Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC and Diana

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Nah, the only New 52 thing that was in Wonder Woman the movie was arguably the daddy-Zeus stuff, and it was much downplayed there. Personality-wise movie Diana was much more empathic, passionate, and caring about others.
    Animated movies, not DCEU.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I think the real question is whether it’s all just more lip service?

I do think DC has been caught a little off guard by Wonder Woman’s newfound success. Obviously they were hoping the movie would do well, but I don’t think they were expecting Diana to emerge as the MVP of the DCEU.
    So it feels like we’ve been getting this swinging pendulum when it comes to how they’ve been treating her since her movie came out.

On one hand, we had Rebirth, a significant role in Darkseid War, and a new writer down the pike.
    On the other hand, we just got through a run that completely bungled Grail and was more concerned with shoving Diana’s useless twin brother down our throats.
    And of course, we still must contend with sporadic WTF moments like Diana getting accidently shot in the throat in Justice League or her trying to sleep with Batman despite his engagement to Catwoman.

She’s the centerpiece of a crossover with Justice League Dark. (Yay!)
    But it’s hardly an “event” crossover and judging from the solicitations, she’s going to spend at least half of it possessed by the villain. (Boo.)

We saw Gal Gadot’s presence in the marketing of Justice League increase, they were quick to get WW1984 in production, and seem to have faith in Patty Jenkins. And we have another animated movie down the line. (Yay!)
    But Justice League was a disaster that stomped all over Diana, and rubbing salt on the wound, we just got yet another iteration of Death of Superman which is also tailored to enforce the Pecking Order. (Boo!)

Those might not seem like big deals in the grand scheme of things, and I don't want to derail this thread into another argument on the subject, but it says something that at a time when Wonder Woman has arguably never been more popular, they release two high-profile projects that go out of their own way to firmly establish she's dirt compared to another character.
    It's a little tone-deaf if nothing else.

So what does one make of this past year?
    I guess we can call it a start. But if this is as good as it’s going to get or the best they can offer...I’m not impressed. It’s more of the same--just louder.
    True, It is a cruel Joke when you look at Aquaman trailer and realise that it has bigger budget than Wonder woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Animated movies, not DCEU.
    Ah, got you. That said, the animated movies mostly seem to have come out during the New 52 era. On the third hand, they're more in the Justice League mold, so Wonder Woman is shielded from the worst New 52 excesses.

They have been doing the new 52 universe in the animated movies too long. I mean they generally have been on to the next era. If they keep being so behind it will ruined a few thighs. Why wait now to make a connected animated movie when it’s now outdated. So far all of the movies are new 52 and I hope it stops. They kept saying no more new 52 animated movies

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    While the movie did ok with Diana and Steve Trevor. I can't say the same for Amazons who were pretty mediocre.
    Ares was completely wasted and was barely in the movie and got killed of in 5 min.
    Interestingly the strength of the Amazons and their portrayal seemed to be a big draw card for female audiences, so opinions on that differ.

I agree Ares did get a bit short changed, but since the whole point of the plot was misdirection on his identity having him revealed earlier would have voided the point.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Interestingly the strength of the Amazons and their portrayal seemed to be a big draw card for female audiences, so opinions on that differ.

I agree Ares did get a bit short changed, but since the whole point of the plot was misdirection on his identity having him revealed earlier would have voided the point.
    Except Ares being in the movie completely against theme that no single person is responsible for war. When Diana kills Ares, the Germans stop fighting proving Ares was responsible for War.
    How did Humanity create Nukes and other weapons when in the movie Ares is responsible for giving human the knowledge how to make Weapons.

The Amazons are pretty much normal woman using bows and Arrows stuck in 300BC. They seems to have no magical and technological powers. I find them mediocre compared to Atlantis, Kryptonians or even Wakandans or Asgardians in MCU.

Except Ares being in the movie completely against theme that no single person is responsible for war. When Diana kills Ares, the Germans stop fighting proving Ares was responsible for War.
    How did Humanity create Nukes and other weapons when in the movie Ares is responsible for giving human the knowledge how to make Weapons.
    While you point out a weakness in the movie's storytelling, it does make some attempts to show a more nuanced picture. Ares does point out that humanity starts these wars on their own, he only helps them to make them more destructive and arguably to perpetuate them. I.e. Ares is more cheerleader than active instigator.

As for the ending, the people at the base had just experienced a huge psychological shock in two gods fighting each other, and then a force egging them on was suddenly removed. I can easily see them deciding to just go "I survived!" at that point. Also remember that the German high command was ready to enter peace talks earlier in the movie, until Ludendorff and Doctor Poison intervened.

The Amazons are pretty much normal woman using bows and Arrows stuck in 300BC. They seems to have no magical and technological powers. I find them mediocre compared to Atlantis, Kryptonians or even Wakandans or Asgardians in MCU.
    You are looking at them from one angle, but the women inspired by them likely look at them from another angle. The Amazons in the movie are presented as superhumanly physically capable, and having built their own healthy and functional society well-suited to their demands. That's more than enough to be a powerful inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    While you point out a weakness in the movie's storytelling, it does make some attempts to show a more nuanced picture. Ares does point out that humanity starts these wars on their own, he only helps them to make them more destructive and arguably to perpetuate them. I.e. Ares is more cheerleader than active instigator.

As for the ending, the people at the base had just experienced a huge psychological shock in two gods fighting each other, and then a force egging them on was suddenly removed. I can easily see them deciding to just go "I survived!" at that point. Also remember that the German high command was ready to enter peace talks earlier in the movie, until Ludendorff and Doctor Poison intervened.

You are looking at them from one angle, but the women inspired by them likely look at them from another angle. The Amazons in the movie are presented as superhumanly physically capable, and having built their own healthy and functional society well-suited to their demands. That's more than enough to be a powerful inspiration.
    Also Diana was created to stop a Cheerleader who killed entire Greek Gods! And Diana killing Ares don't really matter, humanity still go to war. Diana killing Ares was for nothing, Unlike Superman or everything superhero who actually saves humanity.

In WW comics Amazons have powerful magic which allow them to imprison Gods, create invisible Jet, bring back Dead people, also pegasus and other mythological creatures. Ordinary Arrows and Swords will not help them protect whatever they are protecting on the Island

Also Diana was created to stop a Cheerleader who killed entire Greek Gods! And Diana killing Ares don't really matter, humanity still go to war. Diana killing Ares was for nothing, Unlike Superman or everything superhero who actually saves humanity.

In WW comics Amazons have powerful magic which allow them to imprison Gods, create invisible Jet, bring back Dead people, also pegasus and other mythological creatures. Ordinary Arrows and Swords will not help them protect whatever they are protecting on the Island
    If Diana is a failure so is every superhero in existence. Superman is constantly dealing with alien invaders and would-be despots and BvS even pointed out what a failure Batman is after 20 years of Gotham being a crime-riddled hellhole. It's even a plot point in Winter Soldier that after everything Steve Rogers did to bring down Hydra they still came back. Diana isn't the only superhero who saved humanity only to keep having to deal with new problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If Diana is a failure so is every superhero in existence. Superman is constantly dealing with alien invaders and would-be despots and BvS even pointed out what a failure Batman is after 20 years of Gotham being a crime-riddled hellhole. It's even a plot point in Winter Soldier that after everything Steve Rogers did to bring down Hydra they still came back. Diana isn't the only superhero who saved humanity only to keep having to deal with new problems.
    All I want is DC to treat Diana's villain with the respect they give Superman, Flash, Batman villains.
    He comes in the movie for barely 5 min, transforms into a cartoonish CGI character and gets killed. This is Diana's Archvillain, the reason she and Amazon were created and Dina kills him in 5 min with the power of Love.
    If the movie was set in WW2 Diana defeating Ares would have mattered since Humanity enters into an age of peace and prosperity unlike WW1 were humanity enters into a bigger bloodiest War in history aka WW2.
    Ares represents this destructive, hatred and evil of Mankind while Diana represents the love, peace, Justice and compassion.

What you say is true, heroes always have a never-ending battle, Batman(order) has a never-ending battle with Joker(chaos) or Superman(Selflessness) and Lex Luther(Greed).
    Both of these characters are alive in DCU to churn out sequels while Ares is not. He is killed off like a power rangers villain not to mention he was already weak because of his fight with Zeus to further make Diana killing him more insignificant.

God knows what they are going to do with Cheetah!

Well, his costume was supposed to be very different. And it was supposed to be a misdirected so that's the amazons why he was barely in the movie. It's not like this is the first movie to do that. Look at Wreak Ralph the main villains was mentioned but that came back in the few minutes One thing I hope is we get more animated movies of Diana's best arcs. I mean wouldn't the Circle be a great arc to animated?

BANNED

... Dina kills him in 5 min with the power of Love...
    "Dina" kills him with the power of a bazillion amperes of divine lightning.

All I want is DC to treat Diana's villain with the respect they give Superman, Flash, Batman villains.
    He comes in the movie for barely 5 min, transforms into a cartoonish CGI character and gets killed. This is Diana's Archvillain, the reason she and Amazon were created and Dina kills him in 5 min with the power of Love.
    If the movie was set in WW2 Diana defeating Ares would have mattered since Humanity enters into an age of peace and prosperity unlike WW1 were humanity enters into a bigger bloodiest War in history aka WW2.
    Ares represents this destructive, hatred and evil of Mankind while Diana represents the love, peace, Justice and compassion.

What you say is true, heroes always have a never-ending battle, Batman(order) has a never-ending battle with Joker(chaos) or Superman(Selflessness) and Lex Luther(Greed).
    Both of these characters are alive in DCU to churn out sequels while Ares is not. He is killed off like a power rangers villain not to mention he was already weak because of his fight with Zeus to further make Diana killing him more insignificant.

If it's any consolation I WISH Leto's Joker and Eisenberg's Luthor were both dead since they are the worst incarnations of the characters ever put on screen. Ares got off relatively easy in comparison, and Cheetah/Circe are cooler villains than he ever was.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

The fighting ceased because with Ares', Maru's and Ludendorff's defeat, and thanks to Steve's sacrifice, the Allies and Central Powers went through with the Armistice. Ares didn't cause the War, he just gave them a little helping hand
    Last edited by VonHammersmark; 08-17-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Ares isn't the only villain Diana has. And frankly, her killing Ares and him staying dead (unless the filmmakers get stupid and bring him back) means she's more successful than most comic book heroes.