Default Daredevil/Black Widow

The first Marvel comic I ever bought was Daredevil #77 (with Spider-Man and the Submariner), but I never became a regular reader of his book until the early to mid 1970s, when he shared the book with the Black Widow. But I have never known how the two got together. Even wikipedia didn't explain that. Anyone able to fill me in?

Sandy Hausler

If you have a subscription to Marvel Unlimited those issues are now available. Essentially it was during the Kline saga a futuristic android attempting to thwart his future by affecting the past. DD and BW were key to that future as well as Foggy. Matt ends up defending Nat in a trial brought forth by Foggy. At the same time Karen realizes she cannot cope with Matt’s superheroing, Natasha and Matt become both friends and partners moving to SF. I always enjoyed that series, was disappointed when Gerber took over writing. Losing Colan to Dracula also ended a great run with those two

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    If you have a subscription to Marvel Unlimited those issues are now available. Essentially it was during the Kline saga a futuristic android attempting to thwart his future by affecting the past. DD and BW were key to that future as well as Foggy. Matt ends up defending Nat in a trial brought forth by Foggy. At the same time Karen realizes she cannot cope with Matt’s superheroing, Natasha and Matt become both friends and partners moving to SF. I always enjoyed that series, was disappointed when Gerber took over writing. Losing Colan to Dracula also ended a great run with those two
    So that was during the period when Foggy was DA?

Sandy Hausler

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

The exact issue where Black Widow came onto the title was Daredevil #81. In the prior issue, Daredevil was fighting The Owl in a helicopter, and the helicopter crashed into the Hudson River. Black Widow was in the area and dove in to save Daredevil's life.

It was a direct shift from Black Widow's solo feature in Amazing Adventures to Daredevil. The last issue of her solo feature was Amazing Adventures #8, and by the time Amazing Adventures #9 was released, she was in Daredevil #81. Gerry Conway, Daredevil writer at the time, penned the final issue of her solo feature in order to bridge the gap between her appearances. (There's a story about how editorial wanted to smush together two of their low-selling books, Iron Man and Daredevil, into one feature, but Conway decided to bring on Black Widow instead.)

She stays on in the following issues after #81 because Natasha gets framed for murder, and Matt defends her in the trial brought forward by Foggy, who was indeed DA at that time. After that she and Matt grow closer, going on some jetsetting dates and fighting crime together, and ultimately move to San Francisco. I believe the title changes to Daredevil & the Black Widow with issue #92.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 08-13-2018 at 09:43 AM.

That’s interesting. I knew Conway was writing but didn’t know he was also writing the Widow too. Also wasn’t aware that DD was selling so poorly. Glad we got the Widow rather than a mashup of Ironman and DD.

Yes I believe Foggy was DA at that time. Kline was blackmailing him to discredit Natasha, somehow changing the future for Baal. Dystopian last humanity thing. Conway had the right perspective on the Black Widow with his arc on Danny French, very spy related. I know everyone loves Frank Miller but Gene Colan will forever be my DD artist.