Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Her being in an Asian body has nothing to do with them being apart. Hell, when they did House of M’s tie in in Uncanny years ago even in a world where everyone had what they wanted Psylocke was still Asian and they didn’t have any divide there. And even if you put her into a Caucasian body, that still doesn’t erase the recent bit of friction between the two that came from her killing Jamie.
    I couldn’t agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    But doesn't a biracial look on ink still play as Asian? I think it's about more than her origin. Plus, I don't think splitting it down the middle would really satisfy the offended groups. I have a feeling either way someone is not going to be happy.
    Not necessarily. If they went with biracial, they could pick and choose which things to take from both bodies that she remains recognizable to her iconic look but is still distinguishable from someone who is Asian. In that sense, they could have their cake and eat it too. And really, I don’t think the “offended” group is really as big as people think that they are considering how long they’ve kept her like this when she’s a pretty high profile member of the X-Men. Honestly, Marvel should try the middle ground more often rather than taking things in one direction or the other as if there isn’t a third option.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I think that's part of the controversy. I read Uncanny during the Claremont years during when Betsy wasn't a major player on the team yet and took a long break through the 90's starting before Betsy was transformed. When I came back into the fold I had just always assumed she was Asian. Then when I started re-reading the whole series I was a bit boggled by the whole thing. So for people like me, Psylocke was always an Asian girl and changing her "back" is basically changing her "to" a white girl.
    Seconded.

(I wouldn't be surprised if this gets reversed eventually. I mean, hasn't Psylocke gotten her original form back before, but always found herself back in Kwannon's body? Besides, as I commented before, I think that Psylocke being Asian or inside an Asian woman's body has become such a key element of the character that they can't put it back in the box.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Someone decided after 30 years that it was an issue just now.

I only hope is that they'll bring in another Asian character to be as central as Psylocke for the white balance. Otherwise the attempt to do something progressive becomes regressive.
    The times they are a-changin'?
    A lot of the books that I have read when I was a kid are now deemed inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Flameworthy View Post
    They really should bring back Kwannon if they're going to put Betsy back in her original body. I've always had a soft spot for her character and would really love to know more about her backstory, how she became and assassin and everything leading up to her having her body stolen. This would also give help give the X-Books the actual Asian representation it needs.
    Nope. Kwannon is what makes Betsy's transformation unnecessarily convoluted.
    Until she appeared, "it's magic!" by way of The Hand worked just fine.

As for Asian representation, currently Marvel has plenty of Asian characters they can use, if they wanted to.
    Or they can always create new ones.
    Or bring back Tyger Tiger (I always have a soft spot for her! )

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seconded.

(I wouldn't be surprised if this gets reversed eventually. I mean, hasn't Psylocke gotten her original form back before, but always found herself back in Kwannon's body? Besides, as I commented before, I think that Psylocke being Asian or inside an Asian woman's body has become such a key element of the character that they can't put it back in the box.)
    She only got her original body back once during the Sisterhood arc in Fraction’s Uncanny. They teased the possibility of her getting her original body back other times since, but that’s the only time she switched back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If you mean Jim Lee wanting to draw Elektra, you're exactly correct!
    I've told folks before that Jim Lee Wanted to Draw Elektra and Got denied by Frank Miller. Then when he came to the X-books They (He and Claremont) chose the Mandarin as their Crossover for a 3 issue arc and Claremont thought it would be easier to change her back after the event. But lees art proved popular. Also Claremont soon left the books and was unable to change her back.

I've spoken to Claremont, Buck Aw, and a couple others on the subject. A few in person, and in a decent setting, and with Buck Aw a couple weeks ago after a Diversity panel, and he wasn't happy with what happened to her in the past.

So this issue broke the camels back with an editor faking being Japanese.
    I lived in Japan for near a decade, dated a Japanese woman and never once knew a ninja or faked being Japanese.

Here's Claremont Interview with how he felt about Psylockes change in his own words.

Claremont’s Consequences: Discussing “Asian Betsy” in 2018

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    To be honest the only people who keep bringing up the "Akira Yoshida" thing are the posters here.

I still don't see why it's a big deal since Asian X-Men fans don't care.
    Really? My Ex-girlfriend is Japanese and She hated it. Buck Aw Hated it (He's Asian), an ddraws for Marvel, Marjorie Liu hated it, A few Asian friends I know hated it (they are mostly Chinese to be fair). But most of the non white comic nerds I know who actiely read are meh on her or despise it. So dunno where you got that one.

Also, everytime Psylocke was offered her own body back, it always came with Strings. She's tired of being people's puppets.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    The times they are a-changin'?
    A lot of the books that I have read when I was a kid are now deemed inappropriate.

Nope. Kwannon is what makes Betsy's transformation unnecessarily convoluted.
    Until she appeared, "it's magic!" by way of The Hand worked just fine.

As for Asian representation, currently Marvel has plenty of Asian characters they can use, if they wanted to.
    Or they can always create new ones.
    Or bring back Tyger Tiger (I always have a soft spot for her! )
    They even have an Asian telepath around. Just use Karma more often. There's also Amor and Jubilee. Sunfire has a sister with the same powers that was killed off. Just bring her back.

BANNED

Seconded.

I'm pretty sure it will not get reversed, not with 21st century cultural sensibilities. All Marvel has to do is use the Asian female characters they have. If they want an Asian woman telepathic warrior just give Karma fighting lessons.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    You know if the X-men are ever rebooted from scratch Psylocke should just be biracial. That's what she looks like in the comics anyway.
    No, they shouldn't! Erasing her past to appease one group who prefer a half nekkid or semi nekkid Ninja chick is bad. That's what they did to the Major in Ghost in the Shell. It's appeasing some people to annoy others.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'll never understand why people want Kwannon back in the name of Asian representation when the X-Men still has Daken, Surge, Armor, Kenji, Gorgon, Ogun, Xorn, Sprite and Nature Girl.
    People want Kwannon back, because of how she was treated in the first place. She was an Asian character who was (Unnecessarily) added to a white character because some guy wanted to Draw Elektra and couldn't and another guy didn't read the other guys issues. Then with a history of Colonialism in Asian Countries where the Asian tropes ar eloved, but not the asian, the Asian woman was put in the (Ordinary) White Woman's body, then killed off, because at the time there was no internet as it is today (Except Bulletin Boards online) for people to discuss the ickiness of the whole Situation, even though using Google groups you can find some.

So some want her back because she was never turly given a chance to succeed or fail as a character. Then we got a white woman in an Asian form because they loved the Asian tropes, but not the Asian.

They might as well have just made the new body biracial essentially blending the features of both her original and Asian bodies to bring a middle ground to both camps.
    Nope, then what was the purpose of her having a past, if they make her biracial to appease some readers, then erase her background to annoy other readers. Marvel isn't about that life anymore. Times are changing and this is offensive to some, including myself, and not to others.

Not necessarily. If they went with biracial, they could pick and choose which things to take from both bodies that she remains recognizable to her iconic look but is still distinguishable from someone who is Asian. In that sense, they could have their cake and eat it too. And really, I don’t think the “offended” group is really as big as people think that they are considering how long they’ve kept her like this when she’s a pretty high profile member of the X-Men. Honestly, Marvel should try the middle ground more often rather than taking things in one direction or the other as if there isn’t a third option.
    Naw, turn her back and be done with it. Let the new/old white Psylocke rise and fall on her merits. Let Kwannon be her own woman, and rise and fall on her own merits.

Seconded.

It won't. Once this is done it's pretty, much done. Why make her white again and fix her ickiness, only to piss off Asian fans, and non asian fans with it. Some here hate the fact they are retreading it anyway, and in a way I do too. But this time It's going to stick. The last few times were attempts, and aborted because of events or editorial plans.

I'm going to say no, they turned Captain America into a freaking Nazi and everyone was able to keep their jobs, Asian Psylocke is on all the merchandise that's never going to change, it's more about reinventing Kwannon as a character down the road free form Betsy's baggage and the perceptions of people who weren't able to accept the characters as they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    But this time It's going to stick.
    Nothing sticks in comics. Everything gets undone sooner or later.

Maybe? Either way, I just bought a 9.8 copy of Uncanny X-Men #256.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    Nothing sticks in comics. Everything gets undone sooner or later.
    Somethings do stick in comics. Things can change due to changing overall society and culture.

Asian Psylocke is incredibly popular, vastly more than her Marvel UK or even Outback versions. The only way I see this working for Marvel is if Kwannon comes back to fill the Asian psychic ninja in a bikini role while Betsy returns to her precog butterfly paleness.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'