Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

Default 2018 Spider-Man Jumping On Point

Hi Guys,

I haven't read Spider-Man since the Ultimate series and before that in the mid 90's.

I am tempted to start picking up issues again and wondered if the new Amazing series would be a good starting point. I've kept up to date with a lot of Spidey's developments such as Superior Spider-Man and One more day.
    L'Enfer !

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    Hi Guys,

I haven't read Spider-Man since the Ultimate series and before that in the mid 90's.

I am tempted to start picking up issues again and wondered if the new Amazing series would be a good starting point. I've kept up to date with a lot of Spidey's developments such as Superior Spider-Man and One more day.
    The new ASM series (issue #4 just came out last week) has been terrific IMO and seems to be a hit with the majority of the fans on these boards and beyond from what we can tell. I would recommend seeking out issue #1 to see if it works for you thought i expect it will; the pacing is brisk, it's fun with kinetic art by Ottley and there is a major status quo change that you might have already heard about but I won't reveal here. Highly recommend.

The new run that just kicked off a few months ago, is probably a good point to start reading. With all the second and third printings, you should be able to get all four issues (and at least a first issue to get a sense of whether you like the creative team.)

The other jump-on points for good runs from the era you missed were Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #30, which kicked off J. Michael Straczynski/ John Romita Jr's run and Amazing Spider-Man #546, which kicked off an era of the book that lasted for about a decade, starting with the Brand New Day run. Both are available in reprints or through Marvel's online streaming service Marvel Digital Unlimited.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I also took a long break from Spider-Man and have started back with the current Amazing Spider-Man run. It has been great so far, and I haven't had any problems jumping back in.

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

So read the first two issues last night. I have to say I'm enjoying it. The tone is very playful and slightly cheesy which I can get on board with in a Spider-Man comic.

Stripping Peter's success makes sense and brings him back to the essence of the original character.
    L'Enfer !

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    So read the first two issues last night. I have to say I'm enjoying it. The tone is very playful and slightly cheesy which I can get on board with in a Spider-Man comic.

Stripping Peter's success makes sense and brings him back to the essence of the original character.
    Yeah, this latest "soft reboot" seems to check most of the boxes for what makes a good Spidey comic without succumbing to a feeling of redundancy. I really do appreciate the tough spot creators are in today trying to create new story beats/somewhat fresh takes on characters that have been around for 56 years and thousand of stories; it's a tough path to walk when you want to stay true to what makes the character(s) work while attempting to come up with a new take/angle on it all. So far, Spencer/Ottley seem to be hitting the mark IMO.