Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default 10 Must-Read Justice League Stories of All Time by Newsarama

Don't really agree with some of these - and a lot of great stories left off. Definitely agree with #9, which is my favorite Justice League story. Also agree with #s 7, 4, and 2. What do you think?

https://www.newsarama.com/37412-top-...-all-time.html

10. Origin - New 52 by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee
    9. No Man Escapes The Manhunters - Steve Englehart and Dick Dillin
    8. Justice League of America from Brave and the Bold - Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky
    7. Tower of Babel - Mark Waid and Howard Porter
    6. The Tornado's Path - Brad Meltzer and Ed Benes
    5. A Midsummer's Nightmare - Mark Waid and Jeff Johnson/Darick Robertson
    4. Justice - Jim Krueger and Alex Ross/Doug Braithwaite
    3. Divided We Fall - Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch
    2. A New Beginning - Keith Giffen, J.M. Dematteis, and Kevin Maguire
    1. Rock of Ages - Grant Morrison and Howard Porter

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Crisis on New Genesis should have been battling it out for first place, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

I feel like they only included the story from B&B 28 because it's the first story and they really didn't look very hard through all the Gardner Fox years--or they could have found many great adventures if they had tried. Likewise with the Giffen and DeMatteis run. Creators tend to improve on their first efforts--their early stories may lay the groundwork, but it's what happens after that that gets exciting.

Extraordinary Member

Justice League of America #100-102 should've definitely made the list. A great JLA/JSA team-up with the Seven Soldiers of Victory was an amazing story.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Justice League of America #100-102 should've definitely made the list. A great JLA/JSA team-up with the Seven Soldiers of Victory was an amazing story.
    There were quite a few Len Wein-written stories that could have been considered, but aren't on that list.
    Same with the very first team-up of the JLA & JSA. (In fact, it doesn't look like ANY of those annual team-ups are listed? WTF?!?)

#10 is the worst choice and probably one of the poorest JL story. Otherwise I agree with you.

How about DC: New Frontier ?

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    #10 is the worst choice and probably one of the poorest JL story.
    Maybe newsarama was just kissing up to Geoff Johns and Jim Lee?

(Then again, how old / how experienced were the people making this list?)

This should have been there.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

As much as I love Brad Meltzer, I don't think Tornado's Path makes the top 10.
    I would have liked to have seen Morrison & Porter's first storyline take it's slot.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I guess for people just getting into Justice League or comics in general Johns’ JL Origins is ok but his run had far better stories. There are a lot of cynical fans who hate on everything New 52, but his Justice League fun was actually really good. I would also include Crisis on New Genesis.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-15-2018 at 11:16 PM.

10. Origin - New 52 by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee ( No. It's an okay story, but definitely not Top Ten material. If I were to chosse a Johns New 52 storyline, I'd have gone with the Darkseid War that closed his run)
    9. No Man Escapes The Manhunters - Steve Englehart and Dick Dillin (Definitively belongs here)
    8. Justice League of America from Brave and the Bold - Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky (Meh. Okay, to honor the guys who started it all, but hardly any Garder Fox tale holds up to today's standards)
    7. Tower of Babel - Mark Waid and Howard Porter (Okay. It's pretty good)
    6. The Tornado's Path - Brad Meltzer and Ed Benes (HATED Meltzer's run. Sooooo boring. He did come up with a good line-up, but I'd be hard pressed to include any story of his in a Top Ten list)
    5. A Midsummer's Nightmare - Mark Waid and Jeff Johnson/Darick Robertson (It's Okay, but I don't remember it causing such an impression on me. Might have to re-read it)
    4. Justice - Jim Krueger and Alex Ross/Doug Braithwaite (Good. But there are other non-continuity tales that also belong in this list)
    3. Divided We Fall - Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch (Okay)
    2. A New Beginning - Keith Giffen, J.M. Dematteis, and Kevin Maguire (Yes, definitely yes. And other stories of this great run deserve to be here.)
    1. Rock of Ages - Grant Morrison and Howard Porter (I liked it, but I really consider it one of the lesser stories of Morrison and Porter's iconic run. If I were to pick one of them to take it's spot it'd have been New World Order - JLA #1-4).

Other stories that I find more deserving to be here (other than the one's already suggested): Justice League; The Nail by Alan Davis (IMHO, a strong contender to the top spot). Justice League of America #200, by Conway, Perez and various. Beasts - Justice League of America #221 - 223 by Conway and Patton. The Supremacy Factor - Justice League of America #224 by Busiek and Patton. Quest for Genesis/Secrets of Genesis - Justice League of America #192 - 193 by Conway and Perez. The Origin of the Justice League, Minus one - Justice League of America #144 by Englehart and Dillin (IMO, all of Englehart's JL is must read, and I'm including both #140-141 as part of thye No Man Escapes the Manhunters storyline, so I picked this one to single out). Syndicate Rules - JLA #107 - 114 by Busiek and Garney. Crisis of Conscience - JLA #115- 119 by Johns, Heinsberg and Batista (Hated Identity Crisis, but really liked this tie-in). The Obsidian Age - JLA #66 - 76.
    Okay, I guess that's quite enough of a smple. Of course there are many other arcs/stories that I love of the League (Tenth Circle, Trail by Fire, Crisis Times Five, Executive Action, Terror Incognita, Heaven on Earth, pretty much all the JLA/JSA team-ups, Destiny's Hand, Breakdowns, New Frontier, etc...), but It's supposed to be a short list.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 08-16-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Retired

I can see a justification for MIDSUMMER'S NIGHTMARE, because the Justice League International had become a tired concept toward the end and the concept needed a refresh. So Waid was the one that used the orignal seven (albeit with a new GL and Flash in the roll call) to get back to a Gardner Fox inspired Justice League. And, in the JLA ongoing series, Morrison ran with that idea. So you need Waid to get to Morrison.

I just wonder why there had to be three Mark Waid stories on the list, when no other writer gets the same representation. When I was reading JLA, it was a bit of a comedown to have Waid take over from Morrison. I didn't think his run could stand the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This should have been there.

Totally agree. It's not just the greatest JLofA comic imo, it's one of the greatest comics of all-time. I freakin' love JLofA #200. If I could have only one comic, it would be that one.
    Batman - Daredevil

Origins is what JLA would be like if Michael Bay made a movie on it....I thought it was awesome because it was simple and straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Origins is what JLA would be like if Michael Bay made a movie on it....I thought it was awesome because it was simple and straight forward.
    Lol. Micheal Bay's movies are awfull.