Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    BC didn't spoil the Rogue/Gambit twist before hand, right? Marvel seems to be better at stopping leaks than DC.
    I know that leaked out, but I'm not sure if Bleeding Cool leaked it.

Granted, Marvel's also done as good a job of just leaking the endings to their own stories, like Secret Empire .
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Promo-speak, to me. It's the current story, so of course he's talking it up. Not that that's bad, it's totally understandable, but it's expected and standard. You know how it is, everything is the biggest thing ever, since the last biggest thing ever, until the next biggest thing ever.
    Honestly, it's just nice to see a writer talking positively and accurately about Peter and MJ's relationship after how it's been handled and treated over the last decade or so.
    I would put more stock into these quotes if they came out before the book came out. If they had their hype machine rolling pre release, that would say more to me about their feelings towards the sales potential a reunion brings. But once the book is out, anything said falls under standard promo imo. If he had focused on, say, Peter's relationship with JJJ, or the return of Ezekiel or whatever, he'd be talking those things up in a similar way. I also think that Spencer can be a big fan of their relationship (he clearly is), and at the same time Marvel can remain unconvinced about the sales to be gained from that relationship. Marvel is ok with his current story though, so I guess you could count that towards the argument that Marvel DOES believe MJ/the relationship can equal sales. Or at least enough to put feelers out and see how it goes.
    Considering they were promoting this book with the old "new love interests" descriptor, I think they were deliberately trying to hide the surprise and focus of Spencer's run, otherwise they would have probably promoted it.

I mean, heck, Spencer talked more about Felicia in initial press and interviews then he did about Mary Jane.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That's fine, I see you more as a healthy skeptic, and am simply disagreeing on your stance Marvel don't see the reunion as a big deal. When it came to a second printing, they featured the reunion on the cover, and are actually making a habit of putting their big surprises on the covers of other second printings (like with Ben proposing to Alicia)
    Thanks. I can see your argument and understand why you feel the way you do. I'm not saying I'm absolutely right, just speculating. It seems like you are doing the same, which is really nice. This is a touchy subject around here and it's nice to have a conversation with some give and take as opposed to an argument where we're both in our opposite corners, head down and swinging away blindly.

The second printing "spoiler" covers are a great idea. They give the best of both worlds, the fans get to be surprised and then we have a way to commemorate an important event afterwards. Very smart move on Marvel's part imo.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Granted, Marvel's also done as good a job of just leaking the endings to their own stories, like Secret Empire .

Honestly, it's just nice to see a writer talking positively and accurately about Peter and MJ's relationship after how it's been handled and treated over the last decade or so.

Considering they were promoting this book with the old "new love interests" descriptor, I think they were deliberately trying to hide the surprise and focus of Spencer's run, otherwise they would have probably promoted it.

I mean, heck, Spencer talked more about Felicia in initial press and interviews then he did about Mary Jane.
    I can understand that feeling regarding Spencer's quotes. I'm happy for everyone who has missed MJ and while I don't think it will last, I hope it ends in a way that makes most people happy.

They were totally doing a misdirection with the love interest angle. And since we've heard "new love interest" a few times recently, it didn't cause much reaction. Very smart idea and tactic of under promising and playing with our expectations in a positive way.

Can you imagine if it was the opposite, and the promo was talking up MJ, only to have it be Felicia that Peter gets with? The salt here would have been through the roof. I think that shows that fans aren't usually upset at and are willing to accept misleading promo, as long as they like what they get in place of what was teased. Kind of how Batman and X Men Gold both did the exact same thing, but most fans liked the Rogue/Gambit replacement, so DC and Tom King get killed while Marvel gets praised, even though both advertised something that didn't happen.

BANNED

I'm happy for everyone who has missed MJ and while I don't think it will last, I hope it ends in a way that makes most people happy.
    I doubt there will ever exist a "right" way to split Peter and MJ up. It's just not in their character to abandon the other after all they've went through, a big reason people have had no issue with their swift reconciliation despite ten years of uncharacteristically stiff tension.

Besides, as Spencer says (regardless of whether it's "promo speak" or not) the relationship is a unique one that has stood the test of time, no matter how much shade has been thrown at it, and if it's not represented in the main books, it's represented in other universes and mediums. Even if Spencer breaks them up for dramatic effect down the line, it still won't be the end of Peter and MJ. If another writer wants to use them as a couple, they have permission from higher-up. At some point, they will be an item again..and again, and again...and in other ongoing mediums, they will remain together during all of those ups and downs the couple face in the mainline run

So yeah, if the last decade has proven anything, it is something that's built to last.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-18-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I doubt there will ever exist a "right" way to split Peter and MJ up. It's just not in their character to abandon the other after all they've went through, a big reason people have had no issue with their swift reconciliation despite ten years of uncharacteristically stiff tension.

Besides, as Spencer says (regardless of whether it's "promo speak" or not) the relationship is a unique one that has stood the test of time, no matter how much shade has been thrown at it, and if it's not represented in the main books, it's represented in other universes and mediums. Even if Spencer breaks them up for dramatic effect down the line, it still won't be the end of Peter and MJ. If another writer wants to use them as a couple, they have permission from higher-up. At some point, they will be an item again..and again, and again...and in other ongoing mediums, they will remain together during all of those ups and downs the couple face in the mainline run

So yeah, if the last decade has proven anything, it is something that's built to last.
    I agree, MJ and/or the possibility of MJ is probably an ingrained part of the story at this point, comics wise. If they had just taken her away completely, we would have a whole generation of comic book readers who have only read about her in back issues. A near decade is a very long time when it comes to monthly comics. But they kept her around, basically restarting the clock on her possible permanent exit. Now we're basically back to square one, where if they want to take her out completely they have to put in at least a decade of zero mentions before it even begins to feel permanent.

The movies are different imo. Just a different animal altogether. I think if they just didn't have her in one two consecutive volumes of movies, that would be enough to remove her entirely from the movie fan's radar. I haven't really thought about cartoons, video games or the comic strip.

I agree, MJ and/or the possibility of MJ is probably an ingrained part of the story at this point, comics wise. If they had just taken her away completely, we would have a whole generation of comic book readers who have only read about her in back issues. A near decade is a very long time when it comes to monthly comics. But they kept her around, basically restarting the clock on her possible permanent exit. Now we're basically back to square one, where if they want to take her out completely they have to put in at least a decade of zero mentions before it even begins to feel permanent.

The movies are different imo. Just a different animal altogether. I think if they just didn't have her in one two consecutive volumes of movies, that would be enough to remove her entirely from the movie fan's radar. I haven't really thought about cartoons, video games or the comic strip.
    The upcoming PS4 game looks like it's a very big deal in the world of Spider-Man.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The upcoming PS4 game looks like it's a very big deal in the world of Spider-Man.
    I haven't really followed it... You mean MJ is in it as a love interest?

There are segments of the game where you get to play as MJ.

There are segments of the game where you get to play as MJ.
    And she's actually important to the plot .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We were very... measured.

Here's what we ran and when.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...arried-either/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...dding-spoiler/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...dding-spoiler/

BANNED

MJ and Peter have broken up and are pursuing independent careers when the game starts, but they may reunite at the end, we don't know

Mighty Member

Interesting.. thanks for the info, everyone. I don't have a Playstation and it's an exclusive so I haven't given it much attention. If it were to come out on X Box I would definitely get it.

Interesting.. thanks for the info, everyone. I don't have a Playstation and it's an exclusive so I haven't given it much attention. If it were to come out on X Box I would definitely get it.
    It's never going to come to the Xbox or anything not Playstation. Marvel made a deal with Sony for Spider-Man's game rights. Sony in turn got Insomniac to make the game. Insomniac had a lot of their own people make the game, as well as enlisting Slott (who did a little bit of work on the game) and Gage (who did a lot of the "heavy lifting").

It seems like this game is going to be one of the most significant Spider-Man products in years. (Obviously the movies are all in a league of their own.)

Mighty Member

It's never going to come to the Xbox or anything not Playstation. Marvel made a deal with Sony for Spider-Man's game rights. Sony in turn got Insomniac to make the game. Insomniac had a lot of their own people make the game, as well as enlisting Slott (who did a little bit of work on the game) and Gage (who did a lot of the "heavy lifting").

It seems like this game is going to be one of the most significant Spider-Man products in years. (Obviously the movies are all in a league of their own.)
    I see... Thanks! They are definitely doing the work of hyping it up. I hope it does well, even though I won't be able to play it. I've never understood why there are so few really good superhero games... it seems like they would make such a natural pairing.

What I really want is another Marvel Alliance game. I played the heck out of those games.

Won't be sad to see Zdarsky leave PPSSM. #308 was just awful, but then again it was probably more to do with Bacholo & his art. Can't stand it. SM/DP, I can't believe it's lasted this long. It's a decent book, but it really serves no purpose. RYV...adios.