Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default If the Joker were found murdered in Gotham, would Batman investigate?

Imagine this: the Joker is found murdered in Gotham City. Given their history, would Batman bother investigating this particular murder, or would he wash his hands of this one and let GCPD deal with it?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Imagine this: the Joker is found murdered in Gotham City. Given their history, would Batman bother investigating this particular murder, or would he wash his hands of this one and let GCPD deal with it?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I think of course he'd investigate. He might also be a suspect. Not that the GCPD would work too hard on that case.

BANNED

Of course he'd investigate it.

For starters, there's no way he believes the Joker is actually dead and this isn't the start of some Joker plot.

For sure. He'd probably assume he has a problem worse than the Joker if there is someone out there who offed him.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

I think it would basically turn out the same as Murderer?/Fugitive, with Batman investigating on his own isolated and other people suspecting him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    I think it would basically turn out the same as Murderer?/Fugitive, with Batman investigating on his own isolated and other people suspecting him.
    Big difference: in M/F the police were investigating and eventually arrested Bruce Wayne, not Batman. Much harder to work around. The police investigating Batman is a minor annoyance at best.

Of course he would. He would probably deep down in some way be happy about it but probably wouldn't say it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I think he would, if for no other reason then to make sure there wasn't a new, more dangerous bad guy on the scene. There would be too many unknowns. What if the killer was only getting started? He might despise the Joker but investigating the murder is necessary. It'd be pretty in keeping with Batmans character to suffer through something he didn't like in the pursuit of justice. That being said, if the killer was one of the Jokers civilian victims, would Batman turn them in?

I am sure that he will investigate this thinking that maybe the person who killed him can be worst than him or is a trick and the real Joker is alive.

Astonishing Member

I can see Batman and Gordon being determined to find the killer...but the vast majority of the GCPD not really caring much and public opinion actually going in favor of the unknown killer. I can also see other Bat-family members trying to talk Bruce around to prioritising other cases, while still supporting him.

Isn't this the premise of Batman Damned the new Brian Azzarello limited series?
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Big difference: in M/F the police were investigating and eventually arrested Bruce Wayne, not Batman. Much harder to work around. The police investigating Batman is a minor annoyance at best.
    There was a point in Murderer/Fugitive where even the Batfamily were starting to have their doubts as to Batman's innocence, so it would be interesting to see if the same would happen in this situation.

Heck, if the Joker was murdered, I wouldn't even rule out some of the Batfamily as suspects.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There was a point in Murderer/Fugitive where even the Batfamily were starting to have their doubts as to Batman's innocence, so it would be interesting to see if the same would happen in this situation.
    They suspected him because he was acting way more crazypants than usual, and because it was a very, very good frame, what with Vesper being killed by a strike known to maybe 5 people in the world, Bats being one of them.

Astonishing Member

Sure. He'd have to know who did it, inorder to detirmine if there was a new threat in town. On a personal level he's need to know whether Jason, Dick or Babs may have done it and of course he'd want to make ceratain that It was the Joker and that he was in fact dead. In the absence of any looming threat presented by Joker's killer and If he could be certain that none of his proteges or allies were involved , I think he could be at peace with it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I'd say if Bruce or any non gangland figure were arrested for Joker's murder that the public and maybe even the law enforcement community would be clamoring for the killer to receive a pardon. I'm not alowing for PIS of course.