Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

There is an ocean of difference between Simone making an error of judgement and profusely apologising for it, and Byrne, who is just a transphobe who has been digging himself deeper for at least 3 or 4 years now even when his fans point out to him how his remarks are not done.
    Last edited by Carabas; 08-14-2018 at 11:07 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Browsing through her Twitter all I find is random stuff.
    This summarises it nicely.

http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/0...plastic-man-3/

Double standards abound. Do some digging on Gail....heck do some digging on the majority of comic writers today. I bet you will find something that someone can or have taken offense to.

Its the nature of the digital age. I’m not going to go in on Gail the stuff she hasn’t deleted can be found if you really want too. Also, because 1) I don’t have an axe to grind for her. 2) forum rules. 3) Everyones human and hold some obnoxious view on something.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Double standards abound. Do some digging on Gail....heck do some digging on the majority of comic writers today. I bet you will find something that someone can or have taken offense to.

Its the nature of the digital age. I’m not going to go in on Gail the stuff she hasn’t deleted can be found if you really want too. Also, because 1) I don’t have an axe to grind for her. 2) forum rules. 3) Everyones human and hold some obnoxious view on something.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post

I'm sorry, did you really just say that almost everybody just has to be dirty therefore blaming anybody for anything is a double standard? Without the slightest shred of evidence to back that up?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I'm sorry, did you really just say that almost everybody just has to be dirty therefore blaming anybody for anything is a double standard? Without the slightest shred of evidence to back that up?
    1) forum rules
    2) you just found the article and posted how Gail did something that actually went to print that Trans people where offended by. Yes your article painted her in a positve light but I’m sure somewhere on the interwebs there are people who are still offened by what she did. If MarySue wasn’t so one sided they probably would have covered in detail.

3) My original point was if they are letting a writter like Gail slide who is incredibly vocal then a writer who is positing on his own personal website and responding to fan inquries should be fine. Thats really it.

Denying that Gail doesn’t cross a line every now and again is more sideways then justfing what she has done.

Not being the most friendly on social media =/= to calling trans people pedophiles
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Not being the most friendly on social media =/= to calling trans people pedophiles
    He compared them to pedo’s one time 3 years ago on his private site. Gail Simone is not friendly everyday and just published a book with what some would consider the equivalent of “Black Face” as humor.

The scales do the balancing.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 08-14-2018 at 12:34 PM.

He compared them to pedo’s one time 3 years ago on his private site. Gail Simone is not friendly everyday and just published a book with what some would consider the equivalent of “Black Face” as humor.

The scales do the balancing.
    No. Being rude does not equal calling people child molesters at all.

And link me to this blackface situation? I haven't heard of it.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

He compared them to pedo’s one time 3 years ago on his private site.
    Several times, becaue people called him on it a few times and he denied saying anything of the sort before doubling down on it.

BANNED

I think he somehow means Plastic Man #3.

That's interesting that you feel that way considering that we are currently in the age where we are teaching our children that cyber bullying leads to suicide. I can even give you 13 reasons why I disagree. But I won't go there.

The link to the picture has been provided along with it's reasoning in this thread already. This is the definition of blackface here

makeup applied to a performer playing a black person especially in a minstrel show; also : a performer wearing such makeup
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blackface
    So essentially to some the character being portrayed in a satirical fashion as the character was would fit this category by replacing trans with black. Which somes up why people were upset by the depiction.

Are you trying to say the trans people who where offended by it where invalid in their assessment? If so why was it bad enough for the writer in question to give a half heartfelt apology about it?
    Several times, becaue people called him on it a few times and he denied saying anything of the sort before doubling down on it.
    Like I said before. If Marvel is cool with other writers and what they do he should be fine.

Besides if you go onto someone's personal website looking to kick up sand they shouldn't be surprised when they go home to find some sand in their britches.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 08-14-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

James Gunn didn't even say something controversial this year. Those tweets were from ages ago before he worked for The Mouse. Byrne better thread very carefully and do nothing to piss of some alt-right nutter with a blog and an ax to grind.
    I'm aware. I just mentioned him because I think he is a perfect example of someone who only got the boot because it was too much of a bad PR for Disney to keep him.

On a final note.

I'm done with the merry go around of Gail and Bryne. I made my points if whoever wants to let one slide verse the other thats their business.

Another thing to consider is that Gail has been a huge ally to LGBT fans and added many trans & gay characters to comic lore. What happened with Plastic Man #3 seems at worst an error of judgment (I... liked that scene!) and not an purposely offensive move, unlike what Byrne has said about trans people, and I really do not see how Gail is being rude/insulting to fans. Yes, she is vocal but most of the topics I have seen her being vocal about good, positive things.

In the end Byrne can say whatever he like on whatever platform he wants, but I and any other reader can very well decide not to supporting because of his idiotic and offensive views. If people feel the same about other writers twitter then good on them, but like I said, comparing his words to Gail seems rather unasked for.

Would I boycott a new Byrne book? Hmm... honestly depends on what it was. I have come to learn that there are times when you do need to separate the art from the artist... that said, I have also learned that very few writers can create fiction free of their own views or voice.