Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Comics deaths are fake and everybody knows it, so they don't happen in continuity. Events aren't built around "deaths" any more because readers laugh at them.

Something else that should happen in an Elseworld title are fake "marriages." DC won't be able to pull that stunt again either.
    I get you have some sore spots on these issues, but rationally even if what you say is true, DC is never going to limit deaths to just elseworld titles and you have to know that. Especially less popular/iconic characters who can't support their own title and aren't currently used as an ensemble or supporting cast. We both might hate it, but there is no way around it. I'd rather an Elseworld story be used to tell worthwhile stories than as a means for writers to get 'killing characters' out of their systems (especially since it wouldn't work, it's not a phase writers burn through, it's just a story telling element).

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I forgot one. DC and Marvel as the same universe from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I would find it interesting to fuse the Marvel and DC Universes' history as if they had always been one reality. I work on the outline for the story from time to time and came up with a bunch of interesting ideas.

-I'd want to open the story with Superman finding Captain America and helping thaw him out. When he comes to Superman shows him a lot of reverence having been inspired by his WW2 adventure stories growing up. John Stewart is also one of the first to salute him for the same reason. Then Superman takes Cap out flying to show him how much the world and Metropolis have changed. I'd also include a backstory with Wonder Woman and Cap being allies in WW2, which always made Steve Rodgers and Peggy uneasy and jealous despite there not being any fleshed out romance. Hell maybe they both lead the JSA.

-I'd love to play around with and combine the New Gods with Thanos and Ragnarok. Especially considering they were actually born in Jack Kirby's mind from the same type of setting and story.

-Luthor and Magneto would be central opponents in the story since each exudes the same kind of confidence and leadership, and the same supremacist pride in their own species. Luthor hates the idea of surrendering honorable and persevering humanity to tyrant super-beings as much as Magneto hates the ugly oppression and genetic backwardness of homo-sapiens. They're made for each other really.

-The wealth of Monarchs and civilizations make for interesting relationships. I can see Black Panther pining after Vixen but being rejected for a freer life more concerned with on-the-ground concerns, while Black Manta would definitely try and influence (or infiltrate) Wakandan society, which of course implicates Atlantis (which could have Namor ruling Atlantis while Arthur rules Poseidonis or something) . Combining the history there could be cool; the curse of Kordax having a different meaning in Wakanda could also be juicy.

-The Bat family definitely has to coordinate with Daredevil.

-Nick Fury and Waller competing for influence within the shadow operations of the government would make for great material.

-Certain teams would have different members. For example, the Teen Titans should have the "good looking" heroes, while the X-Men have the more freakish ones, which would make for new mixing and matching. Same with the Avengers, who should be what the New 52 JLA was going to be (covert operative misfits but working for SHIELD) and the JLA (independent moral high-ground capes). Captain America might fit into the league while Green Arrow or Captain Atom work with the Avengers.

-Ray Palmer friends with Pym and is maybe there when the Fantastic 4 have their accident.

It's a little tricky but it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Agreed on all those points, but Elseworlds will never be a means to prevent writers from killing off characters in next summer's huge blockbuster in continuity event. Death can still mean a lot to the story in an elseworld, but death means nothing to the sales numbers unless in continuity. But yes, an ongoing elseworlds title could outsell the main titles easily. The Dark Knight Returns has never been in continuity, and it is probably the best selling Batman story ever. There's Gotham by Gaslight, the vampire story, the one where Batman fights the predators, and the recent White Knight for famous Batman stories never in continuity. Superman has Red Son and All Star Superman.
    Yep that's my thinking.

I thought of a Supernatural/Smallville crossover where Clark is reimagined as a reincarnated/graceless Angel.

There was a challenge thread a few years ago about Clark having a group of siblings based off the Mikealsons from the vampire diaries/the originals.

A reworking of Superman red and blue where Kara and Clark has the superpowers/personalities from the start of their careers.

Boisterously Confused

The Shining City

Set in a post-Golden Age DC 1960s, the inventions of Robert (Robotman) Crane, Theodore (Starman) Knight, along with Carter (Hawkman) Hall's Nth Metal discovery, and the technology in Kal-L's Kryptonian rocket, are all commercialized. Leading to a technological revolution that utterly reshapes the US, and launches it far beyond the rest of the War Torn world. At least for some.

Superman and The Spectre are both missing (actually imprisoned by The Ultra-Humanite, who now occupies Robotman's body). The now-grown Star-Spangled Kid, recruits Wonder Woman, and several of the former Golden-Aged sidekicks to undermine the corporate techno-elite oligarchy that has come to dominate Earth.

Pride: An elseworld tale starring a Navajo Roy Harper as he returns to see his home reservation under attack from corrupt corporations.

Wrath of Olympus: In which the Amazons turn on the Olympians after Zeus attempts to kidnap Hippolyta leading to war. Also features Hippolyta and Philippus as a a married couple and Diana, Nubia and Donna as as sisters.

Koryak's Destiny: What if Koryak was able to claim the Atlantian throne?

Seven Wonders: An anthology series starring Hippolyta, Philippus, Donna, Nubia, Artemis, Akila and Cassie as Wonder Woman.

Here’s a pitch I’ve had for some time now:

BATMAN: DARKSEID’S KNIGHT

Premise:

After Bruce Wayne’s parents are murdered, he is taken to Apokolips where, after years of hellish training, he dons a high tech suit of armor with bat-like wings to become the War Bat of Apokolips in the service of Darkseid.

On his first mission on Earth, the War Bat causes a criminal called the Red Hood to fall into a vat of chemicals. The disfigured Red Hood is taken to Apokolips where because of a certain playing card he had in his person, he is renamed “Joker” and becomes Desaad’s assistant.
    Last edited by Rod G; 08-18-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I was watching The Death of Superman animated movie and it got me to thinking. It would be very interesting to see an Elseworld were the big event of the 90's stuck. Superman didn't come back after his death. Batman's broken back never was healed and he is still in a wheelchair. Barry Allen stays dead. Green Arrow stays dead. Hal Jordan stayed Parralex. Artimiss kept the Wonder Woman title. Basically how different the DCU would be if most of the original Justice League was gone.

An Elseworld/Earth where CoIE never happened but time moved on. Something like this...

- Hal, Barry, and Ray remain retired like they were retired before/during CoIE.

- Wally visits Barry in the future (where Barry stabilizes Wally's powers so they are no longer killing him) and Wally goes back to the present where he takes over the Flash mantle while Barry is still retired in the future with Iris.

- John Stewart is still the only GL in Sector 2814 while Hal is still retired and Guy is still in his coma.

- Superman eventually marries Lois, and they eventually leave Earth to spend their eventual retirement alone together (leaving Kara Zor-El and Black Lightning as Metropolis' protectors).

- With Superman retired, Firestorm becomes Earth's most powerful superhero.

- Batman eventually gets offed by the Joker, but instead of taking over the mantle, Dick stays as Nightwing and does things his own way.

- Kara Zor-El and Barbara Gordon/Batgirl form a World's Finest pairing in honour of their mentors and protect the world taking on the biggest threats that might come to Earth.

- Ray Palmer stays in the jungle, still retired with the new love of his life, and Professor Stein eventually takes over as the world's leading expert in Atomic Theory.

- Ollie eventually dies, leaves everything to Roy, and Queen Industries goes into the black ops business under Roy as Arsenal.

- Katar and Shayera eventually retire and go back to Thanagar, and Charlie Parker/Golden Eagle takes over their assignment.

- Arthur eventually retires and takes the throne full-time, and makes Tempest Atlantis' ambassador to the surface world.

- Diana eventually takes over as Queen of Paradise Island and Donna's the number #1 heroine on Earth.

- Changling is still the last survivor of the original Doom Patrol.

- JLDetroit's Steel eventually becomes more like DC's version of The Shield working with the United States Military while Vic/Cyborg eventually becomes the smartest man on Earth.

A new type of super team eventually arises (one made up of from the W/P Titans, Outsiders, and JL Detroiters as well as others) led by Nightwing and Black Lightning
    Last edited by docmidnite; 08-17-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

Superman stays Dead after Doomsday kills him. Bruce Wayne Never recovers from Bane breaking his back and Dick Grayson has to become Batman. Hal Jordan never returns from the dark Side. What then?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Comics deaths are fake and everybody knows it, so they don't happen in continuity. Events aren't built around "deaths" any more because readers laugh at them.

Something else that should happen in an Elseworld title are fake "marriages." DC won't be able to pull that stunt again either.
    Unlike what is said around here about other things regarding increasing sales even if there isn't any actual evidence to support it, we all know beyond a shadow of a doubt both superhero deaths and marriages sell comics. Even though I agree with you that it's a cheap gimmick most of the time, would I say no to it if I were in charge and my job was on the line? Nope.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

When someone proposes that a failed idea be tried again -- as often happens here -- the burden is on him to show why it would work now.

DC published an ongoing of The Brave and the Bold from 2007-2010. It didn't sell. Why would it sell this time?
    It would have sold much better if it followed the same recipe it had during the Bronze Age (though even I don't know if we really need another Bat title ).

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I was watching The Death of Superman animated movie and it got me to thinking. It would be very interesting to see an Elseworld were the big event of the 90's stuck. Superman didn't come back after his death. Batman's broken back never was healed and he is still in a wheelchair. Barry Allen stays dead. Green Arrow stays dead. Hal Jordan stayed Parralex. Artimiss kept the Wonder Woman title. Basically how different the DCU would be if most of the original Justice League was gone.
    That was the beauty of Elseworld or other imaginary stories. Anything interesting or imaginative could be explored without worrying about it affecting the main continuity. Even those fans who wouldn't have wanted what you just proposed as part of the then-DCU could have enjoyed it.

That's an awesome idea.

Boisterously Confused

Wasn't that pretty much what the run of Justice League where the former sidekicks took over was?