Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default John Byrne Speaking With Marvel Again

John Byrne's personal project X-Men: Elsewhen caught the attention of C.B Cebulski, and he reached out to Byrne to discuss opportunities for fresh work

https://www.newsarama.com/41335-john...-new-work.html

Byrne? Byrne hasn't had anything interesting to say creatively in nearly thirty years.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

If this leads to his Namor issues getting the Omni treatment I'm on board!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Hope it works out.
    I would love to see some new work by Mr. Byrne.

Great news! Hope they put him on something big and not just something on the periphery.

EDIT: Changed post because the original one was a reply to something removed. I do not want people to get the wrong idea and think I was the first person to bring an argument about personal character into the thread.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 08-13-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don’t like some of the things he’s said either, but he’s still a legend in the world of comic books. And he doesn’t put his politics in his books, so you don’t have to worry about that. Plus, Marvel currently hires some people who say some pretty gross things. One I can think of, is horribly racist, predjudiced, and anti-semitic. Yet, he still can have multiple series and nobody says a word on it.
    What?
    Of bloody course John Byrne puts his politics in his writings. Every writer does that. You thought Lew Wein creating a German X-Men wasn't political?

Didn't you just say Byrne created the first gay superhero?
    He was half of one of the first really politically minded X-Men runs too.

IMHO, Byrne's art, once so dynamic and exciting, has lost a lot of it's punch in the last couple of decades or so, becoming too stiff and done by the numbers. That said, I kind of liked what I've been seeing on Facebook of his pencils in this new personal project, so I'd be quite curious to see some new work by him, especially if he manages to get a good inker (I never liked Byrne inking his own work).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    What?
    Of bloody course John Byrne puts his politics in his writings. Every writer does that. You thought Lew Wein creating a German X-Men wasn't political?

Didn't you just say Byrne created the first gay superhero?
    He was half of one of the first really politically minded X-Men runs too.
    There’s a difference in writing about faux-politics and metaphors that anyone can project their ideology on (1960s-2000s X-Men) and explicit examples for the real world based your own views. And far from every writer puts their politics in their writing. That is only a recent development for people who aren’t very creatively with a few excetions like the Green Arrow/Green Lantern run, which was well-meaning (trying to represent common contrasting political views), but probably a mistake.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Oh Thank GWAD!!!

A writer/artist with some actual talent is coming back on. I hope Marvel throws as many books at him as he can manage!

I would love to have him on Namor, FF, and the Avengers to start! I would buy the hell out of those books and pass them out as if they were condoms in a sex ed class!

SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!e
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 08-13-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

CBR's article on the subject:

https://www.cbr.com/john-byrne-retur...l-Distribution

Though they claim the source as Newsarama, so I doubt there's anything new.

Peace

Never read anything of Byrne's, so I don't really have an opinion on his getting back in the game. If he has said nasty things in the past, I hope he's cleaned up his act now.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    There’s a difference in writing about faux-politics and metaphors that anyone can project their ideology on (1960s-2000s X-Men) and explicit examples for the real world based your own views. And far from every writer puts their politics in their writing. That is only a recent development for people who aren’t very creatively with a few excetions like the Green Arrow/Green Lantern run, which was well-meaning (trying to represent common contrasting political views), but probably a mistake.
    Some of the greatest pieces of fiction ever created were about "explicit examples from the real world" (including the comics genre). It's all in the execution; is the subject in question a well-written piece that explores said topic? It's not a creative bankrupt choice in and of itself, not is it anything new; writers have been doing it for as long as written language existed. (You want truly apolitical fiction? No such thing. All writers bring their own opinions into the work in one way or another).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Maybe Byrne was just being an edgelord and Marvel is bringing him on as the new writer for Guardians Of The Galaxy.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

But I'm a PoC and as most PoC's ,I deal with people who hate me every single day for being me. And I honestly don't care. I can't change them and all I can do is choose to be kind to them while treating them with enough respect every human deserves.

If someone puts out good work they put out good work. I don't have to have a conversation with them, they don't affect my income, and they do not affect my friends and family. Who gives a darn if they hold views I don't agree with. I'm sure I hold opinions they don't agree with either. The world will keep on spinning.

Still looking forward to whatever John brings. Hope he still delivers like he use too.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 08-13-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Very disappointing given his past comments, hope it turns out to be nothing more than a rumor.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

The question is are there enough people who care about his comments to actually make Marvel care?