Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    How many languages do you speak? I'm not trying to pick a fight. I speak four. Japanese, Spanish, English (American/UK), and French.
    When I speak, I speak as a native. You're dialect isn't based on race on ethnicity. It's literally based on what your surroundings are, and how your mind trains your mouth.

I live din Japan for 6 years, if you heard me speak Japanese over the phone, you'd think I was a native. I'm a big mixed race black guy from West Philly. But i grew up traveling and relating to different cultures. I speak Southern Giche. The Jawn from Philly. Yoko-ham (Yokohama dialect.), etc.

But when Psylocke was portrayed, she was always surrounded by asian motifs, which wasn't her upbringing. You usually represent the upbringing of your birth with items representing that. You incorporate other things to show your growth.

Here are the countries i've been to or lived in. Germany, England, France, Italy, Mexico, Japan, Peru. As you explore and learn, and are curious about the cultures you bring home mementos, but you'd don't normally full stop become that culture. You add it to yours. That's not cultural appropriation.

Cultural Appropriation is Rachel Dolizale lol.
    Alright, you want to make the claim of that you represent yourself with the things that represent your upbringing from birth, how about we speak of Logan? How much of his character is surrounded by things of his Canadian culture and not of the culture that he adopted when it comes to Japan? While it can be argued that that mainly stems from the fact that he couldn't remember his past, he sure as Hell knew that he wasn't Japanese and yet this is a lot of what he adopted. Even beyond the point that he had his memories restored, still he holds great ties to Japan rather than his natural home. Even before he had lost his memories Japanese culture was still a prominent part of his life and even as a man who's lived over 200 years it remains as such.

Psylocke has never been represented as one stemmed into Japanese culture in such a way. You can say that writers at times liked to put forth things that can be taken as Asian culture superficially (things that she received from being mixed with Kwannan) but at no point did they replace her connection to her British roots, even reminding us of these things quite a bit. Simply being physically of any kind of race doesn't automatically mean having a connection to said culture and it really seems that people judge her solely on the superficial rather than her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Yeah,because Emma has been way more pushed than Psylocke since Morrison.

Nearly every writer has reminded the readers one way or another that Psylocke is of English stock and I can't pinpoint a single one that has written her as actually Asian as you say.
    Yeah I never got why people complain that her being English is ignored or forgotten and all this “writers write her like she’s always been Asian” talk is puzzling.

Just how popular is Psylocke really?
    Using this forum as a point of view. Look at her thread in regards to other threads. Hell even X-23's thread surpasses Psylockes. So really just how popular outside of a few video games, a film where she was background filler, and another where she barely spoke.
    Her thread use to be extremely active until about 2 years ago. It makes sense because she hasn’t had as much going storywise as she used to, not as much to talk about. She’s no Rogue, Jean, Emma or Storm, but she’s got a decently sized fanbase. A B-lister through and through.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 08-15-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Alright, you want to make the claim of that you represent yourself with the things that represent your upbringing from birth, how about we speak of Logan? How much of his character is surrounded by things of his Canadian culture and not of the culture that he adopted when it comes to Japan? While it can be argued that that mainly stems from the fact that he couldn't remember his past, he sure as Hell knew that he wasn't Japanese and yet this is a lot of what he adopted. Even beyond the point that he had his memories restored, still he holds great ties to Japan rather than his natural home. Even before he had lost his memories Japanese culture was still a prominent part of his life and even as a man who's lived over 200 years it remains as such.

- You already answered the big discrepancy(his memory) and Wolverine is shown to keep very little personal items. What real ties does he have to Japan other than people and sword. The only reason you see so many Wolverine and Japan stories is that Ninja tend to not live Canada and ninja stories are more fun than Wendigo or Wilderness stories.

- But Wolverine stories do go back to Canada frequently and he had bad Canadian accent with him using "EH" and "Bub" whole a lot in past. If writers cared it would be more noticable but he has more than enough ties to Canada but mostly the solitary lifestyle in woods and mountains. You aren't going to get deep heritage stuff because he is so old nobody from his family is still around and Wolverine is wanderer type but between Alpha flight stuff,The native and some weapon X/department H you get to see his canadian background touched on.

- Wolverine is Calgary flames fan, In the comics see him dress like Canadian Lumberjack stereotype quite a bit
    f0xTeiecEBIyOMlt-EQVP6NUm4Jmg7jZ_hxKcv_VH0c.jpg

-Wolverine is really bad choice for your point. In the movies he is shown living Canada. Plus Wolverine claims where he is from quite a bit like in the movie Stryker tries to get Wolverine back into his top-secret strike force by pleading, “Your country needs you.” Jackman scowls back, “I’m Canadian.
    James_Howlett_(Earth-1610)_009.jpg
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-15-2018 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Eh Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    - You already answered the big discrepancy(his memory) and Wolverine is shown to keep very little personal items. What real ties does he have to Japan other than people and sword.
    Speaking fluent Japanese(as opposed to Psylocke who mastered that talent with telepathy),introducing Kitty Pryde to high Japanese martial arts,often dressed in ceremonial robes,practicing meditation(whereas in Psylocke's case,it is a habit picked up by many telepaths and was practiced by her long before the body swap),active roles in stories related to the Hand,Japanese lovers,and it goes on.

For the rest,Wolverine's Canadian links are no more valid than Psylocke's British ones,and several writers have built up on them long after the body swap(i.e.,ties to the Hellfire Club in London,association with Otherworld,etc.).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    Agreed and I really do think she’s going to stay a ninja. That is something far more iconic to the character and really distinguished her from other psychics.
    Exactly. Two Words: Elektra Natchios.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

What about Elektra?

I wish they kept the costume from her recent solo.

Really? My Ex-girlfriend is Japanese and She hated it. Buck Aw Hated it (He's Asian), an ddraws for Marvel, Marjorie Liu hated it, A few Asian friends I know hated it (they are mostly Chinese to be fair). But most of the non white comic nerds I know who actiely read are meh on her or despise it. So dunno where you got that one.

Also, everytime Psylocke was offered her own body back, it always came with Strings. She's tired of being people's puppets.
    There are a lot of Asian people who can’t stand her and find her offensive, but there are also a lot of Asian people who are fans. She is, as I’ve said before, polarizing.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Yeah,because Emma has been way more pushed than Psylocke since Morrison.

Nearly every writer has reminded the readers one way or another that Psylocke is of English stock and I can't pinpoint a single one that has written her as actually Asian as you say.
    Which was my initial point, it is something added by Morrison that more remembered, I'm not saying writers don't acknowledge it. But there's definitely a lack of including her British culture both in speech and some of the motifs she's surrounded by. Fraction's entire run, can't think off the top of my head if Gillen did, Remender might have but also had her commit seppuku, Bunn I'd like to think so but can't remember an instance off the top of my head, Bendis didn't bother with her much. What I'm getting at is dependent on the story or writer nothing about her upbringing is mentioned call it lack of time, circumstance, or whatever with Emma it's more consistently used.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    Yeah I never got why people complain that her being English is ignored or forgotten and all this “writers write her like she’s always been Asian” talk is puzzling.

I'll put it this way, pick up an issue with Betsy from the last decade and she may use terms like "bloody" or "sodding" but there's certainly no consistency even in comparison to her peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Which was my initial point, it is something added by Morrison that more remembered, I'm not saying writers don't acknowledge it. But there's definitely a lack of including her British culture both in speech and some of the motifs she's surrounded by. Fraction's entire run, can't think off the top of my head if Gillen did, Remender might have but also had her commit seppuku, Bunn I'd like to think so but can't remember an instance off the top of my head, Bendis didn't bother with her much. What I'm getting at is dependent on the story or writer nothing about her upbringing is mentioned call it lack of time, circumstance, or whatever with Emma it's more consistently used.

I'll put it this way, pick up an issue with Betsy from the last decade and she may use terms like "bloody" or "sodding" but there's certainly no consistency even in comparison to her peers.
    Going by more recent times,she was chiming English slang practically in every issue Gillen,Bunn and Spurrier wrote.Not as frequently in Remender's stories,but even he highlighted her natural eloquence as a counterbalance to Wolverine and Deadpool,never mind his addressing her connection to Otherworld.Lobdell and Nicieza,despite incorporating many Asian themes into her stories,always treated her English background with consistency,and like them,Kelly toyed with her British sarcasm in Psi War.

Is Emma convincing because she behaves like an outright English snob all the time?Or is it simply because she has gained far more prominence than Psylocke?
    Last edited by Selene; 08-15-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Speaking fluent Japanese(as opposed to Psylocke who mastered that talent with telepathy),introducing Kitty Pryde to high Japanese martial arts,often dressed in ceremonial robes,practicing meditation(whereas in Psylocke's case,it is a habit picked up by many telepaths and was practiced by her long before the body swap),active roles in stories related to the Hand,Japanese lovers,and it goes on.

For the rest,Wolverine's Canadian links are no more valid than Psylocke's British ones,and several writers have built up on them long after the body swap(i.e.,ties to the Hellfire Club in London,association with Otherworld,etc.).
    Nobody ever doubted Pyslocke's Britishness. My points was Wolverine not having Canadian background/ties was wrong
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-15-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Uhm what is the point? Nobody ever doubted Pyslocke's Britishness. My points are reference inference to Wolverine not having Canadian background
    ^Missed the point then,my apologies. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    Nothing sticks in comics. Everything gets undone sooner or later.
    Superman still hasn't gotten back his pre-crisis super-power of "super-knitting" you know.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Superman still hasn't gotten back his pre-crisis super-power of "super-knitting" you know.
    But has he gone back to being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post

Psylocke has never been represented as one stemmed into Japanese culture in such a way. You can say that writers at times liked to put forth things that can be taken as Asian culture superficially (things that she received from being mixed with Kwannan) but at no point did they replace her connection to her British roots, even reminding us of these things quite a bit. Simply being physically of any kind of race doesn't automatically mean having a connection to said culture and it really seems that people judge her solely on the superficial rather than her character.
    I can literally post pictures from comics of her in these situations. You can literally just read her mini and see it. Seriously?
    These are official comic covers. I'll have to edit some panels because the other links are to b^%$*$^@@)! sites lol.