Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Isn't this the premise of Batman Damned the new Brian Azzarello limited series?
    Was about to post this.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Why wouldn't he investigate? What are you getting at with this question OP?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not only will he investigate, he'll deny he died at first and trying to find out if it's a trick, and once he believes it, he'll probably mourn him too

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    I'd say if Bruce or any non gangland figure were arrested for Joker's murder that the public and maybe even the law enforcement community would be clamoring for the killer to receive a pardon. I'm not alowing for PIS of course.
    I think you could probably break into his cell in Arkham while he's asleep and beat him to death with a baseball bat and STILL get off on self-defense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think you could probably break into his cell in Arkham while he's asleep and beat him to death with a baseball bat and STILL get off on self-defense.
    You know, I've long had this idea for an out-of-continuity story.

A guy who's family was murdered by the Joker spends a few years getting some basic training, then returns to Gotham, storms in on Batman and Joker during one of their confrontations, and shoots the Joker dead.

The rest of the story would explore the ramifications of this. Batman takes the guy down and brings him in, but the GCPD regard the guy as a hero, the DA is more than willing to go with the lightest possible charges, and the guy becomes a media darling and is regarded as a hero even greater than Batman by the public and there are petitions for him to get a pardon and even a legal fund for him which citizens enthusiastically contribute. In fact, the city, in its celebratory mood, soon starts demanding a 'zero tolerance policy' on the part of the Gotham police and city administration towards other super-villains and dangerous criminals. More instances of vigilantism across the city become widespread and even GCPD officers, galvanized by the new mood, start using lethal force more. Public opinion turns against Gordon and against Batman for having letting villains have free-run over Gotham for years.

In the meantime, Batman himself ponders his reaction to the Joker's death, his own failure to save the life of the killer's family years ago, and his failure to bring lasting peace and safety to Gotham. He outwardly condemns the Joker's killer as "just another killer", but that simply masks his personal doubts on the matter.

I can see other Bat-family members taking a very different view. Jason will be a bit p#ssed that he wasn't the one to do it, but will have a grudging admiration for the guy who did. Barbara would actually be happy that someone did it, even if she may not be entirely comfortable with it morally. Dick would probably empathise with the guy who did it, maybe even contribute to his legal fund.

It'd be an interesting topic to explore, for sure.

BANNED

of course he will. who feels he won't investigate the death of his greatest foe as thoroughly even more so than any other crime?it will turn out to be more of a joke/surprise if Batman has died and the joker tries to investigate who broke his favourite toy before he was through playing him.

Yeah he would definitely investigate it. Now if he could confirm for a fact that it was the Joker and not someone else then he would definitely want to know who did it. Though I doubt most of Gotham would care.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Imagine this: the Joker is found murdered in Gotham City. Given their history, would Batman bother investigating this particular murder, or would he wash his hands of this one and let GCPD deal with it?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Yeah, he'd totally want to know the answer to the mystery. After all if some new crime boss like Bane had shown up and twisted off his head... that's something he should know.

What would be a more interesting question would be 'What then'? What if it WASN'T a joke... what if it really WAS Joker dead... and the killer wasn't some new supercriminal but a random cop or asylum orderly or even some random civilian? Maybe joker killed someone important to him... maybe not... but he thought he was serving the greater good?

What would Batman do then? Would he really beat up and drag in random orderly number 4 for the homicide of someone who had killed thousands in gotham on a random Tuesday? Would he wash his hands of it and say justice was served?

That's kind of a story I'd like to read. Batman doesn't kill... but is it really a 'crime' that Joker is dead? At least a crime that he wants to see ordinary guy pay for?

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Isn't this the premise of Batman Damned the new Brian Azzarello limited series?
    I was thinking the same,

I thought hold on I have heard this before then it hit me, oh that's what Batman Damned is all about
    I AM GOOT

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Not only will he investigate, he'll deny he died at first and trying to find out if it's a trick, and once he believes it, he'll probably mourn him too
    You know. There was so much personal emotional energy shared between the two. Their dymanic is so personal and grief can be so crazy, you may be right. I really don't want to think so but ... You may have something there.

BANNED

Yes because whoever or whatever could kill someone as the Joker is definitely a much worse and much more dangerous entity.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Imagine this: the Joker is found murdered in Gotham City. Given their history, would Batman bother investigating this particular murder, or would he wash his hands of this one and let GCPD deal with it?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    LMAO OMG YES. Batman would not only investigate but he would not rest until he brought whoever did it to justice. After he made sure Joker was really dead. Ignoring the three Joker crap of course.

When it comes to the Joker, Batman is almost even more insane than he is. There was a story where Joker was on death row but this time it was a crime he didn't actually commit. Instead of Batman just kickin back, since even if he didn't do it this time, he's killed more than enough people to justify it, he still went out to find the evidence to clear his name.

I'd be more surprised Joker would be murdered to being with, cause Batman would have found out and stop the attempt beforehand.

I would think Bats would also accuse Jason of it too. For as smart as he is, sometimes Batman does punch first and ask later. It's not too hard to envision Batman smashing through a window and kicking Jason across the jaw so hard he's sent flying across the room while yelling out WHY DID YOU DO IT JASON?! with the poor shmuck not knowing what the hell he's even talking about.
    Last edited by MarkRodriguez09; 09-01-2018 at 11:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Yes because whoever or whatever could kill someone as the Joker is definitely a much worse and much more dangerous entity.
    He's not that tough to kill. He's not bullet-proof and makes a fantastic, brightly coloured target. 90% of the trouble is Batman trying to take him alive.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    He's not that tough to kill. He's not bullet-proof and makes a fantastic, brightly coloured target. 90% of the trouble is Batman trying to take him alive.
    It's usually tough to kill the Joker cause Batman keeps jumping in to stop it and save him.

I wonder if they are gonna do anything with the dionesium-immortal Joker stuff in the future.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.