Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    GOTG Vol.2 was a pretty good film. Gunn's version of the Guardians worked because they are in a different universe from the 616 one. And because 90% of MCU fans had no experience with 616 version of the characters.

I do agree that they nerfed Gamora hard. I was dissapointed that Gunn turned Jim Starlin's snarky and formidable martial artist into a damsel in distress who has trouble with a bunch of inmates.
    To say nothing of the Nova Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Goes to show how generational and subjective these things are. For some people, the pre-movies Star Lord is the real deal, whereas for people like me, without Chris Pratt, there is no Star Lord.
    Me personally, I like Chris Pratt. I like his character in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. But in no way is that character Star-Lord to me. And I absolutely hate it that the comics have badly tried to ape that version and destroy the one that had been around for decades. This is why I am so weary about departures from the source material. People often go “Why do you care? It’s just an alternate universe.” That’s true, but WAY more often than not, the comics, nowadays, twist themselves into pretzels in order to match the movies. You’ve got Star-Lord. You’ve got the Dora Milaje suddenly looking like they do in the movies and Shuri magically turning into the movie version in her upcoming series. You’ve even got writers writing characters like the movie versions even though there has been no giant retcon and the editors should’ve caught it; Drax being an alien that takes metaphors literally in the Squirrel Girl comic. There is a way for synergy to happen and make sense, but it shouldn’t come the a cost of losing who the characters are in the comics. For instance, some types of synergy that make sense are bringing the Hulk back into the Avengers, bringing Steve Rogers back to life in time for his solo movie, or doing a story about a certain villain when they are the main villain of the current movie. But it shouldn’t be the be-all-end-all of how things are decided. The truth is, movies don’t bring in a hell of a lot of new readers. And those who do come in from TV and movies don’t expect the comics to be exactly the same and are ready to do some research if they’re really interested.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Me personally, I like Chris Pratt. I like his character in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. But in no way is that character Star-Lord to me. And I absolutely hate it that the comics have badly tried to ape that version and destroy the one that had been around for decades. This is why I am so weary about departures from the source material. People often go “Why do you care? It’s just an alternate universe.” That’s true, but WAY more often than not, the comics, nowadays, twist themselves into pretzels in order to match the movies. You’ve got Star-Lord. You’ve got the Dora Milaje suddenly looking like they do in the movies and Shuri magically turning into the movie version in her upcoming series. You’ve even got writers writing characters like the movie versions even though there has been no giant retcon and the editors should’ve caught it; Drax being an alien that takes metaphors literally in the Squirrel Girl comic. There is a way for synergy to happen and make sense, but it shouldn’t come the a cost of losing who the characters are in the comics. For instance, some types of synergy that make sense are bringing the Hulk back into the Avengers, bringing Steve Rogers back to life in time for his solo movie, or doing a story about a certain villain when they are the main villain of the current movie. But it shouldn’t be the be-all-end-all of how things are decided. The truth is, movies don’t bring in a hell of a lot of new readers. And those who do come in from TV and movies don’t expect the comics to be exactly the same and are ready to do some research if they’re really interested.
    THIS! So much this!

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Drax being an alien that takes metaphors literally in the Squirrel Girl comic.
    I think that Duggan's Drax was copying the stilted, overly literal speaking style of the movie long before Ryan North did. Even the CM Punk/Cullen Bunn Drax series had some of that.

There is a way for synergy to happen and make sense, but it shouldn’t come the a cost of losing who the characters are in the comics. For instance, some types of synergy that make sense are bringing the Hulk back into the Avengers, bringing Steve Rogers back to life in time for his solo movie, or doing a story about a certain villain when they are the main villain of the current movie. But it shouldn’t be the be-all-end-all of how things are decided. The truth is, movies don’t bring in a hell of a lot of new readers. And those who do come in from TV and movies don’t expect the comics to be exactly the same and are ready to do some research if they’re really interested.
    Agreed. I don't think there's anything wrong with making an old villain or background character a little visible if they're showing up in a movie soon, but there's no reason to replace characterization and history with the adapted versions.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I think that Duggan's Drax was copying the stilted, overly literal speaking style of the movie long before Ryan North did. Even the CM Punk/Cullen Bunn Drax series had some of that.
    I don’t recall him ever writing Drax as only being capable understanding metaphors literally though. Duggan has actually been pretty good on bringing back old continuity such as Drax playing the saxophone and Groot talking normally/recalling the first time he visited Earth. I just wish he would do the same with Star-Lord and bring back his old origin, look, and personality.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Me personally, I like Chris Pratt. I like his character in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. But in no way is that character Star-Lord to me.
    Fair enough.

And I absolutely hate it that the comics have badly tried to ape that version and destroy the one that had been around for decades. This is why I am so weary about departures from the source material. People often go “Why do you care? It’s just an alternate universe.” That’s true, but WAY more often than not, the comics, nowadays, twist themselves into pretzels in order to match the movies. You’ve got Star-Lord. You’ve got the Dora Milaje suddenly looking like they do in the movies and Shuri magically turning into the movie version in her upcoming series. You’ve even got writers writing characters like the movie versions even though there has been no giant retcon and the editors should’ve caught it; Drax being an alien that takes metaphors literally in the Squirrel Girl comic. There is a way for synergy to happen and make sense, but it shouldn’t come the a cost of losing who the characters are in the comics. For instance, some types of synergy that make sense are bringing the Hulk back into the Avengers, bringing Steve Rogers back to life in time for his solo movie, or doing a story about a certain villain when they are the main villain of the current movie. But it shouldn’t be the be-all-end-all of how things are decided. The truth is, movies don’t bring in a hell of a lot of new readers. And those who do come in from TV and movies don’t expect the comics to be exactly the same and are ready to do some research if they’re really interested.
    Fair enough. Me, I find that I seek out comic book versions that reflect the movies or other adaptation that I first encountered (hence why I prefer Ultimate Spider-Man to Amazing Spider-Man, for example). But I'm hardly representative of the reading audience as a whole. And I can get not liking changes like that; I probably won't ever watch the Runaways TV show because of the changes to the source material.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I don’t recall him ever writing Drax as only being capable understanding metaphors literally though. Duggan has actually been pretty good on bringing back old continuity such as Drax playing the saxophone and Groot talking normally/recalling the first time he visited Earth. I just wish he would do the same with Star-Lord and bring back his old origin, look, and personality.
    Duggan take on the GOTG is surprisingly good. Of course, he still failed with Thanos' characterisation and dialogue in Infinity Wars.

Oh, i'll never forgive Bendis and Loeb for what they did to Quill, Richard Rider and Thanos. I don't care if Loeb made good stories like the Long Halloween and Superman For All Seasons in the past. I'll never buy a comic written by them ever again. I'm basically the Superboy Prime of Marvel Cosmic.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Hell, Squirrel Girl even treats Drax like the movie version with the metaphor thing. (Where are the editors?)
    The editors are probably encouraging writers to write the characters like the ones most are familiar with (i.e., the movies). I doubt they're absent from this process.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Completely agree with the OP. I strongly dislike the characterization of the movies, especially vol. 2. DNA’s Guardians are fantastic, especially Quill and Rocket.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The editors are probably encouraging writers to write the characters like the ones most are familiar with (i.e., the movies). I doubt they're absent from this process.
    Basically this.

Astonishing Member

Oh, i'll never forgive Bendis and Loeb for what they did to Quill, Richard Rider and Thanos. I don't care if Loeb made good stories like the Long Halloween and Superman For All Seasons in the past. I'll never buy a comic written by them ever again. I'm basically the Superboy Prime of Marvel Cosmic.
    I don't think Loeb really had anything to do with those 3. I know he created Sam Alexander as the new Nova but never in his series was Richard Rider disrespected in fact they do honour him by showing the characters impacted by him.

Here's a great essay on the Sad Saga of Star-Lord and the derailment of Marvel Cosmic heroes.

https://richridernova.wordpress.com/...racterization/
    Also, obbligatory ''no one can write Thanos but Jim Starlin'' comment.

I think I know the answer but was wanting to get some feedback from folks who read them. The Humpries and Zdarsky Star Lord runs, would anyone recommend them?

I much prefer the pre-movie Star Lord versions of the character but I’ve almost read through all of those stories.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I think I know the answer but was wanting to get some feedback from folks who read them. The Humpries and Zdarsky Star Lord runs, would anyone recommend them?

I much prefer the pre-movie Star Lord versions of the character but I’ve almost read through all of those stories.
    Don't do it Humpries Star-lord is worse than MCU Star-Lord. I'm waiting for the Old Man Quill series.