Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Disney revive the Gargoyles franchise?

Although only a few seasons long, it's quite well loved and, when Greg Weisman was at the helm, rivaled Batman the Animated Series in terms of quality. In a time of reboots of series from the 90s and early 2000s, would Gargoyles work?

And, with Disney owning Marvel, would the Gargoyles make an interesting addition to Marvel comics?

If you haven't seen it, youtube actually has most of the episodes.

I love Gargoyles, but I feel like it would be a monkey’s paw situation to revive it. See Star Wars.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I don't know, Disney sure hasn't impressed me with their tv cartoons.

I'm all for more Gargoyles but of good quality.

Season 1 of Gargoyles is my favorite animated show period. If they can bring it back with that quality or make a quality live action movie I'm down. Been hoping for a Movie for years. Have to bring Keith David back though, his voice acting made that show.

Boisterously Confused

Only if they could get the original band back together.

I would hate to see Gargoyles added to the MU for fear of what some of the lesser writers might do to them on a day they're struggling for an idea. Besides, Marvel's mythologies are crowded enough (see trainwrecks that ensue when your universe contains Mutants, Inhumans, and Eternals all at the same time).

Boisterously Confused

GRRRRRRR....double post

I think it should be a live action movie series. I think we are there in terms of cgi quality now.

Yeah you could yes the original voice cast for the gargoyles (but imagine Elba or Denzel as Goliath.

My personal choice for Xanatos is Rahul Kohli.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

YouTube does have a fan made live Action Gargoyles teaser. I caught Gargoyles during reruns and was surprised it was Disney behind it. I was waiting for the Saturday premiere of the Goliath Chronicles at the time. I did not know it was not part of the Gargoyles continuity until years later. I think Disney could bring it back but only if they original crew could be brought back to do it. It at least is enough reason to finish releasing it on dvd.

No, not with the current weird design aesthetic every cartoon has these days. Because you know it won't look right if they do it now.

Ultimate Member

I honestly don't know what's taken them so long, already.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I think it should be a live action movie series. I think we are there in terms of cgi quality now.

Yeah you could yes the original voice cast for the gargoyles (but imagine Elba or Denzel as Goliath.

My personal choice for Xanatos is Rahul Kohli.
    Noooo...Heresy! no one but Keith David for Goliath. No one!

Mighty Member

Gargoyles was one of my favorite 90's cartoon and from what I've seen of the remake of Ducktales, I'd have zero interest in what Disney would do should they decide to do a remake of Gargoyles.

Gargoyles gets treated like a bastard child in Game of Thrones by Disney though, so I don't think we'll ever see this.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Gargoyles was one of my favorite 90's cartoon and from what I've seen of the remake of Ducktales, I'd have zero interest in what Disney would do should they decide to do a remake of Gargoyles.

Gargoyles gets treated like a bastard child in Game of Thrones by Disney though, so I don't think we'll ever see this.
    They just released a bunch of Funko Pops for Gargoyles, which surprised me. hopefully if they sell well enough Disney might see the franchise is still viable. There were also rumors that Jordan Peele wanted to do a Gargoyles movie, but Disney thought it was too risky.

I'd love it if they could bring the show back as long as the original creative team and cast were there, but I'd settle for them letting Weisman continue his comic series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    YouTube does have a fan made live Action Gargoyles teaser. I caught Gargoyles during reruns and was surprised it was Disney behind it. I was waiting for the Saturday premiere of the Goliath Chronicles at the time. I did not know it was not part of the Gargoyles continuity until years later. I think Disney could bring it back but only if they original crew could be brought back to do it. It at least is enough reason to finish releasing it on dvd.
    It's only the Goliath Chronicles that doesn't have a DVD release, the first two seasons do (with the second season being divided into two volumes). The entire series is also available digitally on Amazon and iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No, not with the current weird design aesthetic every cartoon has these days. Because you know it won't look right if they do it now.
    The revivals for Hey Arnold and Invader Zim both resembled their original series pretty closely. If they were continuing the series and not rebooting it, it probably wouldn't look too different.
    Last edited by Dum Dum Dugan; 08-15-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Ironically the original pitch for gargoyles was supposed to be cutesy monsters ala gummy bears.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Ironically the original pitch for gargoyles was supposed to be cutesy monsters ala gummy bears.
    Bullet dodged, lol.

But yeah, Greg Weisman and crew would have to all come back. I do have to wonder though; can Goliath and Eliza actually have children?