rachel cannot exist with Hope around. They're different characters for sure with different powers... I mean Hope's the 616 Phoenix Child, I guess, but Rachel is the true Phoenix Child who can Astral Travel through Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
    You really wanna know the reason why Cable and Bishop appear more than Rachel? It's all because of one little (or big) difference. Cable and Bishop have BFGs! And when it comes to bad assery you're nothing if you don't have BIG FUCKING GUNS! (and shoulder pads and pouches)
    Rachel has used giant tech weapons before, I believe... But she doesn't need them because she knows Nightcrawler-Fu and Kitty-Fu.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 05-03-2014 at 10:03 AM.

BANNED

Cable and Bishop are easier to use. They fit the militant leader role. Anytime a team needs to be tactical and cohesive but also have a military soldier vibe they fit the bill. Maybe not Bishop as much any longer now that they have completely jacked up his character, but he used to fit that bill (even in his Arnold Drummond conductor outfit). Where did his bionic arm go?
    Rachel is harder to shoehorn into a role.

BANNED

Rachel is an uninteresting character that doesn't add anything to the X-perience.

And the only reason why Bishop is still relevant is because he became a villain... Otherwise he would have been forgotten a long time ago.

Powerful protagonists are not difficult to write, they are boring, that's why Batman is more popular than Superman. People will always find more interesting to read about protagonists that struggle, that are hurt, and that are in real danger... Than those who destroy cities or mountains when they fight.

Rachel defeated Galactus once, so yeah, she is powerful... and boring.
    Last edited by Tonamelt; 05-04-2014 at 02:12 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tonamelt View Post
    Rachel is an uninteresting character that doesn't add anything to the X-perience.

And the only reason why Bishop is still relevant is because he became a villain... Otherwise he would have been forgotten a long time ago.

Powerful protagonists are not difficult to write, they are boring, that's why Batman is more popular than Superman. People will always find more interesting to read about protagonists that struggle, that are hurt, and that are in real danger... Than those who destroy cities or mountains when they fight.

Rachel defeated Galactus once, so yeah, she is powerful... and boring.
    Read that issue again. Rachel did not defeat Galactus...
    Last edited by ZNOP; 05-04-2014 at 02:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Read that issue again. Rachel did not defeat Galactus...
    She did...

2749284-150px_galactus.jpg

I'm not saying she killed him or humilliated him, but she stopped him from eating a planet, so yeah, that counts as a victory for Rachel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonamelt View Post
    Actually it's the reverse - the reason he hasn't been used much lately is because of a couple of writers and editors trashing his character. Before that Claremont and others were making good use of him and telling some interesting stories.

Spectacular Member

It's because the macho man with a gun is one of the easiest archetypes to write for. Far easier to write than Rachel's powerset. In all honesty I don't think I've seen a particularly interesting or creative use of TP and TK in battle in a long time that wasn't an overpowering deus ex machina, reading the mind of someone between battle, or used as a bludgeoning weapon. Hell Aaron had Quire for a long time and what did he do to him? He gave him a TP gun. A GUN. He also gave Rachel an axe. No one has bothered delving into the powers in anything more than a boring, shallow level because it's not easy.

No wait, the last interesting uses I can think of in years were that one WATXM mini where Quire stuck Armor and Wolverine in that psychic contruct world and when they hinted Hellion may have TK control at a molecular level when he killed Karima.
    Last edited by idiyona; 05-04-2014 at 03:07 AM.

After what happened to Rogue I shudder to think what would happen to Rachel in the UA book.
    If it's any indication, the last annual proves she'd be part of a funny lot of heroes.
    That, and be part of an actual interesting story, rather than being semi-relevant in the X-Men current volume.

I don't see why Rachel cannot exist with Hope around. They're different characters for sure with different powers... I mean Hope's the 616 Phoenix Child, I guess, but Rachel is the true Phoenix Child who can Astral Travel through Time!
    She could use some time off the JGS, given the limited role she's stranded in there.
    Anyway, neither her and Hope can outcompete Jean Grey, she'll always be the real deal - the fact that Jeen was at the center of the last two X-events should be pretty telling in that regard.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Writers don't shy away from using her because of her convoluted history, but because they have no interest in writing her. Cable and Bishop are also generally more popular, or at the very least known, than her, which probably means a greater editorial push for them.
    This and the fact that Rachel's existence much like Madelyne was to replace/keep apart of Jean sure these characters developed into their own beings but they never stepped outside the shadow that Jean projected and Rachel's had it worse being that she's taking up several of Jean's codenames, costumes, and has the same powers as her not to mention being the daughter of Cyclops/ Wolverine(depending on whom you ask).