Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC and Diana

Default DC and Diana

With the movie doing well you think DC comics might stop doing the main problems that they have been doing? For example, they allow a small reboot after reboot when there is a new writer or how they treat her rogue gallery. You think Cheetah will be treated better?

Considering how the comics have treated Doctor Poison after her movie debut?
    Probably not. Warner shows a higher opinion of Wonder Woman in their movies than DC does in their comics.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Probably not. Warner shows a higher opinion of Wonder Woman in their movies than DC does in their comics.
    While the movie did ok with Diana and Steve Trevor. I can't say the same for Amazons who were pretty mediocre.
    Ares was completely wasted and was barely in the movie and got killed of in 5 min.

Also why can't Diana fly? Both Superman and WW could not fly when they were created but that no excuse to nerf only Diana in the movie

Incredible Member

Will DC treat Wonder Woman and her family, allies, foes and mythology with respect following the success of her solo movie?

Well ... it hasn't happened yet, so it seems pretty unlikely. Maybe Diana can start wearing a red and black bikini and carrying a giant hammer instead of her lasso - then she might be taken seriously by DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    That's weird, I feel exactly the opposite is true. Doctor Poison in the Wonder Woman film was a generic cartoon villain, every version I've read from the comics had a lot more depth. Warner hasn't shown the Wonder Woman mythos much respect, hence all the changes that were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Will DC treat Wonder Woman and her family, allies, foes and mythology with respect following the success of her solo movie?

Well ... it hasn't happened yet, so it seems pretty unlikely. Maybe Diana can start wearing a red and black bikini and carrying a giant hammer instead of her lasso - then she might be taken seriously by DC.
    I disagree here too. Since the movie we've gotten a WW comic every two weeks instead of monthly. Rebirth corrected Azzarello for the most part. There was the Darkseid War in Justice League that spread out to WW's book and gave us a few feats. Brave and the Bold starring Diana and Batman has been good. Wonder Woman headlines her own incarnation of the Justice League. There's a major WW centric crossover coming soon. Steve Orlando is currently writing the best Wonder Woman title in years and G. Willow Wilson is on the horizon. It's not all doom and gloom no matter how bad some recent runs have been.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Steve Orlando is currently writing the best Wonder Woman title in years and G. Willow Wilson is on the horizon. It's not all doom and gloom no matter how bad some recent runs have been.
    I agree with these parts. But, it's still far from the kind of capitalisation / exploitation I would have expected given Wonder Woman's newfound and increased popularity (e.g. an animated TV series, although the rebooted DC Super Hero Girls does include Diana as a character).

Her origin is solidified for now. The Amazons are good people but Zeus will be her daddy for the foreseeable future. Neither of those will change. Her Rogues have been given more respect lately, Cheetah in particular. I don’t think you’ll always be happy with what DC does (but that’s the norm even with cash cows like Spidey and Bats) but I do believe DC believes in WW now. We’ll see what Wilson does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I agree with these parts. But, it's still far from the kind of capitalisation / exploitation I would have expected given Wonder Woman's newfound and increased popularity (e.g. an animated TV series, although the rebooted DC Super Hero Girls does include Diana as a character).
    No one is getting an action animated cartoon series any time soon. Even Batman’s last cartoon flopped. For right now the only cartoons getting green lit are comedies, because the kids that used to watch action cartoons now just play video games, or so the powers that be believe. We’re getting an animated movie though, and I consider that progress.
    Last edited by RepHope; 08-14-2018 at 01:05 AM.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Her origin is solidified for now. The Amazons are good people but Zeus will be her daddy for the foreseeable future. Neither of those will change. Her Rogues have been given more respect lately, Cheetah in particular. I don’t think you’ll always be happy with what DC does (but that’s the norm even with cash cows like Spidey and Bats) but I do believe DC believes in WW now. We’ll see what Wilson does.

No one is getting an action animated cartoon series any time soon. Even Batman’s last cartoon flopped. For right now the only cartoons getting green lit are comedies, because the kids that used to watch action cartoons now just play video games, or so the powers that be believe. We’re getting an animated movie though, and I consider that progress.
    I disagree here too. Since the movie, we've gotten a WW comic every two weeks instead of monthly. Rebirth corrected Azzarello for the most part. There was the Darkseid War in Justice League that spread out to WW's book and gave us a few feats. Brave and the Bold starring Diana and Batman have been good. Wonder Woman headlines her own incarnation of the Justice League. There's a major WW centric crossover coming soon. Steve Orlando is currently writing the best Wonder Woman title in years and G. Willow Wilson is on the horizon. It's not all doom and gloom no matter how bad some recent runs have been.

Except both Superman and Batman franchise have multiple TV shows on the air or in development like Supergirl, Batwoman, Krypton, Gotham and multiple movies in development.
    Not to mention Rocksteady is rumoured to making a Superman game

WW2017 was one of the biggest hit for DC in America yet DC has failed to capitalise on her success by making an animated TV or even a regular TV show. Her movie had the highest no of female audience for a Superhero movie, and DC gain have failed to create a animated Tv show aimed at them.Her comics with Batman will not count as it has Batgod in it whose comics sell 3 times more than WW. DC also did not give WW her own Giant Walmart comic book unlike Superman or Batman instead bundled her story in Justice League comics.The upcoming WW event is nothing compared to Flashpoint , Blackest night, Infinite crisis, Dark Knight metal.
    They have announced a WW movie except by the tittle it is 99% clear it is New 52 Rapist Amazon story.
    WW fans are happy with Scraps DC throw at them.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 08-14-2018 at 02:01 AM.

The main capitalisation of successful movies lie in the merchandising stuff, and it's arguably there that Wonder Woman's greatest value for DC has been for a long time.

As for tv stuff, there appears to be a WB policy that makes it tricky, and Wonder Woman is arguably the lead character of Super Hero Girls.

Now, for finding new comic book readers the Wonder Woman title was likely already scheduled for Morrison's run, but the floppies are arguably not where you find new readers for comics in the US today. The trades are probably more important, and here I have no idea on how the situation is, both with availability of titles and how suited they are to introduce new readers to Wonder Woman.

Geraldofrivia is quite correct about the lack of a Wonder Woman title with the Walmart deal, but it ties into other editorial decisions there that I believe make it tricky to really reach new readers. But I wonder where you get the idea that WW84 "is 99% clear it is New 52 Rapist Amazon story"?

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The main capitalisation of successful movies lie in the merchandising stuff, and it's arguably there that Wonder Woman's greatest value for DC has been for a long time.

As for tv stuff, there appears to be a WB policy that makes it tricky, and Wonder Woman is arguably the lead character of Super Hero Girls.

Now, for finding new comic book readers the Wonder Woman title was likely already scheduled for Morrison's run, but the floppies are arguably not where you find new readers for comics in the US today. The trades are probably more important, and here I have no idea on how the situation is, both with availability of titles and how suited they are to introduce new readers to Wonder Woman.

Geraldofrivia is quite correct about the lack of a Wonder Woman title with the Walmart deal, but it ties into other editorial decisions there that I believe make it tricky to really reach new readers. But I wonder where you get the idea that WW84 "is 99% clear it is New 52 Rapist Amazon story"?
    I think they're talking about the animated WW film Bloodlines, I knew I was forgetting something lol. And yeah, with that name it's almost sure to be New 52 related, which is a bummer

I think they're talking about the animated WW film Bloodlines, I knew I was forgetting something lol. And yeah, with that name it's almost sure to be New 52 related, which is a bummer
    Ah. That makes more sense, though I wonder if DC are able to shoot themselves in the foot to that degree, given that (a) New 52 Wonder Woman was extremely divisive, (b) its storyline is quite gory (i.e. not that kid-friendly), (c) Azzarello's plot would need rather big adjustments in any case, if only due to length.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Ah. That makes more sense, though I wonder if DC are able to shoot themselves in the foot to that degree, given that (a) New 52 Wonder Woman was extremely divisive, (b) its storyline is quite gory (i.e. not that kid-friendly), (c) Azzarello's plot would need rather big adjustments in any case, if only due to length.
    I think sadly it is the case. The movies have all been quite gory lately and I think that's a selling point for the DC animated movies. Plus, they've been using the New 52 Wonder Woman in pretty much all their movies.

I think the real question is whether it’s all just more lip service?

I do think DC has been caught a little off guard by Wonder Woman’s newfound success. Obviously they were hoping the movie would do well, but I don’t think they were expecting Diana to emerge as the MVP of the DCEU.
    So it feels like we’ve been getting this swinging pendulum when it comes to how they’ve been treating her since her movie came out.

On one hand, we had Rebirth, a significant role in Darkseid War, and a new writer down the pike.
    On the other hand, we just got through a run that completely bungled Grail and was more concerned with shoving Diana’s useless twin brother down our throats.
    And of course, we still must contend with sporadic WTF moments like Diana getting accidently shot in the throat in Justice League or her trying to sleep with Batman despite his engagement to Catwoman.

She’s the centerpiece of a crossover with Justice League Dark. (Yay!)
    But it’s hardly an “event” crossover and judging from the solicitations, she’s going to spend at least half of it possessed by the villain. (Boo.)

We saw Gal Gadot’s presence in the marketing of Justice League increase, they were quick to get WW1984 in production, and seem to have faith in Patty Jenkins. And we have another animated movie down the line. (Yay!)
    But Justice League was a disaster that stomped all over Diana, and rubbing salt on the wound, we just got yet another iteration of Death of Superman which is also tailored to enforce the Pecking Order. (Boo!)

Those might not seem like big deals in the grand scheme of things, and I don't want to derail this thread into another argument on the subject, but it says something that at a time when Wonder Woman has arguably never been more popular, they release two high-profile projects that go out of their own way to firmly establish she's dirt compared to another character.
    It's a little tone-deaf if nothing else.

So what does one make of this past year?
    I guess we can call it a start. But if this is as good as it’s going to get or the best they can offer...I’m not impressed. It’s more of the same--just louder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I think sadly it is the case. The movies have all been quite gory lately and I think that's a selling point for the DC animated movies. Plus, they've been using the New 52 Wonder Woman in pretty much all their movies.
    Nah, the only New 52 thing that was in Wonder Woman the movie was arguably the daddy-Zeus stuff, and it was much downplayed there. Personality-wise movie Diana was much more empathic, passionate, and caring about others.