All-New Member

Default Great Alternative Spider-Man Stories

Hey everyone! I'm a huge Spider-Man fan. I've read a good handful of 616 Spidey and all of Ultimate Spidey. I'm familiar with most of the alternate Spider-Men (Spider-Mans?), and there are a bunch that seem cool, like Mayday Parker, 2099, and Spider-Ham, but I haven't read many stories about them except for the occasional crossover event.

Any great recommended series' or arcs about alternate Spideys? Thanks!

I would definitely recommend Spider-Gwen, that was one of my favourite books with amazing art, incredibly creative ideas, and really engaging all the way through. It deals with alot of interesting themes about identity and self-purpose, and Gwen herself is just a wonderful character. The run just concluded last month and it is getting a relaunch with a new writer in October so it's the perfect time to check it all out!

Another recent series that is about to conclude I think is worth it is Renew Your Vows, while the stories themselves aren't perfect, the family dynamic between Peter, MJ, and Annie and all their interactions are top notch and definitely worth it.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I would definitely recommend Spider-Gwen, that was one of my favourite books with amazing art, incredibly creative ideas, and really engaging all the way through. It deals with alot of interesting themes about identity and self-purpose, and Gwen herself is just a wonderful character. The run just concluded last month and it is getting a relaunch with a new writer in October so it's the perfect time to check it all out!

Another recent series that is about to conclude I think is worth it is Renew Your Vows, while the stories themselves aren't perfect, the family dynamic between Peter, MJ, and Annie and all their interactions are top notch and definitely worth it.
    Thanks! The only thing I've read about Spider-Gwen was her origin during Spider-Verse, and I remember really liking it. I will definitely check that series out!

I read the "Renew Your Vows" series during "Secret Wars" and loved it! Somehow I had no idea it continued after that until now haha. How did I miss this???

Thanks Inversed! I can't wait to read those two series.

BANNED

If you feel like reading fresh Spidey material every day, check out the daily newspaper strip over on comicskingdom. The pacing of the stories are a little slow, but much like trades, they read better when collected. Peter and MJ are still married in the strip universe too

http://comicskingdom.com/amazing-spider-man

Incredible Member

I adore the original Spider-Man 2099 run by Peter David/Rick Leonardi. I'm quite surprised it hasn't received an omnibus yet.

RYV is an excellent read, doing new things while still keeping true to the core of the mythos. Spidey was a short-lived but fun series featuring little standalone stories about a teen Spider-Man. Marvel Adventures did something similar a while back, too. The Real Clone Saga was an interesting miniseries that re-told the infamous story using the original outline as the basis.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Chris Yost and Ryan Stegman's Scarlet Spider run was really good, a take on someone with Spider-Man's abilities with a different attitude and environment.

Superior Spider-Man was an extended arc on the regular title where Doctor Octopus took over Spider-Man's body, and was an interesting alternative Spider-Man. It had a follow-up story in Spider Verse, which featured crossovers with different Spider-Men. These are stories with the 616 Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Technically not a Spider-Man, but close enough - I'd recommend Remender's run on Venom Vol. 2, where Flash Thompson gets the symbiote. Robbie Thompson's run on Venom: Spaceknight is pretty great as well.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Don't know if this counts, since it's a part of DC/Amalgam but I really had a lot of fun reading Spider-Boy. There were two issues: Spider-Boy (1996) and Spider-Boy Team-Up (1997).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 09-01-2018 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

Astonishing Member

Superior Spider-Man.
    Spider-Gwen.
    Renew Your Vows, more the original volume.
    Scarlet Spider-Man by Christopher Yost.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Don't know if this counts, since it's a part of DC/Amalgam but I really had a lot of fun reading Spider-Boy. There were two issues: Spider-Boy (1996) and Spider-Boy Team-Up (1997).
    Yeah, those were fun.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Renew Your Vows, more the original volume.
    Conway's portion of RYV is really good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Conway's portion of RYV is really good.
    It is but the original is the must read.

Adding to the list here I recommend 'Spidey'.
    When it first came out people were wondering if it was a recon past happening (as since real time and comics 616 time is different and 616 Peter now in his thirties he and many in his cast wouldn't have grown up in the 60's anymore) but in the end it was a alternative world. I very much enjoy it and enjoy seeing the different art styles and fashions the many different series artists did with the same writer. Enjoyable characters.