Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTaj View Post
    I'm genuinely curious about your opinion based on the bolded section.

What would be your position about an asian person who was raised by a white family in the UK only speaking English who later in life surrounded themselves with "asian things"? (I couldn't think of a better phrase.) That person was not raised in an asian culture and does not speak the language. However, I assume it would be fair to say that person is simply connecting with the culture associated with their race/ethnicity? If that is an agreed position we can reach, then would Psylocke also not simply be connecting with the culture associated with her asian body?

And it would differ from Rachel Dolezal because Psylocke was actually physically asian while Rachel Dolezal was pretending to be black.
    My position of an Asian race by a family of any ethnicity is a bit biased. Coming from a Military family where a good 55% of my relatives are all multi-ethnic including myself is giving me a bit of a window into this. So my biological granmother is a French/South African White woman, My Grandfather was half Black-Half Blackfoot Cherokee. My Dad is all of those. My Mother is black and Haitian mix. I'm all of those things But I look like a darksinned black male. I can literally pick and choose which of those ethnicities I wish to Identify with, and I choose them all. However I wasn't brought up Haitian, nor French/South African. I was surrounded all the time By my Black, Native, and some white cousins. I do have a Dream catcher lol. But that's because I love owls. I wear the Owl Goddess on my neck, but I'm an Atheist. I also wear an Athena pendant with it. I do some things "associated" with northern white americans, and mostly hang out with a mix of ethnic groups.

I speak many languages because my background was from many of those languages. In Philly We have a high Puerto Rican population and many of my cousins are Puerto Rican and Dominican. I speak like them when I'm around them, which is a lot lol. My curiosity about my past leads me to collect mementos about it, and travel to explore those connections. If an Asian raised by any other race was in that situation then more power to them. I'd want them to be like me in that regards and seek out your past and learn from it.

As far as her ALWAYS surrounded by asian motifs it wasn't every single issue, but when it was it was played up on moreso than any connection to Englad outside of silly ass catch phrase Git words the bashers could think off in their noddy states of ass hatery. That would be a legit use of UK/Scottish English rather than her saying a common slang term to show she's a Brit. Mention a town with foods from that area, mention a beer like Fentimans (Which is amazing), stuff like that.

BANNED

Funny thing is Psylocke sounded more British when she just talked like a normal human being before the swap. Her upbringing before the "SHE ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AN ACTION JUNKIE" Retcon Claremont put on her.
    In the old Captain Britain stories she never wanted to be a hero, and then did it from reluctance, got her ass kicked and was like, I'm good. Got kidnapped and said, might as well try it again.

Using Slang isn't a real dialect. It's slang.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    My position of an Asian race by a family of any ethnicity is a bit biased. Coming from a Military family where a good 55% of my relatives are all multi-ethnic including myself is giving me a bit of a window into this. So my biological granmother is a French/South African White woman, My Grandfather was half Black-Half Blackfoot Cherokee. My Dad is all of those. My Mother is black and Haitian mix. I'm all of those things But I look like a darksinned black male. I can literally pick and choose which of those ethnicities I wish to Identify with, and I choose them all. However I wasn't brought up Haitian, nor French/South African. I was surrounded all the time By my Black, Native, and some white cousins. I do have a Dream catcher lol. But that's because I love owls. I wear the Owl Goddess on my neck, but I'm an Atheist. I also wear an Athena pendant with it. I do some things "associated" with northern white americans, and mostly hang out with a mix of ethnic groups.

I speak many languages because my background was from many of those languages. In Philly We have a high Puerto Rican population and many of my cousins are Puerto Rican and Dominican. I speak like them when I'm around them, which is a lot lol. My curiosity about my past leads me to collect mementos about it, and travel to explore those connections. If an Asian raised by any other race was in that situation then more power to them. I'd want them to be like me in that regards and seek out your past and learn from it.

As far as her ALWAYS surrounded by asian motifs it wasn't every single issue, but when it was it was played up on moreso than any connection to Englad outside of silly ass catch phrase Git words the bashers could think off in their noddy states of ass hatery. That would be a legit use of UK/Scottish English rather than her saying a common slang term to show she's a Brit. Mention a town with foods from that area, mention a beer like Fentimans (Which is amazing), stuff like that.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I find it interesting how you have arrived at the positions you reached when it comes to Psylocke given how we seem to be on completely opposite sides of this debate. I think we can at least find some common ground on some of the more problematic aspects of her representation (orientalism and fetishization being two things that stand out) but I suppose I differ in that I consider that a problem with the writers/artists and not necessarily a problem with the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTaj View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I find it interesting how you have arrived at the positions you reached when it comes to Psylocke given how we seem to be on completely opposite sides of this debate. I think we can at least find some common ground on some of the more problematic aspects of her representation (orientalism and fetishization being two things that stand out) but I suppose I differ in that I consider that a problem with the writers/artists and not necessarily a problem with the character.
    Agreed. 10 hcars.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    ...CB was doing interviews as Asian man and Marvel was using him as showing their diversity in hiring and work.
    That, I didn't know. Yeah, that's not cool. I thought everyone was freaking out because of the simple fact that he used a Japanese name as his pseudonym.

With the new (to me) information, it becomes a lot more...icky.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member

I'm not entirely sure if it happened that way, because apparently there was already speculation in the 'comic community ' that he was a pen name for another writer because no one had met him or interviewed him, etc... and there was like one guy, from marvel who said no, I've totally met him and he's a nice guy! And by that time I thinking marvel had to know, since the dude not a professional con man or wacky sitcom star, so no way he could really pull it off that long...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

To be honest, Sam if you're interested in the Akira Yoshida thing you should go ask Brian Cronin how it went down before you listen to anyone here.

Marvel didn't really push "Akira Yoshida"; it was more like people assumed that some guy with a Japanese-esque name was doing manga and Japanese-type stories. I can't remember Cronin's story by heart but there was a part in the story where people at Marvel knew the name but never actually communicated a person with that name.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 08-17-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Just seen this - C.B’s is ironically relevant

6E32BA3F-7488-4086-9ED4-D5FB54184797.jpg

If the photo is bad quality:

Which Marvel character would you date?

‘Everyone who knows me would say Psylocke’ - C.B Cebulski
    Last edited by WheelchairX; 08-17-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    I always thought Ninja Psylocke was Marvel wanting a "bad girl" similar to Elektra in the X-Books.
    Nah.

Ninja Psylocke was Claremont's way to distinguish Psylocke in a Marvel Girl-resurrected world. Editorial allowing the Return of Jean Grey caused a big stink for Claremont's universe (Rachel/Phoenix, Madelyne Pryor, Psylocke) so he had to shift.
    Same reason Emma became a diamond beauty after integrating into the X-Men, et cet.

You can only have so many of the same power type before it's BORING. The refreshing thing about Psylocke at the time of the Outback Era, IMO, was BECAUSE she was just a telepath in a boring ol' normal gal body and the X-Men didn't have just a simple telepath at that time. Made for a fun team dynamic and new stories. Now??

Quote Originally Posted by Novaya Havoc View Post
    Nah.

Ninja Psylocke was Claremont's way to distinguish Psylocke in a Marvel Girl-resurrected world. Editorial allowing the Return of Jean Grey caused a big stink for Claremont's universe (Rachel/Phoenix, Madelyne Pryor, Psylocke) so he had to shift.
    Same reason Emma became a diamond beauty after integrating into the X-Men, et cet.
    Well Emma was already apart of Generation X
    Buuuut anyway
    Morrison gave Emma her secondary mutation cause he wanted a bruiser on his team and Colossus was not available

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Novaya Havoc View Post
    Nah.

You can only have so many of the same power type before it's BORING. The refreshing thing about Psylocke at the time of the Outback Era, IMO, was BECAUSE she was just a telepath in a boring ol' normal gal body and the X-Men didn't have just a simple telepath at that time. Made for a fun team dynamic and new stories. Now??
    Actually that's not it at all.

Psylocke only became a Ninja because Jim Lee got denied drawing Elektra by Frank Miller, and he and Claremont chose/were given the Mandarin as the villain for their story in acts of vengeance. That's the reason Psylocke wears a blue Elektra costume.
    Not to differentiate Psylocke from the others, she was already different. She was a full field Telepath, and on her way to being the leader of the team and an actual warrior, WITHOUT becoming a ninja.

Not sure where you got your info from. I got mine from Claremont, Buck Aw, and other people at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Actually that's not it at all.

Psylocke only became a Ninja because Jim Lee got denied drawing Elektra by Frank Miller, and he and Claremont chose/were given the Mandarin as the villain for their story in acts of vengeance. That's the reason Psylocke wears a blue Elektra costume.
    Not to differentiate Psylocke from the others, she was already different. She was a full field Telepath, and on her way to being the leader of the team and an actual warrior, WITHOUT becoming a ninja.

Not sure where you got your info from. I got mine from Claremont, Buck Aw, and other people at Marvel.
    Do you have a video of the round table discussion you hosted/participated in? I'd very much like to see that.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Do you have a video of the round table discussion you hosted/participated in? I'd very much like to see that.
    elektra.jpg
    170px-Psylocke_comic_cover.jpg
    I mean yeah it's not hard to distinguish a thong 1piece bathing suit but they are facing different ways. So

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Question: When did Psylocke learn that Magneto survived her assassination attempt? It was kind of a big character arc for her, so I'm curious if there was a story payoff.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I'm not entirely sure if it happened that way, because apparently there was already speculation in the 'comic community ' that he was a pen name for another writer because no one had met him or interviewed him, etc... and there was like one guy, from marvel who said no, I've totally met him and he's a nice guy! And by that time I thinking marvel had to know, since the dude not a professional con man or wacky sitcom star, so no way he could really pull it off that long...
    He didn't do for a long time but they are couple problematic stuff

1.He did phone interviews and lead people on. Quote from the verge article

"He would go on to script several Marvel miniseries that included numerous Japanese characters and themes. Marvel championed “Yoshida” at the time, noting how rare it was that a person from a non-English speaking country could succeed in telling American stories. Cebulski even gave interviews to comic book websites like Newsarama and Comic Book Resources while posing as Yoshida; he claimed to have grown up in Japan and learned English through American comics, TV and movies.

2. He wrote about Japan and that setting quite a bit and had bunch of stereotypes which would be call out way quicker people knew he was white man another verge quote "In one interview, a writer describes the prevalence of ninjas and samurais in his work, declaring that “few comics writers could effectively handle such a foreign cast of characters and exotic themes.”

3. He was breaking Marvel company policy of being writer while being editor. Not huge deal for fans but he was breaking a rule.

Quite frank I get the initial reason why he need a pen name, I don't blame him for wanting to write I don't think he is bad guy but he did do some shady stuff worthy of the heat.My point it was beyond penname and fake bio which is pretty normal for writers
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-19-2018 at 02:39 AM.