Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

To be honest the only people who keep bringing up the "Akira Yoshida" thing are the posters here.

I still don't see why it's a big deal since Asian X-Men fans don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post
    It’s crazy to think that Betsy has spent more time as an Asian woman than a white woman
    I think that's part of the controversy. I read Uncanny during the Claremont years during when Betsy wasn't a major player on the team yet and took a long break through the 90's starting before Betsy was transformed. When I came back into the fold I had just always assumed she was Asian. Then when I started re-reading the whole series I was a bit boggled by the whole thing. So for people like me, Psylocke was always an Asian girl and changing her "back" is basically changing her "to" a white girl.

Betsy being an Asian psychic ninja is what made her standout, now she’s going to be female Caucasian telepath number upmteen, who cares? Reverting is going to hurt the character...

BANNED

Someone decided after 30 years that it was an issue just now.

I only hope is that they'll bring in another Asian character to be as central as Psylocke for the white balance. Otherwise the attempt to do something progressive becomes regressive.

I don't think they're trying to do something progressive, I think they're just trying to make something awkward go away.

And I'll never understand why Sunfire hasn't been a bigger part of the X-Men line, I always thought he was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Someone decided after 30 years that it was an issue just now.

I only hope is that they'll bring in another Asian character to be as central as Psylocke for the white balance. Otherwise the attempt to do something progressive becomes regressive.
    They really should bring back Kwannon if they're going to put Betsy back in her original body. I've always had a soft spot for her character and would really love to know more about her backstory, how she became and assassin and everything leading up to her having her body stolen. This would also give help give the X-Books the actual Asian representation it needs.

Double Post

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I don't think they're trying to do something progressive, I think they're just trying to make something awkward go away.

And I'll never understand why Sunfire hasn't been a bigger part of the X-Men line, I always thought he was interesting.
    I always thought he was consistently portrayed as a racial stereotype.

He's been portrayed pretty much like most foreign alpha-male heroes in Marvel - macho, arrogant, and needing to be taken down a peg or two by the more morally/socially advanced American hero. But he doesn't need to be portrayed like that. He's got a cool look and a cool costume, there's really no reason they can't do more with him.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Now we can finally see her back with her brother Brian! Her going back to her original body doesn't bother me either. Though I wonder what explanation do they use for doing it.
    Her being in an Asian body has nothing to do with them being apart. Hell, when they did House of M’s tie in in Uncanny years ago even in a world where everyone had what they wanted Psylocke was still Asian and they didn’t have any divide there. And even if you put her into a Caucasian body, that still doesn’t erase the recent bit of friction between the two that came from her killing Jamie.

You know if the X-men are ever rebooted from scratch Psylocke should just be biracial. That's what she looks like in the comics anyway.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'll never understand why people want Kwannon back in the name of Asian representation when the X-Men still has Daken, Surge, Armor, Kenji, Gorgon, Ogun, Xorn, Sprite and Nature Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    You know if the X-men are ever rebooted from scratch Psylocke should just be biracial. That's what she looks like in the comics anyway.
    They might as well have just made the new body biracial essentially blending the features of both her original and Asian bodies to bring a middle ground to both camps.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    They might as well have just made the new body biracial essentially blending the features of both her original and Asian bodies to bring a middle ground to both camps.
    But doesn't a biracial look on ink still play as Asian? I think it's about more than her origin. Plus, I don't think splitting it down the middle would really satisfy the offended groups. I have a feeling either way someone is not going to be happy.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    But doesn't a biracial look on ink still play as Asian? I think it's about more than her origin. Plus, I don't think splitting it down the middle would really satisfy the offended groups. I have a feeling either way someone is not going to be happy.