Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    The revivals for Hey Arnold and Invader Zim both resembled their original series pretty closely. If they were continuing the series and not rebooting it, it probably wouldn't look too different.
    Nickelodeon not Disney, comedy series not action series, and both shows were more cartoony/goofy looking than Gargoyles style. Basically Gargoyles was this more mature looking action show, kind of the Young Justice of that era, and unless Netflix brings it back it won't come back, and Disney won't touch it without dumbing it down.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 08-15-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Astonishing Member

Do you want Goliath Chronicles?

That's how you get Goliath Chronicles.

Fantastic Member

Only if Greg Weisman and the majority of the original cast and crew returned.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Nickelodeon not Disney, comedy series not action series, and both shows were more cartoony/goofy looking than Gargoyles style. Basically Gargoyles was this more mature looking action show, kind of the Young Justice of that era, and unless Netflix brings it back it won't come back, and Disney won't touch it without dumbing it down.
    Disney did do the Star Wars Rebels show, which was pretty mature, and they're going to be reviving the Clone Wars series for their streaming service.

The whole thing is a pipe dream, but if they did decide to bring Gargoyles back I think it's more likely they'd try to continue the original series rather than making a new series and ignoring what made the original so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    Disney did do the Star Wars Rebels show, which was pretty mature, and they're going to be reviving the Clone Wars series for their streaming service.

The whole thing is a pipe dream, but if they did decide to bring Gargoyles back I think it's more likely they'd try to continue the original series rather than making a new series and ignoring what made the original so popular.
    Star Wars is hugely popular, more so than Gargoyles was even in its heydays, so of course Disney was going to throw more talent and effort at it. Plus it was roughly right before the current trend of goofy cartoon designs got mega popular for some reason.

Gargoyles got canceled in the mid to late 90's. That was 20 years ago. Sure Nickelodeon did Hey Arnold which give or take is just as old, but ever since they started doing Teen Nick channel Nickelodeon seemed to realize there were a lot of adults wanting to revisit their childhoods. I don't think Disney is in the same place, with eyes to woo adults over with nostalgic cartoons (otherwise, Duck Tales wouldn't be a reboot or look so different). So yeah, Gargoyles if it got done wouldn't be a continuation but a 100% guaranteed reboot.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Star Wars is hugely popular, more so than Gargoyles was even in its heydays, so of course Disney was going to throw more talent and effort at it. Plus it was roughly right before the current trend of goofy cartoon designs got mega popular for some reason.

Gargoyles got canceled in the mid to late 90's. That was 20 years ago. Sure Nickelodeon did Hey Arnold which give or take is just as old, but ever since they started doing Teen Nick channel Nickelodeon seemed to realize there were a lot of adults wanting to revisit their childhoods. I don't think Disney is in the same place, with eyes to woo adults over with nostalgic cartoons (otherwise, Duck Tales wouldn't be a reboot or look so different). So yeah, Gargoyles if it got done wouldn't be a continuation but a 100% guaranteed reboot.
    I think DuckTales is a different beast. Scrooge has been around since 1947, Huey, Dewey, and Louie since 1937. There are multiple versions of their characters, there's only one version of Gargoyles. Plus, Ducktales was always a comedic series; the new series isn't that radical a departure from the original, even if the art style is different. A goofy Gargoyles series would be nothing like the original.

A better comparison might be what's happening with the ThunderCats reboot, with how they took a more mature/serious series and made it goofy and simplistic. Though I would hope Disney would be smart enough not to do something like that with Gargoyles.

Though even if Disney did decide to give Gargoyles a silly reboot, it might not be the end of the world. It might give the original series more exposure, and maybe Disney would let Weisman continue his comic series. The Airbender movie was largely panned, but would Nickelodeon have decided to continue the franchise with Korra, the graphic novels, or the blu-ray release, without it? And Teen Titans Go has been divisive, but now with the movie's success they might be bringing back the original series.
    Last edited by Dum Dum Dugan; 08-17-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I honestly don't know what's taken them so long, already.
    The question of if they can get money out of it probably.

I always believe that reboots should be reserved for something that was bad, so it can have the chance to become good or if it was ok but never had the chance to reach it's full potential. Gargoyles was shortlived so sure, I'm open to it, but I doubt the hands that would be crafting it. Disney animation is lame to me as of late; the new Duck Tales being an exception, so far.

It's good to hear the show was as awesome as my small memory of it seems to be. I was probably around 5?

If they could do it well, sure. If they are thinking anything like the Goliath Chronicles, then please leave it in the grave.

Incredible Member

Only if it's a true revival and not a reboot. Keep it 2-D and not 3-D/CGI, serious and not cutesy. Original voice actors are a must.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    can Goliath and Eliza actually have children?
    With help, likely. We've seen gargoyles turned into humans and vice versa. And there is the Demona/Elisa clone.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    With help, likely. We've seen gargoyles turned into humans and vice versa. And there is the Demona/Elisa clone.
    They are on good terms with Titania and Oberon (as good as anyone is able to be with Oberon - the guy is rather prickly) - so I'd say very possible as long as they are willing. Maybe Puck decides he needs to teach Xanatos' kid about transmutation magic.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    YouTube does have a fan made live Action Gargoyles teaser. I caught Gargoyles during reruns and was surprised it was Disney behind it. I was waiting for the Saturday premiere of the Goliath Chronicles at the time. I did not know it was not part of the Gargoyles continuity until years later. I think Disney could bring it back but only if they original crew could be brought back to do it. It at least is enough reason to finish releasing it on dvd.
    Here's the live action fan film trailer to GARGOYLES you speak of.

There had been attempts by Disney/Touchstone to get a live action flick off and running before. In 1998, and even more recently, 2010, '13. Although later attempts were not attempting to adapt the original story ,but craft a new one featuring another group of gargoyles awakening in modern times.
    I don't know if I want to see another animated series. In this day and it would probably be more like the wishy-washy ABC Goliath Chronicles in tone. Heck when the original syndicated show was rerun on Toon Disney, it got what was considered too edgey edited out to my personal chagrin. When the Mouse House bought Marvel, I thought for sure we'd get a new GARGOYLES book out of the deal. Either a remake in the vein of the Marvel Ultimate line, or preferably picking up where the show left off. Even the short-lived Slave Labor mag written by Greg Wiseman himself. Set in its own universe until things get set up. And then maybe doing some dimension crossing stories featuring Goliath and the Manhattan Clan running into Marvel 616.

Just rewatched the first few episodes, and its still good.

Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    Here's the live action fan film trailer to GARGOYLES you speak of.

There had been attempts by Disney/Touchstone to get a live action flick off and running before. In 1998, and even more recently, 2010, '13. Although later attempts were not attempting to adapt the original story ,but craft a new one featuring another group of gargoyles awakening in modern times.
    I don't know if I want to see another animated series. In this day and it would probably be more like the wishy-washy ABC Goliath Chronicles in tone. Heck when the original syndicated show was rerun on Toon Disney, it got what was considered too edgey edited out to my personal chagrin. When the Mouse House bought Marvel, I thought for sure we'd get a new GARGOYLES book out of the deal. Either a remake in the vein of the Marvel Ultimate line, or preferably picking up where the show left off. Even the short-lived Slave Labor mag written by Greg Wiseman himself. Set in its own universe until things get set up. And then maybe doing some dimension crossing stories featuring Goliath and the Manhattan Clan running into Marvel 616.
    Honestly, I thought the same when I heard Disney was buying up Marvel. And with a darker franchise like Gargoyles that is still good with a loyal base, you'd think Disney would have done something with it by popping it into Marvel. Who knows, maybe team up with Spidey every so often. And it would actually get me to read Marvel.