Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Extermination #1 (spoilers/discussion thread)

Not doing a recap today (though if anyone has a hankering, go for it). Mostly just getting us out of the preview thread so we can drop the spoiler boxes.

re: Cable's death

I'm still surprised this impacted me as much as it did. Cable isn't a fave of mine, and his time-travel hijinks mean another writer can always find away around it. Maybe it was Jean and Rachel mourning him that got me misty - Jean just got back, Scott's gone, and now this.

I've also got to admire Brisson's guts in bringing in a young Cable just as we start setting the stage for getting rid of the 05. Lots of intriguing stuff here. It's the first I've cared at all for an 05 story pretty much since before BotA, so big kudos to the creative team.

I might be in the minority, but I thought this was bad. Bloodstorm's death wasn't surprising. Cable's death was, but then a younger version of him appear.

Considering Cable (616) history in comics, this new version has to be from another reality. It cannot be the 616 version, unless its Stryfe for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Magneto; 08-15-2018 at 07:50 AM.

That was AMAZING!

I didnt like Jean's reaction to Cable's death. She kept her cool but I expected more emotion

I am so excited to have this X-quisite art on this book! Can anyone give a head count to those background folk in attendance ? Kudos to any scanners!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I am so excited to have this X-quisite art on this book! Can anyone give a head count to those background folk in attendance ? Kudos to any scanners!
    There actually wasn't much in the way of background appearances, save for the dystopian deaths in the preview and lean-in stories. For notable appearances, we have:

The 05
    Bloodstorm (dead)
    Cece Reyes
    Rachel Grey
    Kitty Pryde
    Ahab
    Cable (dead)
    Jean Grey
    Nightcrawler

Killing my favorite character was not cool.

Lol @ the fact that I think Angel only had one line in the entire issue. Poor Angel.

So, it seems that the O5 live in the school now.

BANNED

Blaquesmith needs to get that boy on a leash. Total amateur hour over at Clan Askani.

I can’t help but feel like baby Cable’s role should’ve been taken by Hope too.

This was great!

Reminded me of event books like X-Cutioners Song, Messiah Complex and Second Coming. Cable just makes stories better, or I'm very biased.

Hope they dont keep the young version around. I like Cable as the old man bionic soldier. I loved seeing Rachel's reaction to his death. Jean had an odd reaction but then again shes been like this since she came back. Jeen and Tyke displayed more emotion.

I am definitely looking forward to the rest of the series.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

so they just passed Rachel over and had Teen Jean use Cerebro instead

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

As I said in the preview thread, this book in one issue has recaptured the drama, angst, and danger that got me into X-Men books back in the late 80's. Brisson has woven a story that brings to light what is at the essence of the X-Men: family and the relationships amongst the X-Men.

Here are my other thoughts:
    - I thought Bloodstorm's exit was well done and gave some emotion to Tyke.
    - AHAB!!! God I have missed this Ahab (I hated the one from Uncanny Avengers)
    - I love that Ahab references meeting Cyclops before, which goes back to "Days of Future Present" (more later)
    - LOVED the scene with Rachel, Jean, and Cable. Although I'm a little disappointed that neither Rachel or Jean felt Nathan's death as both were psi-linked to him. I'm sure there is some explanation as this is the umphteenth version of Cable...
    - Really interested in the "X-Man" young Tyke/Jeen version of Cable and his mission to send the O5 back.
    - I find it EXTREMELY interesting, and I wonder if Brisson did it on purpose, that the first time Cable met Jean and Rachel was during "Days of Future Present" when Ahab came hunting Franklin Richards and Rachel. And now the last time we see them together on panel (for now) is when Ahab re-appears. Such an amazing continuity moment!! I'm excited to see how this event plays out.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's a slap but not a shock given the way his title ended. I have peace with the character arc Hope's dad has wrapped up, looking forward to them promoting a tough new version with no TO.

I thought the whole point of Nate grey was to have a young "cable" around lol
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

I know this gonna sound confusing, but how do we know that this is in fact a younger version of the original Cable? This is gonna sound like a mouthful but how do we know this isn’t 05 Cable, aka the son of the grown up 05 Cyclops and Jean who never went back to the past and died in the future ?
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-15-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Bloodstorm death was so good and so appreciated. Cables death was unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    There actually wasn't much in the way of background appearances, save for the dystopian deaths in the preview and lean-in stories. For notable appearances, we have:

The 05
    Bloodstorm (dead)
    Cece Reyes
    Rachel Grey
    Kitty Pryde
    Ahab
    Cable (dead)
    Jean Grey
    Nightcrawler
    The number is going to increase. Can't wait to see this one.
    https://twitter.com/PepeLarraz/statu...97948321161216