Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Retired

Am I the only one here old enough to remember 9/11 and the aftermath of that horror, when Superman became an emblem of hope and the Five For Fighting song was embraced as an anthem for the heroes on that day--with John Ondrasik performing the song at the Concert for New York City? Just thinking about it makes me tear up.

Big sport teams keep using Superman as the ultimate hero to express excitement when things go well for them. Superman is still very relevant in pop culture, he just needs a great film that most fans and general audiences like to push his status as the greatest superhero even higher... sigh

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Born to Run by Springsteen

Swiss army nerd

The Killers "When you Were Young" is, to me, the ode to Clark and Lois and their romance.

"He doesn't look a thing like Jesus, but he talks like a gentleman."

"Shining Star" - Earth, Wind, and Fire
    "Fly Like An Eagle" - Steve Miller Band
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Retired

Any song by the 5th Dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    The Killers "When you Were Young" is, to me, the ode to Clark and Lois and their romance.

"He doesn't look a thing like Jesus, but he talks like a gentleman."
    Yeah, that song reminds me of Superman too, for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I think the first time I ever heard that song was when I saw the video. If you haven't seen it, well, see for yourself. Anyway, when I think of this song, I guess I don't think of a healthy relationship.

So here's a really ridiculous thought I had. My department is doing one of those ugly sweater holiday parties, so I was looking for one. I saw some decent Superman related ones, but really the runaway winner, if you disregard price, was this Batman one. Anyway, it made me realize that no matter how many more times Superman is referenced in music, the best superhero reference in any song doesn't go to Supes. For better or for worse.

I find it so ironic how Superman inspires and has more songs that mention him. It seems people love the idea of Superman in general and what he represents: Power and wonder.

It's just WB who don't understand it.

Do certain songs remind you of Superman not because of the content of the music, but just because they occupied the same period in your life?

For example, around the time when Reign of the Supermen was going on, Janet Jackson's album Janet was all the rage. It was everywhere, and my brother played it all the time. So more often than not it was on in the background somewhere when I was reading. So those songs always bring back memories of that summer.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

"I Ain't Got No Home in this World Anymore" by Woody Guthrie.

Kinda Cheating But....

Save Me by Remy Zero
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Retired

The funny thing is, being a good Canadian, whenever I read the topic title, "How you remind me" by Nickelback comes into my head and it's hard to think of any other song.

Last edited by Jim Kelly; 12-13-2018 at 06:53 AM.