Default What if Kara was Kal's literal sister instead of cousin?

Would anything be lost by such a status change? Or gained?

What would be the pros and cons of a move like that?

The biggest con I see is a ret. Another retcon (see what I did there?) would be a headache, but if the pros outweigh it, I'd be all for it the next time Supes gets a hard reboot.

Any worthwhile qualities of Zor-El and Alura In-Ze could be folded into Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van. And Streaky sucks compared to Krypto.

Pitch: Kara as the firstborn child of Jor and Lara, who accidentally left Krypton as a young teen, years before Kal was evenborn, in an experimental rocket only to get stuck in the timeless phantom zone until being freed by adult Kal.

He becomes her full-time mentor while living with the Kents in Smallville at night and going to high school in Metropolis in the day time (make her and Jimmy Olsen about the same age as Dick and Babs in Gotham).

She becomes his primary link to his homeworld, language, customs, and bio-parents. They only speak Kryptonian to each other, and Kara still laughs at his Terrestrial accent.

I'm uninterested in any contrary reasoning that basically says it can't ever be done because "that's the way it's always been".

Which is the biggest and only reason that this idea couldn't happen in the future.

What do you think? Is Cousin to Sister an upgrade? Should it be done the next time around? Why or why not?

I have a very close relationship with my cousins compared to a lot of people and a relatively distant relationship with my sister compared to folks who hang out with theirs all the time, and so taking those two things together I think I'm basically as close to my cousins as I am to my sister. What I'm saying is, in terms of Kara and Kal's relationship, I don't think anything would really change or improve in the slightest. Kara's already Kal's closest connection to his birthworld, to his culture, to his birth parents. I quite like the idea that they could primarily speak Kryptonese to each other when they're alone, that's a really good idea in fact, but there's no reason at all they couldn't do that as cousins.

My concern is emphatically not "it's never been this way," but "so what's the difference again, exactly?" All your good ideas - Kara going to high school or college in Metropolis, being the same age as teenage Batgirl or Robin, and especially putting more emphasis on the way she tangibly connects her cousin to Krypton - absolutely none of those concepts require her being his sister, and it only needlessly complicates the backstory to have Jor's test rocket contain her rather than Kal, much like in the Silver Age when Krypto was the one in the test rocket.
    Last edited by Adekis; 08-14-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I would find it an unnecessary change. DC has already messed up enough Supergirl during post-Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I would find it an unnecessary change. DC has already messed up enough Supergirl during post-Crisis.
    Hey, you take that back, Matrix was underrated! Hehehe!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Hey, you take that back, Matrix was underrated! Hehehe!

It doesn't really change a whole lot, overall. Outside of Jon calling her Aunt Kara, and a few minor things like that, I don't see much changing. Supes already sees her as a sister of sorts, being his only Kryptonian family. Just, now that Clark is the older one, he treats her like the younger sibling.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Unless they grew up together, I don't really see any dynamic difference. Their dynamic now is pretty brother/sister as is. Back when the Kents were elderly when they found him, I kind of imagined that they had a biological daughter who grew up well before they found Clark. So he would be their first son but not their first child. She would visit periodically and knew of his origins. It would also give him a reason to keep the SI even after they died. To protect her.
    Assassinate Putin!

I think it is more important that Kara spent her childhood on Krypton, or a piece of it like a domed Argo City. Raised as a Kryptonian, with first hand knowledge of Krypton and the family of El.
    While Clark was raised as a human. Thus only knows about Krypton from stories he is told. That is really all that separates Kara from just being a female duplicate of Superman. How they
    are related doesn't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Unless they grew up together, I don't really see any dynamic difference. Their dynamic now is pretty brother/sister as is.
    I agree with that...but, of course...these things are all a wee bit subjective.

Like you I’ve wondered a time or three just how the dynamic would change if Clarke hadn’t been an only child.

In some ways I think these are the sorts of issues DC writers could “mine” if DC was willing to completely re-set mainstream continuity every ten years or so, in some genuine total relaunch.

Instead we constantly see backtracks on the status of the iconic characters, an extreme reluctance to make any real change. Was anybody really surprised...for example...when Batman didn’t get married recently?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Like you I’ve wondered a time or three just how the dynamic would change if Clarke hadn’t been an only child.

In some ways I think these are the sorts of issues DC writers could “mine” if DC was willing to completely re-set mainstream continuity every ten years or so, in some genuine total relaunch.

Instead we constantly see backtracks on the status of the iconic characters, an extreme reluctance to make any real change. Was anybody really surprised...for example...when Batman didn’t get married recently?
    After all the publicity they had when they were promoting it?
    Yeah. I am, somewhat, holding out hope that by issue 100 (the end of King's run, supposedly) that the two are actually married.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Here is an interesting idea. Kara was sent to Earth to be Kal-El's protector. What if Kara's pod hadn't got knocked off course and she and Kal-El both arrived on Earth at the same time. There are various scenarios.
    Both are raised by the Kents. Or an interesting subject could be they are homeless street children living in a bad part of Metropolis. Maybe he isn't an infant. He is a young boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Here is an interesting idea. Kara was sent to Earth to be Kal-El's protector. What if Kara's pod hadn't got knocked off course and she and Kal-El both arrived on Earth at the same time. There are various scenarios.
    Both are raised by the Kents. Or an interesting subject could be they are homeless street children living in a bad part of Metropolis. Maybe he isn't an infant. He is a young boy.
    Would be an interesting Elseworlds Story, but otherwise, its just speculation.

Considering how much they've mined the drama of Kara's own parents, whether in the show, New Krypton, or with Zor-El as Cyborg-Superman, I don't think she needs to be Jor-El and Lara's kid alongside Kal-El.