Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batgirl #25 Preview

Spectacular Member

I wonder if we will ever find out what happened editorially to delay this book for three weeks.
    Dan Panosian posted a couple of gorgeous pages on Twitter that he said ‘didn’t make the cut’.

Just the headline of that article (BATGIRL Writer Mairghread Scott Talks a Darker Barbara Gordon) is really making me worry about what we'll wind up getting in the long run. And also, quotes like this aren't too reassuring:
    “DC wanted something with a darker tone, something that put her in line with the other Bat-books, especially as they wanted her to come back to Gotham,” Scott said.
    Batgirl was the ONLY Bat-book I bought just because it avoided the DarkGrim/misery-and-gloom crap that suffocated many of the other titles. I can deal with Barbara in slightly more serious stories, but if they go too far with this I'll be dropping my last regular DC title.
    (Then again, DC doesn't seem to give a $#!t about readers like me these days anyway.)

That cover is kind of creepy. The preview itself has a New 52 vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just the headline of that article (BATGIRL Writer Mairghread Scott Talks a Darker Barbara Gordon) is really making me worry about what we'll wind up getting in the long run. And also, quotes like this aren't too reassuring:

Batgirl was the ONLY Bat-book I bought just because it avoided the DarkGrim/misery-and-gloom crap that suffocated many of the other titles. I can deal with Barbara in slightly more serious stories, but if they go too far with this I'll be dropping my last regular DC title.
    (Then again, DC doesn't seem to give a $#!t about readers like me these days anyway.)
    Agreed on the dark grim stuff. I loved how Batgirl was the lightest Bat book. I hate that it is going to what it was back in the New 52.

Scott seems to have a good feel for Barbara Gordon's personality, though I'm quite surprised Scott and DC decided to delve into splatter horror. Doesn't seem like it fits the Batgirl brand at all, and it's quite the shift from the style of stories she's been in earlier.

Is it just me, or are these sudden tonal shifts much more common with DC's female characters? Wonder Woman seems to experience them with almost every new writer.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Is it just me, or are these sudden tonal shifts much more common with DC's female characters? Wonder Woman seems to experience them with almost every new writer.
    I'm not sure. But then again, does DC let many of their male characters move much beyond the darker tones?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm not sure. But then again, does DC let many of their male characters move much beyond the darker tones?
    Depends; I'm not really well-read enough to give a good answer. But one factor is that with characters like Batman and Superman that are present in several titles, it's easier to give each title its own feel. And this goes beyond simple labels like "dark" and "fun".

Perhaps worth its own thread to explore.

double post
    Last edited by kjn; 08-14-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Only read the preview. Good start. The Burnside costume kinda clashes with the gore because it's a different tone, but I like the tone more than the costume, and the costume's gonna go soon.

Now the interview

“I didn’t expect to see so much of my mom in Babs. I always thought of her being a smart and influential character, especially when I found out about the implant in her brain,” Scott explained. “That just got me thinking about my mom because she was a woman who made her living off her mind—very smart, very organized, and always has a plan for the worst case scenario. I started seeing these same patterns in Babs. She’s someone who always has a plan A, B, and C.”

Good. Good.

“In a weird way, to me, she has more balance than Bruce, like the fact that Babs wants to have a life and still be a superhero,” Scott told me. “She doesn’t change much between Babs Gordon and Batgirl. She doesn’t have to change herself or act in a different way. Babs is just always Babs, and that kind of honesty I just really like. It feels weirdly in a lot of ways that Gotham is a city of closed fists, and it seems really radical that Babs is always approaching people with an open hand.”

Nice. Nice.

“More and more my writing verges towards horror, and DC said, ‘Push it!’ so I was like, ‘Okay,'” Scott laughed. “In the annual, I feel like we got really dark. It’s a weird thing to talk about because you don’t want to be like, ‘Oh, it felt really natural to write these terrible people.’ It’s tiring to be in a sicko’s mind for a really long time, but luckily Babs is there.”

So she'll be the light in the darkness.

“I’m just so excited for people to get the flavor of this Babs because I want her to feel like the Batgirl we’ve been seeing for the last couple of years, but under the most pressure I could possibly put her under,” Scott said. “We’ll see what starts to crack and what doesn’t, and see her try and hold onto that hope. We really get to explore that in the annual and the first arc. You know Gordons don’t give up and Babs won’t give up!”

Looks good so far.

BANNED

Considering all the other Bat-Books are largely unreadable misery, guess I won't be looking at this

Then again, the Burnside bollocks was also pretty unredable.

BANNED

Well, I ended up looking at it on recommendation, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Dick/Babs fans are in for a treat.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Well, I ended up looking at it on recommendation, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Dick/Babs fans are in for a treat.
    Yep, really enjoyed that scene. Wonder if this actually leads to anything long term.

Really find the concept of Grotesque fascinating and how his themes clash with a post-TKJ Babs' belief system.

DC should give Dick/Babs a rest already. Or give Dick/Kori a rest already. Just pick one and stick with it.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quite enjoyed this story. Love the interweaving of the fallout from the wedding, and I'm very curious how this arc will turn out - if it will be a new, popular, interesting direction, or just a fill-in. Batgirl despeartely needs new blood and new readers, as it's really suffering in terms of numbers.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord