All-New Member

Default Question about X-Men Comics Order

Hey everyone, I'm a fairly new comic reader and I decided that I wanted to start reading the X-Men comics as I had read some previously and liked them. For my starting point, I chose to start at Morrison's New X-Men #114 (2001). I felt like that would be a solid point to start reading the X-Men comics. My question is which X-Men series should I move on to after finishing that series. I'm a bit confused about this. As Morrison's run ended in 2004, I found 3 series that began in 2004:

Astonishing X-Men
    New X-Men: Academy X
    X-Men

Aside from my main question, I have a general question about the three series listed above: Do the events in those series take place after the events of the final New X-Men (2001) comic and show stories of different X-teams with different characters, or is it more complicated than that? I have read the first issue of All 3 comics listed above and it looks like X-Men (2004) is a direct continuation, even continuing the numbering.

Essentially, I was wondering if each of the comics took place in the same continuity, or if one of the series above takes place in one timeline while one or both of the others take place in a different timeline?

If you guys could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a good one!

(Start with Giant Sized X-Men #1 and then proceed to Claremont's X-Men #94(1975))

But seriously, all those series you mention are basically concurrent. Once you get past those, continuity will become less and less a thing.

(but seriously, read Claremont's run....)
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I think you should start with the 2004 X-Men Reload event if you haven't already read it. If I remember correctly, it addresses how Morrison ended the run that you just read.

After that, you have four X-Men books going on at the same time (the three you mentioned and Uncanny X-Men). Think of them as a series of story arcs that you can read independently. There are very few references to continuity and to how previous stories affected the X-Men.

Astonishing X-Men was pretty much in its own little corner of the Marvel universe with no interactions with other ongoing series. I think the roster is somewhat similar to Morrison's run though.
    The X-Men that started in 2004 is actually the New X-Men book that got a different title. I think it's the beginning of a new story arc though so you can start it at this point.
    The New X-Men X Academy runs at the same time with no connections, until you get to the Messiah Complex crossover event.

I don't think you absolutely need to read these series (or any other X-Men book for that matter) in a specific order to enjoy it. Definitely read the crossover events in their entirety and in their chronological order, but other than that the different ongoing books are broken down into story arcs that can be read independently except for a few chronological details here and there.
    Last edited by Rover; 08-19-2018 at 10:57 AM.

All-New Member

Thanks for the tip! I wanted to start reading the older stuff but I was pretty intimidated by it all and where to start. Now that I know where to start, I'll give it a go.

Did you read X-treme X-Men? That series was running during the New X-Men series that you just read. I require you to read that series as well.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

All-New Member

I haven't started reading X-Men (2001) yet. I thought it would be a great lace to start but I haven't started yet. As per the suggestion above, I just finished reading Giant X-Men #1 and I think I'm gonna start reading the Claremont series for now. It seems like most of the history of the X-Men and most of the best stories in the history of the franchise happened during this run, so I figure it should be a pretty great starting point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SCampo98 View Post
    I haven't started reading X-Men (2001) yet. I thought it would be a great lace to start but I haven't started yet. As per the suggestion above, I just finished reading Giant X-Men #1 and I think I'm gonna start reading the Claremont series for now. It seems like most of the history of the X-Men and most of the best stories in the history of the franchise happened during this run, so I figure it should be a pretty great starting point.
    Yes, Chris Claremont's run was the best and he introduced a lot of key X-Men characters. Batch 1 and 2 below are CC's run.

My recommendations:

1.Giant size X-Men #1 (Introduction of Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler)

2.Uncanny X-Men #94-#280 (Origin of Kitty, Rogue, Gambit, Psylocke, Magik, Northstar, Dazzler, Jubilee, Jamie Madrox, Rachel Summers, Cable as baby)

3. Uncanny X-Men #50-#66 (Origin of Polaris, Havok, Sunfire, Erik the red) and fantastic art

4. Marvel Graphic Novel #4, New Mutants #1-#28 (Origin of Magma, Sunspot, Cannonball, Dani, Karma, Wolfsbane, Cypher, Magik, Legion aka Prof Xavier's son)

After CC left, the series went downhill and not much significant things happened.

Morrison's run is boring, poor art and not worth buying.
    Last edited by jalsrix; 08-20-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCampo98 View Post
    There ya go, champ! Yes, Claremont's run is where everything important happened. All the later runs are built atop that foundation, which if removed, collapses the rest. They are good, meaty, stories, too. None of this modern decompression. Stuff actually happens in each issue. Enjoy!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!