Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Novaya Havoc View Post
    Exactly. This was set up in that Annual issue where she husked her weakness away and was a femme-bot. She was juiced up with combat skills (see: Kitty Pryde, this isn't new) and the whole "psychic blade" business.
    I think being deemed "worthy" by the Siege Perilous was VERY much about wish fulfillment, albeit with a twist in some cases: Rogue was separated from Carol Danvers, Peter became an artist and Alison a star. It's a bit harder to understand Alex ending up in Genosha, but I always interpreted it as him seeking respect and also wanting to get away from the madness his life with the X-Men had become. Elizabeth's fate was dictated by her desire to be a true warrior and a physical fighter and to me it was very much a natural evolution of her character. And in her case the Siege's twist was that she ended up not looking like her former self.

If you read the Uncanny X-Men issue where Betsy fights Sabretooth and joins the X-Men, she wonders how she can show the team "the tiger within"; and again in the already-mentioned annual drawn by Alan Davis, her "heart's desire" is to be transformed into a metallic warrior. Ninja-Betsy made so much sense to me when it happened because it felt like a natural progression for the character.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I think being deemed "worthy" by the Siege Perilous was VERY much about wish fulfillment, albeit with a twist in some cases: Rogue was separated from Carol Danvers, Peter became an artist and Alison a star. It's a bit harder to understand Alex ending up in Genosha, but I always interpreted it as him seeking respect and also wanting to get away from the madness his life with the X-Men had become. Elizabeth's fate was dictated by her desire to be a true warrior and a physical fighter and to me it was very much a natural evolution of her character. And in her case the Siege's twist was that she ended up not looking like her former self.

If you read the Uncanny X-Men issue where Betsy fights Sabretooth and joins the X-Men, she wonders how she can show the team "the tiger within"; and again in the already-mentioned annual drawn by Alan Davis, her "heart's desire" is to be transformed into a metallic warrior. Ninja-Betsy made so much sense to me when it happened because it felt like a natural progression for the character.
    Exactatiously!

BANNED

For me. I feel slightly the opposite. As she was already on her way to becoming a fighter, just not a Ninja. People forget there are other fighting styles that are awesome outside of Ninjutsu. Let's say Jim Lee got his Elektra, and never joined Claremont as full time artist, and the X-men got say the Sinister Six.

Would Psylocke have become a Ninja then or learned another way to engage in physical combat? Emma is a decent fighter and can hold her own without being a ninja, and Jobs a lot less than Betsy lol.

So thought Experiment. How would she have evolved to become a better fighter had they gotten the Sinister Six?

To me her natural evolution was becoming the leader of the X-men, and being the active field Telepath. I mean in Issue 249, if not for her, they wold have gotten chumped big time, same as in the next issue. I would have loved to see them stay and fight Zaladane, and recruit Magneto.

I wanted that so much, I based my stories on that premise lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    For me. I feel slightly the opposite. As she was already on her way to becoming a fighter, just not a Ninja. People forget there are other fighting styles that are awesome outside of Ninjutsu. Let's say Jim Lee got his Elektra, and never joined Claremont as full time artist, and the X-men got say the Sinister Six.

Would Psylocke have become a Ninja then or learned another way to engage in physical combat? Emma is a decent fighter and can hold her own without being a ninja, and Jobs a lot less than Betsy lol.

So thought Experiment. How would she have evolved to become a better fighter had they gotten the Sinister Six?

To me her natural evolution was becoming the leader of the X-men, and being the active field Telepath. I mean in Issue 249, if not for her, they wold have gotten chumped big time, same as in the next issue. I would have loved to see them stay and fight Zaladane, and recruit Magneto.

I wanted that so much, I based my stories on that premise lol.
    I wouldn't mind if she became a sword fighter or some sort of brawler. The possibilities are endless.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

If I recall correctly, the Siege Perilous didn't change her.
    She came out looking like her normal self, except that she has lost her memories.
    She was found by The Hand and they transformed her.

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    She came out looking like her normal self, except that she has lost her memories.
    True that! Mojo/Spiral/the Hand transformed her, not the SP.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I didn't mean to say the Siege literally changed her - but it did place her in a situation where she ended up looking entirely different from before. Same as Havok ending up working for some of the X-Men's biggest enemies... I always interpreted it as a sort of cosmic irony from the Siege.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post

I get what you're saying. But for me being a ninja, or becoming Asian for that matter, are just by-products of her transformation into a physical fighter. She could have been transformed into that metallic being from the Alan Davis annual, for that matter: her biggest wish was to become stronger and not let anyone hurt her friends, family and herself. The Siege's "twist" was that she had to forsake everything she was, including her own face, to achieve that. Excluding real-world creators motivations of fetishization and sexualization, in-story I always found the above explanation satisfactory and very much in line with what came before and how she was characterized before.

I get what you're saying. But for me being a ninja, or becoming Asian for that matter, are just by-products of her transformation into a physical fighter. She could have been transformed into that metallic being from the Alan Davis annual, for that matter: her biggest wish was to become stronger and not let anyone hurt her friends, family and herself. The Siege's "twist" was that she had to forsake everything she was, including her own face, to achieve that. Excluding real-world creators motivations of fetishization and sexualization, in-story I always found the above explanation satisfactory and very much in line with what came before and how she was characterized before.
    So your theory is that when The Hand remade Betsy into Asian Ninja, they were just doing what the Siege Perilous set them up to do?

So your theory is that when The Hand remade Betsy into Asian Ninja, they were just doing what the Siege Perilous set them up to do?
    Not literally so. It was more like the Siege placed Betsy in a situation where she had to go through an ordeal and be manipulated and transformed in order to become a "true warrior". That is if we buy into the theory that coming out of the Siege is all about getting your "heart's desire"... which was true in most of the other cases.

BANNED

Not literally so. It was more like the Siege placed Betsy in a situation where she had to go through an ordeal and be manipulated and transformed in order to become a "true warrior". That is if we buy into the theory that coming out of the Siege is all about getting your "heart's desire"... which was true in most of the other cases.
    They got their wishes in a twisted/real sort of way...it didn't magically give it to them, but put them into situations where it was achieved. Which is nice to see in a comic...the actual journey to the end result.