Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    how far apart were 1 and 2 released? would the ending of 1 have enough time to filter towards the sales of 2...effectively acting as “marketing”?
    Two weeks. Final orders for number two were already placed before issue one came out.

Marvel not publicizing the MJ surprise signals to me that it is not going to stick. That and they didn't think it would boost sales.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    how far apart were 1 and 2 released? would the ending of 1 have enough time to filter towards the sales of 2...effectively acting as “marketing”?
    Two weeks. Final orders for number two were already placed before issue one came out.

Marvel not publicizing the MJ surprise signals to me that it is not going to stick. That and they didn't think it would boost sales.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Those are not good numbers at all for Scarlet Spider and RYV. Yikes. I can definitely see where a post Spider-geddon relaunch/cancellation spree would be considered for everything not ASM or Venom. Strong launch for ASM - looks like #2 was ordered presuming most of Slott's readers would stick around for a bit. It'll probably find its level around issues 5-7, though, as word of mouth and personal taste filter into pull lists.
    Spider-Man spinoffs have a very 50/50 track record.

It's good for Spider-Gwen that she ended on 17K though rather then something even lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Considering the last few times they heavily publicized a status quo change with MJ turned out to be busts, I'm more liable to think the lack of promotion is a good thing .

Although in a world where the Big Two spoil and publicize twists out the wazoo, it is kind of interesting that they didn't market the ending of ASM #1 (the fifth) more considering how big a deal it should be.

Heck, Bleeding Cool didn't even leak it and that's their thing .

BANNED

Wrong on both counts.

Marvel wanted this to be a genuine surprise, rather than hyping it in advance and taking the wind out of #1's biggest twist, and Peter and MJ will be a couple for the foreseeable future. And I'm very sure they knew that putting Peter and MJ back together would result in sales.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Wrong on both counts.

Marvel wanted this to be a genuine surprise, rather than hyping it in advance and taking the wind out of #1's biggest twist, and Peter and MJ will be a couple for the foreseeable future. And I'm very sure they knew that putting Peter and MJ back together would result in sales.
    I agree
    Some people are so pessimistic and negative to the point that it gets very irritating.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I agree
    Some people are so pessimistic and negative to the point that it gets very irritating.
    To be fair, I don't blame them. It's been over a decade since Peter and MJ were really together, with only ultra-niche alternate universes still flying the flag for the marriage, and it's still early days for their renewed relationship.

Wrong on both counts.

Totally agree. I hope this is a harbinger of things to come for the way Marvel does things as it made for a much more rewarding read and I am tired of the way Marvel has endlessly hyped every 2 or 3 issues (and Slott would do the same through social media) for a fairly minor development. Maybe this part of the CB Cebulski effect; I don't know but I like it!
    It reminds of the olden days when the end of Thunderbolts #1 was a genuine surprise or, going back even further, when Stern reintroduced MJ early on in his run. Lastly, I think Marvel is smart enough to figure out that MJ's return will result in increased sales in more than just one issue so there was no need to overly hype/spoil the reveal is #1/#802.

Spectacular Member

regarding retailers ordering less I know that Forbidden Planet in London (arguably Londons biggest comic book store) did not order enough to meet demand as they had sold out of it within 24 hours when I popped in to pick up a copy, I didn't see any #2's when I picked up issue 3 either so likely they never re-ordered (lots of #1s though)

Wrong on both counts.

Not to mention, I think Marvel has been very good with keeping Spider-Man twists and reveals a surprise. ASM 700/Superior, Ben Reilly in Clone Conspiracy, and 800 are probably the biggest examples that as far as I can remember were kept pretty tight. Also Nick Spencer has shown he's been able to keep things a surprise as well.

Mighty Member

Wrong on both counts.

There's no immediate sales benefit to Marvel not publicizing. Orders were already placed by the time news broke. It might have helped sell-through, but that doesn't help Marvel in the short term. Reorders and second printings rarely total more than a very small percentage of original sales, so I can't see them counting on those sales amounting to very much.

But as far as creating sales, I believe that if they thought spoiling it would lead to more sales, they would have spoiled it. You could argue that there was some goodwill gained, that people will like that it wasn't spoiled/and or that Pete/MJ is back and they will start to read Amazing because of those facts, but I don't have reason to believe Marvel operates with the intent of creating potential goodwill ahead of concrete sales. I haven't seen much evidence that Marvel will put potential future sales ahead of what they see as bankable immediate sales.

We'll have to wait and see if it sticks, at this point both of us are just guessing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Spider-Man spinoffs have a very 50/50 track record.

It's good for Spider-Gwen that she ended on 17K though rather then something even lower.

Considering the last few times they heavily publicized a status quo change with MJ turned out to be busts, I'm more liable to think the lack of promotion is a good thing .

Although in a world where the Big Two spoil and publicize twists out the wazoo, it is kind of interesting that they didn't market the ending of ASM #1 (the fifth) more considering how big a deal it should be.

I agree, they learned from the past and decided to play it cool this time around. They were kind of in a no win, if they said "IT'S FOREVER" people wouldn't have believed them and been upset when/if it ends, and of course they're not going to admit if it's just temporary.

As far as spoilers, I think it's one of the signs that it's just not that big a deal, to both Marvel and the casual, non-message- board visiting public that makes up the overwhelming majority of Amazing's sales. There's a lot of things that are huge deals here and non-issues/small issues everywhere else (there's a thread about Hal Jordan's grey temples going hot right now on the DC board). I think MJ and the marriage/lack of marriage topic has the biggest discrepancy of all topics, though.

BANNED

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...lash-and-more/

AiPT!: A central focus of your run has been the romantic reunion of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson. As a fan, what does their relationship mean to you?

Nick Spencer: Well, obviously, they’re like one of the all-time great comic book couples, and I think that’s in large part because they’ve stood the test of time. We’ve gotten to see their relationship build in a very different way than what you usually see in comics. Usually when a love interest is introduced, it’s very upfront, very direct. You can tell immediately these two are supposed to be together. What I love about the Peter and Mary Jane story is what a roller coaster it is. How it starts with the classic Aunt May bits, where she wants him to meet Anna Watson’s niece and then it builds to a friendship and really the relationship kind of forms out of tragedy and you learn more about Mary Jane and her life as it goes on. So it really is, I think, the most fully formed comic book romance that exists. So getting to write it is a thrill.
    "Not that big a deal to Marvel"...pfft.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-15-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

BC didn't spoil the Rogue/Gambit twist before hand, right? Marvel seems to be better at stopping leaks than DC.

Having said that, I'm glad that they didn't promote it. Even with something like King's Bat/Cat "Wedding", I would've been cool with it if DC hadn't built such a big promotional blitz around the issue. Out of story marketing gimmicks really affect subjectivity towards the actual story, no?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...lash-and-more/

"Not that big a deal to Marvel"...pfft.
    Promo-speak, to me. It's the current story, so of course he's talking it up. Not that that's bad, it's totally understandable, but it's expected and standard. You know how it is, everything is the biggest thing ever, since the last biggest thing ever, until the next biggest thing ever.

I would put more stock into these quotes if they came out before the book came out. If they had their hype machine rolling pre release, that would say more to me about their feelings towards the sales potential a reunion brings. But once the book is out, anything said falls under standard promo imo. If he had focused on, say, Peter's relationship with JJJ, or the return of Ezekiel or whatever, he'd be talking those things up in a similar way. I also think that Spencer can be a big fan of their relationship (he clearly is), and at the same time Marvel can remain unconvinced about the sales to be gained from that relationship. Marvel is ok with his current story though, so I guess you could count that towards the argument that Marvel DOES believe MJ/the relationship can equal sales. Or at least enough to put feelers out and see how it goes.

Keep in mind I'm not, and haven't been, making any kind of comment, positive or negative, on Peter/MJ, the marriage/lack of marriage, Spencer's feelings towards those things, etc. I've just been speculating about whether Marvel thinks the return of MJ and their relationship translates to sales, and giving reasons why I believe they feel they do not. Just throwing that in there because sometimes people (not you in particular) immediately paint someone as a marriage hater or apologist, and this line of thought regarding sales has nothing to do with my personal feelings towards that subject.

BANNED

Keep in mind I'm not, and haven't been, making any kind of comment, positive or negative, on Peter/MJ, the marriage/lack of marriage, Spencer's feelings towards those things, etc. I've just been speculating about whether Marvel thinks the return of MJ and their relationship translates to sales, and giving reasons why I believe they feel they do not. Just throwing that in there because sometimes people (not you in particular) immediately paint someone as a marriage hater or apologist, and this line of thought regarding sales has nothing to do with my personal feelings towards that subject.
    That's fine, I see you more as a healthy skeptic, and am simply disagreeing on your stance Marvel don't see the reunion as a big deal. When it came to a second printing, they featured the reunion on the cover, and are actually making a habit of putting their big surprises on the covers of other second printings (like with Ben proposing to Alicia)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-15-2018 at 09:11 AM.