Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Songs that remind you of Superman

I saw a Batman thread like this, so I decided to start a Superman one since associating songs with Superman is a really common occurrence in my mind, since sometimes I just think about Superman too much! Some of these associations are weird or even nearly inexplicable since I just like associating Superman with random things.

Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon - I think of it as being about the Clark Kent and Superman love triangle with Lois Lane, due to the fact that it switches from "he is everything you want" to "I am everything you want" at the end. Most of the rest of the lyrics don't actually make sense with this, granted...

Misunderstanding by Genesis - The vibe of this song just really matches a "Clark Kent pining over Lois" mood to me.

Come Out and Play by The Offspring - OK, this is a weird one. I think of the line "You gotta keep 'em separated" as referring to keeping his civilian and superhero lives separated. Specifically, in the early post-Crisis era when Clark was dating Cat Grant, I remember one occasion when he tried to interfere with Cat's custody issues with her son and it was kind of a mess, and I felt like it was a possibly questionable decision to use his Superman identity to meddle with a situation with his girlfriend. The rest of the lyrics are about youth gang violence, which also fits because in the era there were stories about that same topic. So, yeah.

Kryptonite by Three Doors Down - Err, no surprise here, lol. But to make this more interesting, I'll say that I specifically imagine this to be about Superman/Clark's relationship with Lois Lane, and how in certain a sense she's his real greatest weakness. A lot of the specific lyrics seem to fit this well.

Cool Kids by Echosmith - I imagine Clark singing this about trying to fit in society when he's such a different kind of being, or something like that.

Come As You Are by Nirvana - I misheard "old memoria" as "no memory" and associated with an episode of the Adventures of Superman where there was a drug that made people lose their memory, and the lines about not having a gun with an episode where Clark Kent held his finger against a man's back pretending it was a gun...yeah...wow I really reach to associate songs with Superman.

Complicated by Avril Lavigne - Lois Lane talking to Superman about his secret identity making their romance more complicated than it need be.

Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode - Apparently this song is about a great friend can be like a "personal Jesus" to you, and I think Clark could be that kind of person.

Policy of Truth by Depeche Mode - If Superman were to tell everyone his secret identity, that would certainly cause a lot of problems, wouldn't it?

Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode - I don't really think I have a reason why, but I imagine Superman singing this to Lois Lane.

People are People by Depeche Mode (man, when am I going to give this band a break as far as associating them with Superman goes?) - I imagined it being about the idea of Batman and Superman being nemeses rather than friends, especially since the friend interpretation makes a lot more sense in many ways.

Steady As She Goes by The Raconteurs - Uhhhhh...it's hard to say. Maybe it's because certain parts of the lyrics are about settling down and stuff like that but some parts of the song are intense-sounding, which sort of captures the duality of Superman to me?

Dangerous by Big Data - I imagine this being about Superman being hunted down by the government.

Beat It by Michael Jackson - I imagined this song with a fun double meaning - Clark Kent "beats it" when trouble comes his way, and then appears as Superman, causing the criminals to "beat it"! However, me associating this song with Supes is not really something I do anymore, since I'm a big fan of Michael Jackson and thus mostly associate his songs with himself, if that makes sense.

Radioactive by Imagine Dragons - Associated it with the Adventures of Superman episode "Superman in Exile" where Superman becomes radioactive. Silly...

Head Over Feet by Alanis Morissette - Sounds a LOT like Lois' relationship with Clark to me! (Finally one that makes a bit of sense.)

There are probably even more to be honest, but that's a good enough start...hopefully other people will have answers that are less of an extreme stretch than most of mine are...

Astonishing Member

Whenever I hear the song, I picture Kate Bosworth singing "I Will Survive" as Lois in Superman Returns

And Genesis' Land of Confusion has the obvious Superman reference in both the song and hilariously in the old video. But since it came out shortly after Crisis, I kept rewording it to be even more Superman specific:
    "Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow
    The Man of Steel had you depowered
    And you're losing backstory by the hour

Too many men, too many writers telling too many stories
    And not enough editors to go round
    You wonder why this is a land of confusion"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Very cool.

I guess this is sort of abstract sentiment based on sights to sound, but:

"Crocodile Rock" by Elton John - this reminds me of pre-crisis. The intro makes me think of digging out my oldest back issues, going back into a sweeter time. The crocodile rock itself is like the whimsy, I think of the old covers like eating a million drive-in burgers and shaking the world with laughter, tangling with Captain Strong as he swims through the air, the great super-hero contest, Earth 2 Superman losing his powers and Lois working him out get him back up to par. I also think of things like Reeves going on the Lucy show. Magic of the monkey-suit.

"Speed Demon" by Michael Jackson - this reminds me of the post Byrne era. How everything sort of took off and exploded in a massive amount of issues, with characters and concepts like Cadmus. Specifically the race away from and back to Earth and the escalating street war with Intergang.

When I see that image of Superman sitting in mourning from Whatever Happened, it unleashes all of Pink Floyd for me, haha.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

It's unbelievable how much I have actually thought about this. Spoiler alert: Old Guy with Old Guy Music!

1. Superman: "Rhapsody in Blue" by George Gershwin, soaring, classical music and Jazz melded together, old world and new world all in one.
    2. Legion of Superheroes: The Flaming Lips, "A Spoonful Weighs a Ton".
    3. Braniac: "Welcome to the Machine" by Pink Floyd or "Blue Monday" by New Order
    4. Lobo: The MC5 "Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa"
    5. Terra Man: The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly Theme by Ennio Morricone
    6. Lex Luthor: "The Big Payback" by James Brown,
    7. Bizarro: "There Coming to Take Me Away" by Napolieon the IVX
    8. Mr. Mxyzptlk: "The Magical Mystery Tour" by the Beatles
    9. Superman in Space/Time Travel: "Starman"by David Bowie, The 2001 Soundtrack from the Kubrick movie, "Sparks" by the Who
    10. Lois Lane: "Here Comes My Girl" or "American Girl" by Tom Petty, "This Tornado Loves You" by Neko Case

(Batman sounds really hard for me but "Cucurrucucu Paloma" by Caetano Veloso)
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 08-14-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Very cool.

I guess this is sort of abstract sentiment based on sights to sound, but:

"Crocodile Rock" by Elton John - this reminds me of pre-crisis. The intro makes me think of digging out my oldest back issues, going back into a sweeter time. The crocodile rock itself is like the whimsy, I think of the old covers like eating a million drive-in burgers and shaking the world with laughter, tangling with Captain Strong as he swims through the air, the great super-hero contest, Earth 2 Superman losing his powers and Lois working him out get him back up to par. I also think of things like Reeves going on the Lucy show. Magic of the monkey-suit.

"Speed Demon" by Michael Jackson - this reminds me of the post Byrne era. How everything sort of took off and exploded in a massive amount of issues, with characters and concepts like Cadmus. Specifically the race away from and back to Earth and the escalating street war with Intergang.

When I see that image of Superman sitting in mourning from Whatever Happened, it unleashes all of Pink Floyd for me, haha.
    Funny enough, Dark Side of the Moon as a whole really goes well with" Whatever happened..." particularly side one.

Whenever I hear SUPERMAN by Five For Fighting, for some reason i think of Superman circa Identity Crisis/infinite crisis.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 08-14-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Retired

Other than the hundreds of songs that use Superman or Superman signatures (like "Up, Up and Away") in their titles and lyrics? Never gave it much thought. These would, in theory, go on my listening list . . .

"Stardust" by Hoagy Carmichael
    "High Hopes" by Frank Sinatra and Eddie Hodges
    "You Don't Know Me" by Eddy Arnold
    "L'Important C'Est La Rose" by Gilbert Bécaud
    "Fly Little White Dove" by the Bells
    "Monkberry Moon Delight" by Paul and Linda McCartney
    "Stand Tall" by Burton Cummings
    "So Lang' Man Träume Noch Leben Kann" by Münchener Freiheit
    "Hope of Deliverance" by Paul McCartney

"Hero" by Nickelback really feels like it's written for Superman much more than Spider-Man, IMO. I really like this song for that reason.

I would really love it if someone made a new video of the new 'Death of Superman' movie using this song.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Everything off 'Born in the USA' by Springsteen. 'Born to Run' prolly too.

'I'm Set Free' by the Velvet Underground.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-14-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Funny enough, Dark Side of the Moon as a whole really goes well with" Whatever happened..." particularly side one.

Whenever I hear SUPERMAN by Five For Fighting, for some reason i think of Superman circa Identity Crisis/infinite crisis.
    Rofl, now that's depressing.

But yeah, although Pink Floyd I think fits generally well with the Alan Moore stuff, Dark Side of the Moon is my favorite anyway.

Comfortably Numb I guess goes over to Jungle Line.

A kiss from a rose = Jimmy O.
    Only woman bleed = Lois
    Rocket Man = Bizarro
    Been to a desert on a horse with no name = 50's Superboy
    Brick House = Lana Lang
    Rapper's Delight = Superman

Really though, JK. Have no song that reminds of any comic book heroes.
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    And Genesis' Land of Confusion has the obvious Superman reference in both the song and hilariously in the old video. But since it came out shortly after Crisis, I kept rewording it to be even more Superman specific:
    "Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow
    The Man of Steel had you depowered
    And you're losing backstory by the hour

Too many men, too many writers telling too many stories
    And not enough editors to go round
    You wonder why this is a land of confusion"
    I can't believe I forgot that one, I associate it with Superman too for the same obvious reasons, plus I watched a Superman AMV with it :P Nice new lyrics...

Here's another one I can't believe I forgot: Don't Bring Me Down by Electric Light Orchestra...I imagine Superman singing it to Batman (Bruce). More silliness from me xP

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    A kiss from a rose = Jimmy O.
    Only woman bleed = Lois
    Rocket Man = Bizarro
    Been to a desert on a horse with no name = 50's Superboy
    Brick House = Lana Lang
    Rapper's Delight = Superman

Really though, JK. Have no song that reminds of any comic book heroes.
    Not even now?

"And when you're weak I'll be strong
    I'm gonna keep holding on
    Now don't you worry, it won't be long, Darling
    And when you feel like hope is gone
    Just run into my arms"

'One Call Away' by Charlie Puth. I love listening to this song on the radio. It really gets me in a good mood. This is my fave part because that is exactly what Superman does, he saves the day and he is hope personified.

Retired

"You’re a Superman
    You can make my heart leap
    Ten thousand feet
    You’re a Superman
    But I’m the one girl who kin
    Get under your skin
    When you crush me in your arms,
    I must reveal,
    I’m only flesh and blood and not resistless steel
    You’re a Superman
    Your ardor’s stronger than
    A human man’s
    You’re a Superman
    And when you spring to me
    I am in ecstasy
    Some day you’re gonna leap to the altar at my feet
    Then the whole world will know
    ‘Cause I’ll tell all I know,
    That I want ‘em to know.
    That you’re my Superman"

Hope you don't mind if we broaden this a little.

(as much as later revelations have sullied his work)

R Kelly's I Believe I Can Fly is, to me, Clark's song as his powers began to manifest and he perhaps felt a little trapped in having to hide and come to understand what he could do etc.

Eternal's Angel of Mine is, to me, Lois' song as she starts to get to know Superman... and Clark.

Phil Collins' You'll Be in My Heart is mainly Ma but Pa's in there, too.

Hercules' Shooting Star is pre-CoIE Clark (especially Donnerverse) - seriously, those classmates really were 'glad to tell it to' his face...

Phil Collins' Son of Man is mainly Pa but Ma's in there, too.

Hercules I Can Go The Distance as Clark sets off on his odyssey.

(and, yes, Hercules and Tarzan are two of my favourite Disney movies and I find them very linked to Superman )