Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Realistically? Yes.

Honestly I think two possibilities: One, they want the headlines or two they want to have their own version of Betsy that they can incorporate better in a Captain Britain movie.

I don't think Marvel vvery much care about the people who found Psylocke offensive before, since they had soo many chances to revert her in the past but chose not to.

I do think it's a mistake for her, since it's too much a part of her brand now and it would've been easier to retcon her as half Asian or something, but we'll see where this goes or even if it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Honestly I think two possibilities: One, they want the headlines or two they want to have their own version of Betsy that they can incorporate better in a Captain Britain movie.

I don't think Marvel vvery much care about the people who found Psylocke offensive before, since they had soo many chances to revert her in the past but chose not to.

I do think it's a mistake for her, since it's too much a part of her brand now and it would've been easier to retcon her as half Asian or something, but we'll see where this goes or even if it sticks.
    I hadn't thought of that but that is a really good guess.

I always thought Ninja Psylocke was Marvel wanting a "bad girl" similar to Elektra in the X-Books.

Personally, I have always prefer her as British Betsy.
    I love her early appearances in the X-Books in her original body/persona, with New Mutants Annual 2 being a firm favorite.

Now... if only Marvel would bring back those puffy sleeves...

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    I always thought Ninja Psylocke was Marvel wanting a "bad girl" similar to Elektra in the X-Books.

I love her early appearances in the X-Books in her original body/persona, with New Mutants Annual 2 being a firm favorite.

If you mean Jim Lee wanting to draw Elektra, you're exactly correct!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Marvel is making Psylocke white again? The Right [the real world tiki torch variety] are going to love this...
    I think this is one time where you'll find quite a few people with varying political viewpoints all in agreement. I liked Asian Psylocke, but I also understand why that character rubbed certain groups on both sides of the aisle the wrong way. I also liked Caucasian Betsy, too, and it doesn't bother me one bit if they're changing her back to her original form.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post

They're keeping Psylocke a physical fighter. The puffy sleeves don't fit with that. I liked her old armored look from the Australian days. Ninja Psylocke's costume was certainly a rip off of Elektra's.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I think this is one time where you'll find quite a few people with varying political viewpoints all in agreement. I liked Asian Psylocke, but I also understand why that character rubbed certain groups on both sides of the aisle the wrong way. I also liked Caucasian Betsy, too, and it doesn't bother me one bit if they're changing her back to her original form.
    Now we can finally see her back with her brother Brian! Her going back to her original body doesn't bother me either. Though I wonder what explanation do they use for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Now we can finally see her back with her brother Brian! Her going back to her original body doesn't bother me either. Though I wonder what explanation do they use for doing it.
    The thing I’m most curious about is how she get a version of her old body back. Seeing that the last times such a situation came up, the body was burned to ash and years later, Jamie pulled a new one out of time and space, but she rejected it.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Ultimate Member

Her being made a white woman again in some mini is stupid, I liked her as the Asian look and hope that she goes back to it someday...and just because she's white again doesn't mean that she'll have any more to do with her brother than she did before, and it's not her original body, she stole Styx's body and used it somehow to make a new body or something like that, so she's still in somebody else's body, so it's still all messed up...

But yes I do think that the two things are connected...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Her being made a white woman again in some mini is stupid, I liked her as the Asian look and hope that she goes back to it someday...and just because she's white again doesn't mean that she'll have any more to do with her brother than she did before, and it's not her original body, she stole Styx's body and used it somehow to make a new body or something like that, so she's still in somebody else's body, so it's still all messed up...

But yes I do think that the two things are connected...
    This is one of the few things I agree with you about. Her Asian body never stopped her from being around her brother before. They visited each other several times since the body swap and got along great until she killed Jamie.

It’s crazy to think that Betsy has spent more time as an Asian woman than a white woman
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

As for her physical form, come on, this is comics. There are a bazillion ways to get her back into something resembling her old form. It doesn't take a particularly clever writer to accomplish that. Just don't remember to keep the purple hair and give her a new costume.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

To my view, this is a blow to diversity. Hopefully, Psylocke will continue to explore Asia and remain a link to Asian characters in a less problematic way. And perhaps, eventually, we will see the return of Revanche/Kwannon. A storyline exploring Britain's past with the orient would be welcome. Psylocke: Opium Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    To my view, this is a blow to diversity. Hopefully, Psylocke will continue to explore Asia and remain a link to Asian characters in a less problematic way. And perhaps, eventually, we will see the return of Revanche/Kwannon. A storyline exploring Britain's past with the orient would be welcome. Psylocke: Opium Wars.
    Oh yeah, that'll make everyone happy! Most people today don't even understand that history, I don't think Marvel wants to dredge it back up(it certainly won't earn them PC points). I do think there should be justice for Kwannon, though. I'd do her as a Chinese mutant warrior with the psi-knife and shadow teleporting powers outright in the MCU and leave telepathic/pre-cog/Arthurian magical Elizabeth Braddock for the Captain Britain line.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!