Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rank the New 52 Batman line three years in....

How would you rank the titles. I listed all of them (atleast all that I can remember off the top of my head), but I'm only rankings the ones I followed.

Batman, DC, The Dark Knight, Batman INC, Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Harley Quinn, Grayson, Batwing, Birds of Prey, Talon

1. Batman - easy
    2. Batman and Robin - besides from the 5 stages of grief arc, this has been really good.
    3. Detective Comics - Been very solid since Tony left
    4. Batman Inc - a lot of good stuff here but just felt so out of place.
    5. Greyson - Better than the NW run and only 2 issues in.
    6. Nightwing - Certainly has had a bunch of up and downs.
    7. Red Hood and the Outlaws - ditto
    8. Talon - Better than I was expecting.
    9. Batgirl - Wished Gail would have moved on the first time DC fired her from this series.
    10. The Dark Knight - Other than the scarecrow origin this title wasn't very good.
    11. Catwoman - I actually liked Judd's CW but since he left it has been a complete mess.

Have not read or atleast not much of:
    Birds of Prey, Batwing, Harley Quinn, Batwomen

I'll give this a shot.

Of what I currently buy:
    1st = Batman Eternal
    2nd = Detective Comics
    3rd = Batwing (but that's finished)
    4th = Batgirl

Had been buying Batman, Incorporated in collected versions, but that's finished.

Dropped the main Batman title after Death of the Family, but trying Zero Year in collected editions

Batman and Robin I dropped after issue #0; picked up a few Hunt for Robin issues, but gave up again when Darkseid and Apokolips became involved

Batman: The Dark Knight I dropped after issue #2, but then started buying it again after the first arc finished. Dropped it again after that looooooong Scarecrow arc.

Batwoman I dropped after issue #9 (but bought the #0 issue)

Nightwing I dropped after issue #0, not buying Grayson

Talon I bought issues #0 - 4 before dropping it.

Birds of Prey, Catwoman, and Red Hood and the Outlaws I've only bought occasionally.

Not buying Harley Quinn.

Incredible Member

Hmm... I'll break it up in categories. Again, just things I've read.

Things I've read all the way all:
    0. Grayson - Tbh if the quality of the rest of the run is anything like the first two issues, then this will probably be first on my list.
    1. Batman and Robin - all of it was good except for the stages of grief
    2. Batman - All but DOTF and the CoO endings was good
    3. Batwoman - #1-#24 were amazing, but quiality drops quite a bit despite Batwoman Annual #1 wrapping up where it left off. Still not bad though.
    4. Talon - Pretty good. The ending was a little rough, but everything else was enjoyable. Nice for it to have an actual goal in mind.
    5. Nightwing - Average. Picked up around #19, but nothing that really stands out.
    6. Batgirl - Had to struggle to get through this, tbh. Made me miserable and I can't really think of any truly memorable moments.

Things I Read Some Of:
    1. Detective Comics - Amazing #30 onward.
    2. Batwing - First eight or so issues were really good, and there was were a couple issues with Luke that were pretty good.
    3. Red Hood and the Outlaws - First few issues were terrible, picked up a bit, got terrible again, and got better again. Still not sold on their team dynamic or Roy and Kori's relationship, but there was some amusing or nice moments. Can be a fun read once and a while if I don't take it seriously or expect anything from it.
    4. Birds of Prey - First few issues were okay, but good lord did they mess it up. Who cares about Condor, why did they mess up Starling and Black Canary, and why is this such a mess in general. Having Barbara on it seems really unnecessary since she can't really do much that others can't do.

I've read a couple issues of Catwoman and Batman The Dark Knight, but they were so terrible I didn't know what to think. Not keeping up with Harley Quinn.

#1 Batman and Robin
    #2 Harley Quinn
    #3 Batman Eternal
    #4 Grayson
    #5 Batman
    #6 Batman eternal

Things I'm not reading but will in the future
    Red hood and the outlaws
    Batgirl

After three years we're finally showing some signs of improvement.

Snyder's Batman doesn't strike a chord for me, but I'm still reading it, so there's that.

Daniel's dubious beginnings on Tec spawned some fun characters if not much else, and Layman's run seemed like a phone in to me, but Tec is finally starting to take some form.

Batman and Robin has been good, and at times great, while at other times excruciating. (Hated the Two Face rewrite....) Starting to turn into a fun book again.

Eternal is easily the best book on the shelves currently I think. I'm sure we'll be seeing some of the events reverberate in the other titles. This is the new format for Batman comics. I'm loving the weekly onslaught.

I wasn't reading Nightwing pre 52, and only read the first couple issues after the boot. Same goes for Batgirl. I stuck on Batwoman for a while longer, but the series seemed to meander, so I jumped off somewhere around issue 8 or 9.

Incorporated doesn't even really count as a 52 title to me, as it's just the end of Morrison amazing run. Nothing in the new 52 has come close to being that enjoyable for me.

I really dug the LODK digital series, and Arkham Unhinged.

Really digging Batman Beyond and '66 alot.

I was ready to stop buying comics that first year, year and a half, but things are starting to get fun again.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Ranking of Bat titles I still read:

1. Grayson
    2. Batman Eternal
    3. Detective Comics
    4. Harley Quinn
    5.Red Hood and the Outlaws (now that Lodbell is back anyway)
    6. Batgirl

*Talon would have fit in the ranking at number 6 before Batgirl.

All the rest of the titles I either dropped for various reasons or was not interested in to start with.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

Between Doyle and bringing in Seeley, things are definitely picking up in a way they hadn't even done with the Relaunch.

Current books only. It's pretty impossible to top Batman, Inc., or the J.H. Williams drawn issues of Batwoman (or that one by Francavilla).

5. Batman & Detective, tie. Snyder doesn't write "just for me", but it's got a level of quality. Detective equals it by art and keeping it street level - as long as the character voices sound right, I don't mind that it's not exactly "mindblowing" mystery reveals. That's "current runs" tied. Layman was workmanlike and Daniel designed fun villains, but nothing groundbreaking.
    4. Batman and Robin. Has ups and downs. Gleason is unstoppable, though, and I appreciate direct follow-ups to Morrison's run.
    3. Batman Eternal. No character excluded, tons of beats, stuff that we don't even realize is connected yet. Joy.
    2. Grayson. Did not take long at all.
    1. Batman '66. This project just makes me so happy.

I very nearly listed Batgirl, prematurely, just based on how effing good it looks.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Of what I read/have read;

1. Batman
    2. Batman Inc
    3. Batman Eternal
    4. Batman and Robin
    5. Harley Quinn/Detective Comics

Current ongoings that I read:
    1) Batman Eternal - Just rad. Everything I want in a Bat-book: All my favourite characters, cross-genre, fast moving.
    2) Grayson - If it keeps up the quality and the pace, this'll be one for the ages
    3) Batman - still great, though I wish Snyder would stop with the loooooong arcs

Books I dropped/finished:
    1) Batwoman - Up until JHW3 left, this was one of the best comics period, let alone Bat-books
    2) Batman Inc - Month-to-month impact was dulled by delays, but a satisfying conclusion to the epic run
    3) Birds Of Prey - Brilliant writing and art early on, scuppered by idiotic editorial interference
    4) Batgirl - As a resentful Steph fan, I still really tried to like this, but it was impossible

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default How would you guys rank the New 52 Bat-books from best to worst?

Here's my ranks:

1. Batman. Snyder is still the best current Batman writer and Capullo's art is just amazing. The Zero arc slowed the book down just a tad, IMO, but it's the best Bat-book being published right now.

2. Batman and Robin. Tomasi and Gleason are one of the best creative teams in comics. Unfortunately, they're second behind Snyder/Capullo, but not by much. You know a book is great when one of the characters in the title of the book gets killed and the book can still put out fantastic stories. While not as good as it was when Damian was running around with Batman (I really missed those days), it is still a very good book.

3. Detective Comics. Manpaul/Bucalleto's "Icarus" storyarc has been magnificent. Since it's only five issues in, It's too bad a whole new creative team is coming on board.

4. Batman Eternal. Wasn't sure how a weekly book was going to work out, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how good this book is. It started out a little slow, but every week it's got stronger.

5. Batman - The Dark Knight. This book started out really good. Jenkins and Finch worked well together. But then Hurwitz took over writing duties and I just can't get into his stories as much as the others (is it just me or is anyone else disappointed in his writing?). The artwork has been pretty solid though.

IMO, those are the top tier books, and these are the next tier down from them:

6. Batman - Superman. Pak and Lee's stories were pretty good. Not great, but not bad either. Since Lee left this book however, the artwork has been terrible. I don't know where DC gets these artists but you would think they would put top notch artists on their flagship character's books.

7. I'm just going to group these all together because they're equally good (or bad, depending on your point of view)---Grayson, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman and BoP. Gail Simone is a very good writer, but the artwork has been less than stellar on Batgirl. Please DC, get an artist that can tell a story from panel to panel.
    It's too bad that J.H. Williams isn't still doing the artwork on Batwoman, because his art alone is worth the price of admission. Maybe DC can ask him to collaborate with Simone on Batgirl. Now THAT would be sweet! I LOVE Catwoman as a character but again, the artwork (and stories to a lesser extant) haven't been good. There seems to be a theme here regarding the artists on these books. Nightwing is one of my favorite DC characters, but I hate what they have done to him. BoP is sloppy and a mess.

I'm not going to even discuss RH and the Outlaws because that book is simply awful.
    Last edited by The Whovian; 08-24-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Batman & Robin: the only bat book I'm still reading (besides Grayson and JL). Consistently been the best read IMO, honoring the myriad of others' works and finding a great balance. I honestly see this as the crux of the line, and without it, the various titles feel disconnected.

Batman Inc: sadly over, but was a fine swan song for GMo's epic run.

Grayson: 2 issue in and already better than everything else lol.

Batwoman: Till the creative shift, was quite excellent. The 6 month wait for the annual and being bummed by it has spoiled my interest in the book for now.

Batwing: the Winick stuff was amazing. But they killed this character once he left. I just couldn't swallow Bruce allowing Fox's son to just jump into the role when what felt like days earlier, he was holding his own biological son's bloodied corpse in his hands.

Batman: jumped off after 24. I enjoyed the Red Hood redux origin, but I was already finding it hard to keep myself excited. I still think Snyder hasn't written anything on par with Black Mirror, which is sadly now irrelevant.

Dark Knight: Read the Scarecrow arc. Enjoyed it, but not enough to dig deeper.

Detective: Haven't followed much since the first arc. Love Tony's art, but the only thing he wrote that I could stomach was Life After Death. Missed most of Layman's run and haven't had the time to check out the latest team. But whatever they do after this brief fill in, I may give a go.

BM/SM: Enjoyed the first arc. Love Jae Lee's art. Interest fizzled during the second arc. May jump back on after next month.

Batgirl: followed off and on, more off. Love Simone but as with most, prefer her writing Babs as Oracle and doing team books like BOP and SS.

Catwoman: Love Winick, but I couldn't stick around once he left.

Red Hood: Love Jason and the art, but the writing has just never clicked.

BOP: couldn't get through the first arc.

Nightwing: again, love the character but couldn't get behind the writing.

Harley Quinn, Teen Titans and Eternal: Haven't read'em yet.

Not in perfect order, but you get the idea. Did I miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    #1 Batman and Robin
    #2 Harley Quinn
    #3 Batman Eternal
    #4 Grayson
    #5 Batman
    #6 Batman eternal

Things I'm not reading but will in the future
    Red hood and the outlaws
    Batgirl
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    3. Detective Comics. Manpaul/Bucalleto's "Icarus" storyarc has been magnificent. Since it's only five issues in, It's too bad a whole new creative team is coming on board.
    I thought that Manpaul/Bucalleto would stay on Detective? They are still the writing team for October.

Yeah, theres just a 2 month fill in going on. They'll be back.

From what i still read:

1. DETECTIVE COMICS
    2. Red Hood and the Outlaws
    3. Batman (i did drop it after zero year concluded)
    4. Batman and Robin ( an issue by isue book for me.)
    And with the possible exception of Batman Beyond Universe, the rest is unreadable.

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    From what i still read:

1. DETECTIVE COMICS
    2. Red Hood and the Outlaws
    3. Batman (i did drop it after zero year concluded)
    4. Batman and Robin ( an issue by isue book for me.)
    And with the possible exception of Batman Beyond Universe, the rest is unreadable.
    How far did you get with Batman Eternal?