Amazing Member

Default I need a tip for a gift please, something really good

Hi, I'm looking for a comics book or books, which were published as a compendium or deluxe edition, omnibus...something like that, if the smaller publishers does it. Its a gift for me I like fantasy, horror, I fairly enjoy superheroes and aswell like noir stuff. Ill be very happy if You could help me out guys, for example Red Sonja doesnt look bad, but I havent found any book which would cover more issues. I want to thank You all for help in advance

Alpha Skyhawk

Definitely Sunstone. It came out in two deluxe hardcovers. I own the five softcovers, but I've seen the first hardcover in person, and it's pretty nice. The last two softcovers put together pretty much equal the first three books in size, so the series is essentially split in half with the two hardcovers. Great art, great storyline, great everything.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

The Goon. "fantasy, horror, [sort-of] superheroes and noir--" that pretty much sums up The Goon, by Eric Powell, except to say it's extremely well-written and beautiful to look at. And please look into any of those listed in my signature, as well-- these are my Always Recommended titles!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fell by Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith. It's a mix of horror and noir that's about a homicide detective transferred to a seriously f'd up town called Snowtown where all sorts of weird stuff is happening.

Please let me add another vote for Fell! Gordonm was modest in his summation, did not mention how great and and wonderful this title is.
    I will follow his example, and ask you please to let me simply add another vote for Fell, a dark police procedural of great human warmth and compassion.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Fantasy, Medieval type setting: Highest House (IDW)

Crime drama: Death or Glory (I think its not collected yet, but will be soon) (IMage)
    Gasolina, the first arc is collected. But you need a little patience for some of the stuff to pay off.(Image)

Apocalyptic Sci-Fi: East of West (lots of volumes I think its getting close to 40 issues, so maybe 8 different collected edtions) (Image)

Retro Sci Fi: "The Visitor and Why He Stayed" (Dark Horse)

Horror: Baltimore The Plague Ships (Dark Horse)

Humor/Adventure: Bone, Into Boneville
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Fantasy/horror: Helheim / Brides of Helheim (Oni)

Fantasy/Sci-Fi: Green Valley (Image)

Horror/Noir: The Damned (Oni)

Horror: Locke & Key (IDW)

Noir: Stumptown (Oni)

Wow, QBall--
    lending my support, as well, to Green Valley, Locke & Key (though the last comic is an expensive hard-cover). and Stumptown: felt like no one else was aware of Stumptown!
    good choices, each.

You don't mention age but if the giftee likes spy thrillers, consider the Velvet Deluxe Edition by Brubaker. If adventure, consider Wild Blue Yonder by Raicht. For Sci-Fi, consider Echo, The Complete Edition by Terry Moore. Mystery, consider Red-Handed by Kindt. Mythology, consider Ichiro by Inzana

Locke & Key is awesome but not a single collection.