Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Default Will we ever get a Wonder Woman spin off movies like Wonder Girl?

DC has announced that a Supergirl movie is in development. Batgirl, Nightwing, Black Adam, Birds of Prey has also been announced earlier. So what about WW characters like Wonder Girl?
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 08-12-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I doubt it. The movie people seem to go after characters that have material to work with. Cassie barely has anything to give a 2 hour movie. Maybe Donna but her material would be a damn headache to them.

They also go for characters that have public awareness which neither have. Maybe if DC starts doing something with them in comics then animation and t.v shows we may see something.

I think a general "Amazons" movie is the closest thing to a spinoff we'd get for Wonder Woman.

Plus, the "Wonder Girl" name just has so much baggage. Would they use Donna, who has a convoluted and hard-to-understand backstory? Or would they use Cassandra, who has an original almost identical to the DCEU Diana? I think DC needs to fix both characters in the comics before they're ever given their own solo film.

Honestly, I could see them do a Teen Titans or Young Justice movie. Possibly after introducing them in a JL movie.

Incredible Member

If not for the upcoming Teen Titans TV series, a Teen Titans film with Wonder Girl (probably in the sequel, not the first film) may have been a possibility.

But, when they're no doubt hoping that "exclusive" shows like Teen Titans will get people subscribing to the DC streaming service, I don't think they will "dilute" any of the streaming brands with movies. I could be very wrong, as Teen Titans seems to be very popular when it comes to the entertainment side of things, but it seems unlikely.

I guess there is a very slim chance that in 10+ years, DC may elect to softly reboot the DCEU with the sidekicks and in that case they may introduce Donna or Cassie to form part of the Justice League 2.0 along with Superboy, Nightwing, Kid Flash, Aqualad, etc. But, their plans for the DCEU "shared" universe seem to be in a bit of a state of flux at the moment. I think they'd be more likely just to do a complete reboot and recast Wonder Woman than try to continue the established characters.

There may be a infinitesimal chance that DC would be interested in developing a Wonder Family / Amazon related TV series for their streaming service. Perhaps they might even drag out that old "Amazon" TV series script and re-write it with Donna Troy. It would kind of fit the established canon - Diana left Themyscira in 1914, Donna is the lone survivor of a shipwreck who washes up on the island in 2010 (or whatever random date depending upon how old she is), Donna lives and trains with the Amazons as Hippolyta's adopted daughter for a while, then Hippolyta (or whoever) receives a vision of some new danger in man's world and Donna accompanied by two (or three) Amazon "aunts / trainers" returns to man's world and enters the dangerous arena of high school! Donna then has to balance training to be an Amazon champion with homework, boys and fighting various mythological threats which just so happen to arise at her high school because it's situated near Doom's Doorway or it's in Gateway City and the city originally obtained that name because there are a variety of mystical gateways to and from other worlds, planets, etc.

Honestly its kinda iffy. Not that Donna or Cassie don't have a fair share of material to work with since either one of them could easily get a trilogy out of their respective mythos. But the issue is more what they could bring to movies that would differentiate them from Wonder Woman and what would elicit a positive fan reaction.

Batgirl and Supergirl are pretty well known figures outside of the comics. Nightwing is a charismatic cheerful Batman with a nice ass. Birds of Prey and Black Adam were uplifted thanks to powerful fans.

The Wonder girls however hardly ever get any attention in other forms of media, with ironically, a teenage Diana acting in place of either Wonder Girl. For the same reason that Superboy will probably never get a movie, I can't see Donna or Cassie getting that kind of attention until DCs willing to show Diana with a supporting cast.
    Heck, if we can't even have Donna or Cassie appear in Wonder Womans own book in the comics or get their own series, how much chance would they have of garnering a film?

Movie Wonder Woman certainly has the history to support the existence of several Wonder Girls, but aside from Jenkins I don't know if anyone in hollywood cares about the Wonder girls enough to push for them getting a solo film like how other individuals were able to push ahead movies for Black Adamand Birds of Prey through sheer star power.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I think a general "Amazons" movie is the closest thing to a spinoff we'd get for Wonder Woman.

Plus, the "Wonder Girl" name just has so much baggage. Would they use Donna, who has a convoluted and hard-to-understand backstory? Or would they use Cassandra, who has an original almost identical to the DCEU Diana? I think DC needs to fix both characters in the comics before they're ever given their own solo film.
    That's about where my mind goes.

Doesn't even count that the strength of any one of the single character's films might not automatically translate into this sort of thing doing well(shoot, even being completed).

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

I doubt the origin would be a blackball, they are going to tell their version of it anyway so it doesn't matter what exactly it is in the comics.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Honestly its kinda iffy. Not that Donna or Cassie don't have a fair share of material to work with since either one of them could easily get a trilogy out of their respective mythos. But the issue is more what they could bring to movies that would differentiate them from Wonder Woman and what would elicit a positive fan reaction.

Batgirl and Supergirl are pretty well known figures outside of the comics. Nightwing is a charismatic cheerful Batman with a nice ass. Birds of Prey and Black Adam were uplifted thanks to powerful fans.

The Wonder girls however hardly ever get any attention in other forms of media, with ironically, a teenage Diana acting in place of either Wonder Girl. For the same reason that Superboy will probably never get a movie, I can't see Donna or Cassie getting that kind of attention until DCs willing to show Diana with a supporting cast.
    Heck, if we can't even have Donna or Cassie appear in Wonder Womans own book in the comics or get their own series, how much chance would they have of garnering a film?

Movie Wonder Woman certainly has the history to support the existence of several Wonder Girls, but aside from Jenkins I don't know if anyone in hollywood cares about the Wonder girls enough to push for them getting a solo film like how other individuals were able to push ahead movies for Black Adamand Birds of Prey through sheer star power.
    I have to say Superhero girls kinda disappointed me there. Donna and Cassie were obvious choices, but....

I don't think it's going to happen. Donna and Cassie have been treated unfairly. I mean DC mini-series haven't done well.

Diana will save a baby girl from a building fire at the end of WW84, and take her to Themyscira to be raised by Hippolyta. She'll age slowly, be trained as an Amazon, and given 'magical gifts' from the armory when she leaves the island, and heads to the US in 2020.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I have to say Superhero girls kinda disappointed me there. Donna and Cassie were obvious choices, but....
    No, they weren't. DC Superhero Girls uses Diana herself - who's still called Wonder Woman despite being a teenager. Because of that, logically the Wonder Girls wouldn't yet exist.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I agree, but at least in the context of the upcoming reboot of DC Super Hero Girls from Lauren Faust, DC mandated the use of Wonder Woman (Diana) as opposed to Wonder Girl (Donna) who Faust had used in her earlier Super Best Friends shorts.

I think Faust attributed it to a requirement for brand consistency or something. Which is pretty silly since the inclusion of Supergirl and Batgirl apparently doesn't detract from DC's branding of Superman and Batman.

Maybe we'll see Wonder Girl (Donna) eventually introduced as a tweenager in the animated series? In an annoying younger sister role?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I agree, but at least in the context of the upcoming reboot of DC Super Hero Girls from Lauren Faust, DC mandated the use of Wonder Woman (Diana) as opposed to Wonder Girl (Donna) who Faust had used in her earlier Super Best Friends shorts.

I think Faust attributed it to a requirement for brand consistency or something. Which is pretty silly since the inclusion of Supergirl and Batgirl apparently doesn't detract from DC's branding of Superman and Batman.

Maybe we'll see Wonder Girl (Donna) eventually introduced as a tweenager in the animated series? In an annoying younger sister role?
    Yeah, what I didn't get is why they didn't just have Diana as a teacher or something? then they could have Cassie and/or Donna as her students. But I guess if the guys paying for it to be done want it a certain way... meh :/

Due to Dc not knowing how to deal with Donna. I can’t see how well it will go. What’s donna’s Best arc? I honestly would say with the TT. The best bet is having her POV of how she joined the TT. Flashbacks of her relationship with Diana