Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Great news.Hopefully this means new comics illustrated and/or written by John Byrne in the future.
    Unless itīs more of the same as a new retelling of Spider-Man origin as John Byrne did in the 90īs i am quite interested to see new comics by this aclaimed creator of comic books.
    A new x-men by John Byrne would be something cool as well,the new art he did for his x-men fanfic comic book itīs quite good.Reminds me of his best work in the 80īs.
    John Byrne wrote and illustrated many super heroes so far,but considerating the number of Marvel super heroes, there are still many that did not had John Byrne doing the art.

no main continuity. separate world stories only.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I certainly won't be buying anything that might come from this.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'm sure he'll apologize and make amends as a precondition to a return. I'm also sure that any assignment they'd give him wouldn't be anything major.

Bearing that in mind, I was a HUGE John Byrne fan back in the day. One old fart to another, if he's going to pick up a pencil and suffer penance, best to do it writing through the eyes of a Black man. Come on, John, give me a one-shot featuring Adam Brashear -- The Blue Marvel -- in 1960s America for good ol' times sake. And don't forget to bring along your buddy, Uatu.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 08-16-2018 at 07:50 PM.

BANNED

Ηis chemistry with the X-Men is undeniable, they must do anything in their power to keep him the hell away from Spider-Man. The Chapter One mini and his Amazing run were pure carbage.

Decided to check and see if Byrne had anything to say about this on his forums. Comments seem to indicate that if he does do something at Marvel, it will either be elseworlds or something that takes place in the past.

John Byrne: Suddenly I feel like a voice crying in the wilderness. Have I not made it clear that the present state of the Marvel "universe" holds no interest for me?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Decided to check and see if Byrne had anything to say about this on his forums. Comments seem to indicate that if he does do something at Marvel, it will either be elseworlds or something that takes place in the past.
    I was thinking about Byrne and realistically, that is all he could write. He is not up on current continuity and anything he writes is based upon characters as they were in the 60's or 70's. It would have to be Elseworlds, What If, long term items like that.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

It would be cool if he got caught up on a specific character that he likes just so he could write them down the road.

There are several characters that Marvel is keeping a float only because of the movie franchise or future plans for the movie franchise could use a solid writer on them. If Byrne proves he can bring in sales characters like Carol Danvers could benefit from being on board.

Edit: Of course I would really like him to take on Namor or even Black Panther.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 08-18-2018 at 02:50 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    It would be cool if he got caught up on a specific character that he likes just so he could write them down the road.

There are several characters that Marvel is keeping a float only because of the movie franchise or future plans for the movie franchise could use a solid writer on them. If Byrne proves he can bring in sales characters like Carol Danvers could benefit from being on board.

Edit: Of course I would really like him to take on Namor or even Black Panther.
    That...might actually be interesting. Although, I get the feeling that he'd probably do the Kirby version of BP.

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    Purely on his output as a comicbook writer-artist:
    1) John Byrne in his prime is absolutely great.
    2) John Bryne past his prime is painful to read. The last two series he did for Marvel that I have read, X-Men: The Hidden Years and Marvel: The Lost Generation, are mediocre at best.

If he does go back to Marvel, the question is, which Byrne will be showing up?
    Coasting on nostalgia can only go so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Ooff..John Byrne used to be one of my favorite creators but his recent work has been quite poor.

I’m not sure what he’s bringing to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    1) Yeah, Byrne in his prime is untouchable. Any character he touched then, he left an indelible mark on. Some of the best runs ever.
    2) "Mediocre at best" is putting it kindly. Don't forget the Spider-Man work he did in the late '90s. Chapter One is just...godawful.

Anything he might do would surely be some kind of alternate universe thing, in its own pocket continuity.

I will say this - given how atrocious the latter day Frank Miller DC stuff has been, Byrne couldn't possibly do worse coming back to Marvel.

It'll never be like the old days but there might be some glimmer of the old magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Besides another PR disaster in the making, you mean? Even aside from his bigoted commentary, as others have mentioned, Byrne's output over the past decade - from DC to IDW to private commissions - has not been that great. This looks like it'll be, at best, an "X-Men Forever" situation - a few rounds of disposable nostalgia that'll sink out of sight with the next news cycle. At worst, it'll be a garbage fire that won't surprise anyone.
    Politics aside, Byrne's last comics on IDW were a return to form. He'll never reach the heights of his career in the 80s, but he's found his creative spark again.
    Last edited by Diamond; 08-18-2018 at 04:46 AM.

I have no interest in modern day Byrne and most of
    Modern day Marvel⛈
    I will be picking up John Byrne Fantastic Four omnibus vol.1
    In a few weeks ☀️

John Byrne's talents declined after his Wonder Woman run ended. He is well past his prime. On the other hand, most of Marvel's best writers have left the company, so they have nothing to lose by bringing him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    John Byrne's talents declined after his Wonder Woman run ended. He is well past his prime. On the other hand, most of Marvel's best writers have left the company, so they have nothing to lose by bringing him back.
    Almost all of them have left. Just look at Aaron's work on Avengers, it's being kept afloat by Ed Mcguinness. As for art? Byrne is still better than at least seventy-five percent of the artist Marvel has. A lot of folks are in denial about the talent level at Marvel.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Politics aside, Byrne's last comics on IDW were a return to form. He'll never reach the heights of his career in the 80s, but he's found his creative spark again.
    That’s good to hear.

He used to be one if not the very best back in the day.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Have they?

Donny Cates is killing everything he touches.

Same with Slott, Spencer and Ewing.