Would anything be lost by such a status change? Or gained?

What would be the pros and cons of a move like that?

The biggest con I see is a ret. Another retcon (see what I did there?) would be a headache, but if the pros outweigh it, I'd be all for it the next time Supes gets a hard reboot.

Any worthwhile qualities of Zor-El and Alura In-Ze could be folded into Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van. And Streaky sucks compared to Krypto.

Pitch: Kara as the firstborn child of Jor and Lara, who accidentally left Krypton as a young teen, years before Kal was evenborn, in an experimental rocket only to get stuck in the timeless phantom zone until being freed by adult Kal.

He becomes her full-time mentor while living with the Kents in Smallville at night and going to high school in Metropolis in the day time (make her and Jimmy Olsen about the same age as Dick and Babs in Gotham).

She becomes his primary link to his homeworld, language, customs, and bio-parents. They only speak Kryptonian to each other, and Kara still laughs at his Terrestrial accent.

I'm uninterested in any contrary reasoning that basically says it can't ever be done because "that's the way it's always been".

Which is the biggest and only reason that this idea couldn't happen in the future.

What do you think? Is Cousin to Sister an upgrade? Should it be done the next time around? Why or why not?