Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Extermination #1 (spoilers/discussion thread)

Not doing a recap today (though if anyone has a hankering, go for it). Mostly just getting us out of the preview thread so we can drop the spoiler boxes.

re: Cable's death

I'm still surprised this impacted me as much as it did. Cable isn't a fave of mine, and his time-travel hijinks mean another writer can always find away around it. Maybe it was Jean and Rachel mourning him that got me misty - Jean just got back, Scott's gone, and now this.

I've also got to admire Brisson's guts in bringing in a young Cable just as we start setting the stage for getting rid of the 05. Lots of intriguing stuff here. It's the first I've cared at all for an 05 story pretty much since before BotA, so big kudos to the creative team.

I might be in the minority, but I thought this was bad. Bloodstorm's death wasn't surprising. Cable's death was, but then a younger version of him appear.

Considering Cable (616) history in comics, this new version has to be from another reality. It cannot be the 616 version, unless its Stryfe for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Magneto; 08-15-2018 at 07:50 AM.

That was AMAZING!

I didnt like Jean's reaction to Cable's death. She kept her cool but I expected more emotion

I am so excited to have this X-quisite art on this book! Can anyone give a head count to those background folk in attendance ? Kudos to any scanners!

Bloodstorm’s death had zero impact for me, but Cable’s was a “wow” moment. Not sure I like this younger version with the Brolin haircut, though. I prefer the bulkier, older (grayer) guy. But I feel pretty confident he’ll be back. He always comes back.

Even if this is an attempt to streamline the character, like the Deadpool 2 film did, and this younger version sticks around; I have no doubt in my mind they’ll age him up some. Right now he’s a skinny dweeb. My Cable is a brick $#!thouse. Send him back to the future for awhile and have him hit the gym while there, then bring him back. Then maybe I’ll accept him.

I really liked it, though somehow I didn't expect so much death right out of the gate. Naive considering the name is Extermination I guess! I have had no interest in Bloodstorm, but her death kind of hit me. Art was gorgeous. Very curious how the mystery twins factor in!

Is Bobby really dead?! I thought they couldnt kill the originals. Im definitely picking this up now for the Rachel/Jean/Jeen/Cable panel time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I am so excited to have this X-quisite art on this book! Can anyone give a head count to those background folk in attendance ? Kudos to any scanners!
    There actually wasn't much in the way of background appearances, save for the dystopian deaths in the preview and lean-in stories. For notable appearances, we have:

The 05
    Bloodstorm (dead)
    Cece Reyes
    Rachel Grey
    Kitty Pryde
    Ahab
    Cable (dead)
    Jean Grey
    Nightcrawler

Yeah Cable's death was really sad. Or rather, Rachel and Jean's reactions to it. Really appreciate that Brisson remembered their relationships though. I can imagine a version of this story where it doesn't even get acknowledged. I don't have a feeling it's gonna stick though.

Bloodstorm... Meh. She never really got much development on Blue. I didn't really care for her. Which I guess is why she was chosen as the first one to go... Bobby though. I wonder what's lil Cable plans to do with him and the rest O5? Good thing is I don't think he's gonna really die, bad is that he's probably gonna be out for the whole story...

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That was AMAZING!

I didnt like Jean's reaction to Cable's death. She kept her cool but I expected more emotion
    Well, I thought she seemed pretty affected when she saw him. Maybe showing some tears would have helped?

That was cool, I don't know how I feel about BloodStorm's death, felt quick and bloody and I don't feel much emotion. The art was fantastic and the end was awesome, definitely excited for the next issue.

Wow, let the exterminations begin. This is a lot like the last X-Termination series from a few years ago, with the death toll. (Let's see if they end up killing off an entire world before it's done.)

Comments aside, I thought this was pretty well done. The art was really good, and the pacing was edge of your seat. I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Is Bobby really dead?! I thought they couldnt kill the originals. Im definitely picking this up now for the Rachel/Jean/Jeen/Cable panel time.
    Honestly I’m not sure about that, it looked more like New Cable just knocked him out and took the body. I could be wrong but he wasn’t quite as definitive as Bloodstorm or Cable.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Killing my favorite character was not cool.

Lol @ the fact that I think Angel only had one line in the entire issue. Poor Angel.

So, it seems that the O5 live in the school now.

I thought Bloodstorm's death was handled great. She needed to be jettisoned quickly, so that the story could truly be about the O5, but she also received some deft characterisation and more development with her Cyclops relationship in those few pages than anywhere else. I'd still like for her to be picked up by the Exiles, somehow.

The book, overall, was just awesome. Great pacing, particularly when you compare it to this week's Astonishing (I tend to like Rosenberg's writing, but this was a real slog).

Cable's death. Yeah, I don't think it counts. While I'd love for the evil to be defeated, it's just not realistic. The reveal of a younger Cable as the hooded bad guy though? Genius. Truly something unexpected. With this clear focus on Cable, I'm hoping that Brisson uses this chance to address the long-dormant plot point of Ahab's relationship to Cable. Then we'd have Cable, teen Cable and Old Man Cable all in one book.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly I’m not sure about that, it looked more like New Cable just knocked him out and took the body. I could be wrong but he wasn’t quite as definitive as Bloodstorm or Cable.
    Yeah, it looked like baby Bobby just got knocked out and put in stasis or something. If young Cable had wanted to just off him, he had plenty of opportunity, so I'm guessing not dead.