Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default When Star-Lord had the voice of John-117

Movie Guardians are great and all but I miss these guys and DnA. I especially miss Jaded and sardonic guilt ridden way over his head (and sometimes a bit of a smartass) veteran Peter Quill, that guy was interesting. And i miss badass martial artist Gamora.

I also miss when the Guardians were like a commando and always get involved in Warhammer 40,000 style adventures and barely escaped with their lives and sometimes with some casualties, I preffer that to the comedic joke that they became in the comics because of Bendis and the editors obsession with MCU sinergy.

What happened to the Marvel Cosmic that i used to know?

Back when Star-Lord in the comics was a cool soldier with his classic origin and brown hair rather than being a goofy manchild with a Bendis origin and blond hair/a beard.

And Rocket called himself a raccoon and didn’t freak out when someone called him one.

Hell, Squirrel Girl even treats Drax like the movie version with the metaphor thing. (Where are the editors?)

Guardians have sadly been destroyed ever since their return before the movie/when it was announced.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 08-12-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Back when Star-Lord in the comics was a cool soldier with his classic origin and brown hair rather than being a goofy manchild with a Bendis origin and blond hair/a beard.

And Rocket called himself a raccoon and didn’t freak out when someone called him one.

Hell, Squirrel Girl even treats Drax like the movie version with the metaphor thing. (Where are the editors?)

Guardians have sadly been destroyed ever since their return before the movie/when it was announced.
    Its quite simple: The editors don't give a d'ast about the characters.

Actually Peter had blond hair in the original 1970's stories.

To me Star-Lord has always looked like this:
    d429cff880c72f55f5be318ed5bd2c22.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Its quite simple: The editors don't give a d'ast about the characters. Actually Peter had blond hair in the original 1970's stories.
    He had blond hair on a few covers and issue, but they were brown in the interiors of most. Black and white issues had his hair dark (including the first issue, which I show a panel from below), which contrasted with the blond characters significantly. Later color issues also had it brown.

The others, sure. they changed for the worse, but I never really found classic Starlord likeable at all.

Here's a great essay on the Sad Saga of Star-Lord and the derailment of Marvel Cosmic heroes.

https://richridernova.wordpress.com/...racterization/

Here's a great essay on the Sad Saga of Star-Lord and the derailment of Marvel Cosmic heroes.

https://richridernova.wordpress.com/...racterization/
    Very good. Though, I would also add how Marvel compartmentalized all of Star-Lord’s original appearances to an AU, wrote out the Master of the Sun and NASA, and made Jason into a supervillain with an illegimate daughter (that was somehow a victim of racism in space) rather than the good man who never loved again after Meredith Quill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    To me Star-Lord has always looked like this:
    d429cff880c72f55f5be318ed5bd2c22.jpg
    YES!

Bring back this costume!

Its a good costume but i still like the Giffen's One better. I love that Mask.

None of the Guardians have been written well since the DnA run. That largely includes the movies. The second one especially was dire.
    Seriously, the treatment these characters have gotten at Marvel is borderline criminal.
    #EmmaWasRight

I loved the DnA Guardians. Some of my favorite Marvel comics that aren't written by Jim Starlin.

I also really liked the post-movie GotG alot. Maybe even more.

That's all, really.
    Batman - Daredevil

What happened to the Marvel Cosmic that i used to know?
    Given current events I think the Guardians you like are due for a return any moment now.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Goes to show how generational and subjective these things are. For some people, the pre-movies Star Lord is the real deal, whereas for people like me, without Chris Pratt, there is no Star Lord.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    None of the Guardians have been written well since the DnA run. That largely includes the movies. The second one especially was dire.
    Seriously, the treatment these characters have gotten at Marvel is borderline criminal.
    GOTG Vol.2 was a pretty good film. Gunn's version of the Guardians worked because they are in a different universe from the 616 one. And because 90% of MCU fans had no experience with 616 version of the characters.

I do agree that they nerfed Gamora hard. I was dissapointed that Gunn turned Jim Starlin's snarky and formidable martial artist into a damsel in distress who has trouble with a bunch of inmates.