Amazing Member

Default In which order should I start reading Batman please?

Hi guys. The Batman year one Is sold out in my country, how should I start reading, in what chronologicky order? Could You aswell recommend some nice Deluxe edition or omnibus? Thank you

Incredible Member

Start with a book that holds a reprint of Detective Comics #27 - onwards, whether may be Batman Archives Volume 1, The Batman Chronicles Volume 1, or Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Volume 1.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

You can get it on DC's digital comic store or import it from Amazon or book depository

The easiest entry point is the original 40s
    Batman: The Golden Age Vol. 1-4

The modern classic origin continued to be updated until the 2000s so there are different versions of it that I'm not really clear which is in continuity, but this is the version I read based on others recommendation.
    Batman Year One
    The Man Who Laughs
    The Long Halloween
    Dark Victory

The New 52 began where the previous one left off in 2011 but the history is changed, so the feeling is "this character feels familiar but they have a different history, different experience and what I've read before may still happened but didn't happen the same way, or didn't happen at all"
    Batman Vol. 1 The Court of Owls
    Batman Vol. 2 The City of Owls
    Batman Vol. 3 Death of The Family
    Batman Vol. 4 Zero Year Secret City
    Batman Vol. 5 Zero Year Dark City

Now we're on Rebirth where the premise is previous continuity did happen, but the characters didn't know it because someone is messing with the timeline. They pretty much leave each writer alone to write their own interpretation of the character, so character history doesn't matter that much if your goal is to follow the current story. You can start reading and go along with whatever they tell you in the flashbacks.
    Batman Rebirth Vol. 1 I am Gotham
    Detective Comics Rebirth Vol. 1 Rise of The Batmen
    Night of the Monster Men

There is this collection of stories throughout the character history that act as a sampler of how the characters been depicted throughout the years. So it's less about continuity and more of an introduction to the characters.
    Batman A Celebration of 75 Years
    Robin A Celebration of 75 Years
    Joker A Celebration of 75 Years
    Catwoman A Celebration of 75 Years
    Two-Face A Celebration of 75 Years
    Batgirl A Celebration of 50 Years
    Harley Quinn A Celebration of 25 Years
    Batman Arkham Hugo Strange
    Batman Arkham Scarecrow
    Batman Arkham Clayface
    Batman Arkham The Riddler
    Batman Arkham Mr. Freeze
    Batman Arkham Man-Bat
    Batman Arkham Joker's Daughter
    Batman Arkham Killer Croc
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-14-2018 at 12:19 AM.

I wouldn't worry about what order you read Batman in, just read the best stories.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

If you're looking at getting into current Batman, then start with New 52 Batman. That'll be good enough.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

If you want a reading order start with Year One. Lots of the best stories are from Year One (1986) to the start of the New52 (2011).
    Don't start with New52 or Rebirth you might get disapointed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMatt View Post
    Hi guys. The Batman year one Is sold out in my country, how should I start reading, in what chronologicky order? Could You aswell recommend some nice Deluxe edition or omnibus? Thank you
    I wouls start with the Adams, Oneil stories since they pretty much mark the modern Batman run