Default Justice League #6

Well the arc stated off very promising. My only complaint was the manner in which Joker took out Hawkgirl.

The art is still great. Very vibrant and fluid.

I still feel this story is trying to do a little too much. Snyder doesn't have to make things this overly intricate and interwoven.

Anyway big improvement from last issue, which I didn't like (because nothing happened). The arcs headed toward its conclusion. I believe Snyder's probably going to pull a Bendis and not give this arc the closure it probably needs but use this as a spring board into the next arc/event.
    The J-man

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really like the ever-escalating "HOLY$#!+WE'REALLGONNADIE!" vibe that Snyder is going for each issue. The Legion of Doom issue helped break it up and keep Jorge on art (where he is absolutely killin' it).

There's perhaps a bit too much going on, but I would rather have too much to unpack than not enough. I hope some of these new ideas actually get explored at some point. Snyder looks like he's juggling a lot and moving things so fast, we don't notice the flaws, like that he still hasn't figured out what to do with Superman.

All in all, it depends on whether he can stick the landing. Even though each arc is going to build to the next crisis, which will in turn lead to another one, there's got to be a satisfying conclusion emotionally for the characters, otherwise it's all a bunch of sound & fury, signifying nothing.

Is the Moon still gone? And has it shown up in any other DC comics over the last few months, or is every other series happening before this one?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Is the Moon still gone? And has it shown up in any other DC comics over the last few months, or is every other series happening before this one?
    An upcoming issue will be all about repairing the moon according to Snyder, so the other titles won't have to bother dealing with a broken moon unless they want to.

Incredible Member

Dialogues and monologues are like coming from a children's book. I nearly burst into laugh when I saw "Joker has never been so happy. He's not sure what's left to do"...
    And Snyder did a shxt job on Sinestro.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    An upcoming issue will be all about repairing the moon according to Snyder, so the other titles won't have to bother dealing with a broken moon unless they want to.
    Thank God...breaking the moon just made it too over the top, a parody like “The Tick” instead of something meant to be taken at all seriously...

This story is kinda turning into a typical Snyder run. He throws out a bunch of interesting far out ideas but doesn’t put the story together in a cohesive way. It’s starting to remind me of Metal. There were a lot of high concepts and cosmic occurrences but by the end of the story I really didn’t care about the outcome.
    I’m a huge fan of Grant Morrison so I usually love the mind bending high concept stuff. But Snyder doesn’t put the pieces together well enough. Just my opinion.

So far I'm really enjoying the book. Along with the Bendis Superman it's become my favorite title DC is publishing. But as others have said it'll depend on how well Snyder sticks the landing.

This is the kind of Justice League I want to read about. I love the roster, I love the concepts being used and the overall story. I love how high the stakes are. I'm really feeling it. I mean, I'm not big on the idea that all the forces beyond the Source Wall are just mirror reflections of what was inside the DCU, and I have a few other nitpicks, but other than that I'm all about this. And the art is friggin amazing.

But if Snyder can't nail the ending it'll end up ruining the whole thing and the run won't amount to much. But so far? So far I'm enjoying the hell out of this book. I even liked the interlude issue (#5) as it explained a lot about how we ended up at this point and what Lex is trying to accomplish and how.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed this issue and the bombast.

Mostly I think I just might be shipping Manta and Cheetah.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

It's big. It's kinda dumb. It's blockbuster action.

I love a good cerebral Justice League too, and some, such as Morrison, have shown you can do both. But this is a good way to to do a World's Greatest Superheroes book in my opinion.

I'm not feeling it or connecting to it, unfortunately - and despite it being Leaguers and Legionnaires that I love reading about.

Conceptually, the Totality is not connecting for me, but I'm intrigued by the idea of the new Forces in the DCU.

It just feels rushed and not "grounded" or satisfyingly character-driven or -developing for me. I feel like I'm reading the equivalent of a Michael Bay film that's all empty calories. Something more interesting than another standoff between Lex Luthor and Batman might have been more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    It just feels rushed and not "grounded" or satisfyingly character-driven or -developing for me.
    It's definitely not character developing, but I don't think it was ever going to be. Other than Kendra and J'onn, the rest of the roster have solo titles (Vic still has his, right?) so that's where the character development happens. I do think we're getting into J'onn's head in a satisfying way, and it's looking like Snyder is going to do some character work there (and with Kendra, I guess?), but having to share page time with so many other characters means it won't happen quickly. And I think we're actually seeing some decent character work with Lex. Snyder pulled him from "legitimately trying to be a hero" back to villainy with some solid character development. I think half the purpose of the Legion of Doom is to provide some ground for character work, since you can't get that with the likes of Clark, Barry, or Bruce.

And the book sure as hell isn't character driven either. But we knew that going in; this whole thing is dealing with the fallout of the Source Wall breaking. It's a completely outside factor driving the narrative.

I feel like I'm reading the equivalent of a Michael Bay film that's all empty calories.
    Not a bad comparison. Though I'm enjoying this a hell of a lot more than anything Bay has done since Bad Boys.

Something more interesting than another standoff between Lex Luthor and Batman might have been more exciting.
    I'd agree....except Bruce lost. And the mean-spirited, slightly-jealous-of-Batman's-current-popularity Super-fan in me loves it every time the Bat gets smacked down.

It's a shame some people aren't enjoying the book. I hope they get the JLA title they want soon. But I am very happy with this book so far. Of course, I don't ask for much from the League; just some big names, some big threats, and some fun character interactions mixed in-between the punching.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.